Is there something off about the game since the DLC? Im getting very frustrated....

2»

Comments

• DBAbyrdman
    64 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    HEY XBOX PEOPLE. There's definitely a few different things. I think there are a lot of better players on with the new maps just because they are the ones that are really into the game and willing to pay for premium.. also these grenades regenerating makes a huge difference. A couple weapons are different and I think people are finally realizing they need to play with a team to do well. If you guys wanted to do better and have more wins you should join a clan you're welcome to check out ours we always play The Objective and we care about our teammates and winning more than our own KD. We have a lot of fun and make a lot of friends we have members from all over the world there's always someone on to play with we have casual squads as well as competitive squads. No weird requirements or trials just apply at our website. www.tactgaming.net if you are on Xbox. Feel free to add me and message with any questions. RK BYRDMAN
  • DrakeCasanova
    573 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Im glad you were able to improve things with the new router. But the laggy menus are definitely not a network issues, its a game issue. My internet is 50Mb up/down and they are super laggy for me. Almost to the point that its a joke. If you hit the menu button in game you are going to die because the thing just freezes for 10 seconds. It shouldnt even be contacting the server at that point, its just bringing up a menu of thing to choose from. That needs to be fixed.
  • oof14346
    954 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Record clips of your problems and post them in the other thread.
  • sbvaughn88
    162 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 2017
    I totally agree, ever since the update and DLC the game runs very laggy and I have also been hit literally once by a Lewis and killed. Also I have been getting seriously spawn killed a lot since this update where before I may get spawn killed once or twice in a three hour span, today I was spawn killed 10 times in four hours and I'm spawning on objectives and team mates. Also the submachine guns are basically crap now, I've hit people today at close to medium range with the Hellreigel and MP18 at least 5 or 6 times and they lived!! Also hit detection is completely broken now, had sites right on a guy at medium range with GW95 shot three times and every shot missed him when he took up the entire sight. Not feeling this update at all, I'm not a bad player and I love this game but I'm a bit disappointed in how they are pandering to people crying about nerfing this buffing that. As for the grenade spam fix.....LMAO are you kidding me, I actually didn't notice it being a problem before but now its a joke.

Agreed, when an enemy team decided to lock down an entrance or area in the fort, there is no getting through and those pushes often last for more than 37 seconds, or whatever the grenade respawn timer is. So it stands to reason that 4 or 5 guys, especially if assault with anti tank grenades, can totally SPAM an area in an almost continuous fashion. I have noticed though that you take a significant amount LESS of explosive damage if you are laying down vs. standing up. The spawn killing does suck as well. On verdun Heights Operations, second sector if you spawn in on A (the church) it puts you on the back side of the hill directly in the line of fire from Snipers. I've learned to immediately start running and go prone in a bomb hole on the ground. Spawning in on squad mates is always risky if you are not mic'd up with them. Seriously, log into your router and check these settings out:
    1. MTU size. If its off you could be losing packets to and from the server. Mine is set to 1472. Here's how you can determine the right setting.
    Go to PC and type CMD in the search programs under the start menu
    Pull up command prompt and type this.... ping google.com -f -l 1400....Youll get a response in ms. the idea is to change the last number of 1400 and go up in increments of 10
    until you start losing packets. At that point go down in increments of 2 until you are at the highest you can go without packet loss.
    2. QoS- these vary from router to router but this is where you assign priority to certian ip addresses or specific devices regarding bandwidth. I had mine all screwed up. When my
    my wife would start watching Netflix while I was playing its like the crap switch was turned on. This will give highest priority to your xbox which shouldn't affect Netflix at all.
    3. Port Forwarding- Assign your xbox a static internal IP address or reserve an IP address in the router for it. Then Forward all the necessary ports for Xbox live and BF1. There
    several tutorials floating around the web about how to do this
    4. Make sure xbox is running a wired connection to router
    5. Turn on UPnP
    6. Play games with the Netgraph on and watch the Extra Offest numbers. If these get above 20-30 while in game (not spawn menu) you are not seeing what is actually going on in the server. Mine were running between 300 and 500 ms. until I fixed the settings in the router. MTU seemed to be a big one. No wonder I couldn't hit anyone.

I did all of these yesterday and played last night and I swear it was like playing a different game. Last night I dropped 3 enemies with a single magazine from the Ribeyerolles and one pistol shot....it used to take almost a full mag for me to down a guy and the second or third guy would have killed me. I still cant figure out why it seemed so worse after the DLC....maybe its like they have said, a lot better players playing which makes it more prominent?? I'll also say I'm FAR from a networking expert and there may be some guys out there who know a lot more about this than i do. I don't think I have said anything that will cause problems but maybe consult a few sources before making these changes. This is simply what I did and it seemed to work for me.
  • k1llermosquito
    234 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I like how this was a post about the game running a bit off and someone turns it into a damn clan pitch. lol
  • Michael_Seaman
    461 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited March 2017
    sbvaughn88 wrote: »
    1. MTU size. If its off you could be losing packets to and from the server. Mine is set to 1472. Here's how you can determine the right setting.

Just out of curiosity, why did you set your MTU to 1472? If that's the point at which you no longer lost packets you forgot to add 28 to that number to account for the packet header. So your MTU should actually be the max setting of 1500. If your ISP is cable then your MTU shouldn't be less than 1500 unless your ISP is restricting it for some reason.

Also, before you run your ping test to determine optimal MTU, you should connect your computer directly to the cable modem to make sure your router isn't messing with anything.

On another note, I wouldn't use port forwarding and Upnp together. Only one is necessary because they are redundant and some routers don't handle this well. Personally I prefer to put my Xbox in DMZ so that all ports are open and I don't have to worry about all the port forwarding stuff. It just seems more reliable.
  • doctor3d
    93 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited March 2017
    Also keep in mind, MTU only affects TCP packets. The in-game networking such as hit detection is most definitely going to be UDP. Changing MTU won't have any affect on that. Xbox One uses IPV4 to IPV6 tunneling so everything fits in a 1480 unit. But, this should only be when connecting through live directly. When you connect to a game server from within BF1 you're not routing through Xbox Live service - just using the service in conjunction with EA servers for verification (game license, Xbox gold verification) before you can connect online. After that you'll have some TCP connections (MTU-related) for the master server list, news, in-game store, and possibly character statistics page, etc - but when connecting to a game server and playing - the packets that affect actual gameplay are UDP.
  • sbvaughn88
    162 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Just out of curiosity, why did you set your MTU to 1472? If that's the point at which you no longer lost packets you forgot to add 28 to that number to account for the packet header. So your MTU should actually be the max setting of 1500. If your ISP is cable then your MTU shouldn't be less than 1500 unless your ISP is restricting it for some reason.

Also, before you run your ping test to determine optimal MTU, you should connect your computer directly to the cable modem to make sure your router isn't messing with anything.

On another note, I wouldn't use port forwarding and Upnp together. Only one is necessary because they are redundant and some routers don't handle this well. Personally I prefer to put my Xbox in DMZ so that all ports are open and I don't have to worry about all the port forwarding stuff. It just seems more reliable.

was hoping someone who was more knowledgeable about networking would come along and set me straight.....Thanks for the input. I did not know that about DMZ. I will make these changes asap.
  • Michael_Seaman
    461 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    No problem. Essentially all three options accomplish the same goal which is to achieve an open NAT. The difference is, for port forwarding you select which ports to open, UPnP automatically opens ports as needed but isn't reliable with some routers, and DMZ opens all ports. DMZ to me is the best option because you don't have to be concerned with what ports to open for different games and you can ensure you'll always have the right ports open.
  • sbvaughn88
    No problem. Essentially all three options accomplish the same goal which is to achieve an open NAT. The difference is, for port forwarding you select which ports to open, UPnP automatically opens ports as needed but isn't reliable with some routers, and DMZ opens all ports. DMZ to me is the best option because you don't have to be concerned with what ports to open for different games and you can ensure you'll always have the right ports open.

Thank you for explaining this.....I can see why choosing the DMZ seems like the best option and why also that running multiple things trying to do the same thing might "confuse" the router and cause problems. i have turned off any Port Forwarding, UPnP and set my xbox in the DMZ. It was instantly better when I made these changes over doing nothing but I have also noticed some weird chat issues and other small problems. Overall the game plays much better lately
    oof14346 wrote: »
    I think there is some definite merit to what the everyone has said, let me also say that I have experienced all of these things at some time or another throughout playing the game, it's just that with the DLC it seems to be happening 200% more of the time. I consider myself a slightly above average player. The one guy I kept getting owned by in a match last night (0-7)that I mentioned before, I looked up his stats just to see if he was like a 6 k/d player.....he was a 1.2 k/d player and I am a 2.3 k/d player. (2.4 something before DLC) He had a 0-7 advantage against me and was jittering so bad I couldn't land shots on him....this is what is so frustrating and it seems I can't land shots on 3/4 of the team. Only the snipers sitting still... I've switched back to the weapons I'm very good with and still cannot land shots in these guys yet my sights or reticle are DIRECTLY in their body.

So my question is this in response to the other comments....I understand what one of the previous guys said about me still being in their screen getting shot while on my screen I'm 5 feet behind cover due to net code smoothing out the game for players with different pings... but why is it his shots will land and my shots will not? Is it because what I am seeing is not a true representation of what's going on in the game (which seems like it would be the case if I was lagging with high ping??)

At any rate, if you can't retreat to cover without getting shot and you can't land shots that are perfectly lined up, the game mechanics are broken and unplayable....and my stats of late would support that

If I can understand what's happening that will help me to be less angry about it and I might be able to "get over it" and have fun anyways if I know it's not my fault and there's no amount of "git gud" will fix it...

Play with the net graph on. Record clips and post them in the "Hit detection" thread.

So I have managed to record a few clips, Ive searched for a thread on how to upload them but not having any luck.......can you give a quick explanation on how to do this? thanks
  • lionking7001
    219 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    @sbvaughn88

One easy way is just to use One drive. Download the app on your Xbox and your phone or computer. Set up your account, same as Xbox account.

Record a clip then share it to One drive and then share it further to maybe this forum. Looks like this.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AuJbbl6pkIS2iUmEj7p9JcbK-63v
  • ahdgfjd
    12 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I've been having serious issues with lag for about a week now. Everything on my end appears to be fine. My NAT type is open. My speeds on speedtest.net and xbox both are almost always 93/93. My in game ping usually averages 25-30. Packet loss is 0%. Extra offset usually averages 35-45. But the game looks like a slideshow. I skip around everywhere. I have 0 problems with hit detection though. My shots register fine just like they always have. The game just skips like crazy!!
  • stuwooster
    279 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Try a re-install?
  • k1llermosquito
    234 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Noticed today the game was rubber banding really bad, then it would play fine, had a bunch of deaths when on my screen I was around a corner and was dead, also shot a guy point blank with a tank cannon and got a hit marker and he scrambled off lol, Checked all my settings on my net and everything was up and running just fine. Kinda annoying as it seems to be happening a lot more after the DLC update.
  • BGHFlakjacket
    1264 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    You can usually tell how your game is going to go based off the hit detection of your shots. In games that I know the hit detection is poor for me, then I leave the server after the game. Sometimes things will be fine for several games and then total garbage. When you start getting shot behind walls and buildings, then it is time to change the server.
  • MARAUDER71
    95 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    V99999 wrote: »
    Don't take this the wrong way but outside of your k/d you're not a very good player. Looking at your stats you play mainly for yourself and not your team. You don't cap or defend flags your accuracy is mediocre for a assault and actually pretty terrible for someone who mains the scout class no resupply or heals. The maps are small and hard to hide on for very long plus a lot of the premium members are good at this game. They are not going to take you hiding out for a bunch of easy kills for very long

Well the great thing is this is still America and you are entitled to your opinions. I thought statements like "I realize that Im not the best player out there" and "I mainly play Operations" would somewhat insulate me from this becoming a thread about my stats, instead hoping to keep it on the issues which seem to be network and netcode related judging by similar posts on this very forum, other answers in this thread, and other guys I have played with. The thread is about the game feeling different after the DLC....that's all. I included my stats along with all of my other information to provide a clear picture of my setup, internet settings, TV settings, and to rule out anyone thinking I had not really put in adequate time with the game to judge performance before and after the DLC launch....But since you brought it up, Ill say a few things in response to your comments:

1. You may have missed the part where I said I played Operations mainly. Pretty much exclusively and until recently I played by myself because I didn't have many other friends who had the game. Conquest is boring to me and I don't care for all the running back and forth....Having said that I have played 662 total games, had 1322 flag captures, and 2509 flag defends. That works out to 5.78 "flag oriented" actions per Operations game. Now given the fact that in any given Operations game there are A LOT LESS capture points, with anywhere from half to the entire enemy team shooting at you from these points this is a bit more of a challenge than your typical Conquest flag. Since there are only about 16 capture points per map, and I can go to only one of them at a time while the other half of our team goes to the other....thats only about 8 possible flags I could be on in an entire game that goes the full 2 maps (when in reality most do not......). So it stands to reason that In a full game of Operations, I might capture or defend 5, get killed right before my team caps 2 of them, and not make it to one of them before its taken for whatever reason. I think your analysis is not correct because I ALWAYS try to play the Objective and constantly get frustrated at players sitting in tanks at the back of the map, too many snipers not doing anything, etc. and us not having enough players to take the Flag. The biggest overall Objective in Operations is to stay alive because we lose a ticket every time a death occurs if attacking. If defending, your main objective is to stop the enemy team from capturing their points by killing them. I try to clean off as many enemies as possible, throw up a second flare to confirm that there are only a few enemies left, then run in as quickly as possible before the other team has time to re-spawn and get back on the capture point. Admittedly, there is a WHOLE LOT of room for improvement in my playing but I am far from the kill ****, k/d padding, hill camping crappy team mate you are making me out to be........I cant stand those players just as much as you cant.

2. My accuracy with the rifles I play with most is over 32%? Sometimes I try and shoot a sniper across the map who's shooting at us and I miss several shots with the carbine or iron sights.....I thought that accuracy wasn't so bad. My overall accuracy is also lower at 18% but I'm attributing this to all of the LMG shots at Behemoth gunners and trying to stop an enemy team advance in an area while playing defense in Operations where I didn't hit anyone, shooting through gas or smoke, and flat out missing sometimes. Most of the time pre DLC, I typically had no trouble shooting enemies and getting kills though. I'll freely admit to anyone my accuracy could improve by way of target tracking. I sometimes have trouble staying on target when enemies are moving horizontally to me.....I'm trying to improve this. But a big complaint of mine is hit detection which would certainly negatively affect your accuracy stat. And there are DEFINITE certain matches when It feels like none of my shots will land and this can change from match to match

3. Admittedly medic and support are not my best classes which is why I play them the least. I play best as Scout, tanker, or assault and I play these because I want to be as effective as possible in winning and have the most fun possible. Plus, I am more help to my team if I am playing the classes and strategies i am best with. Often I will try to venture outside of my comfort zone and play with new weapons and try different play styles....this has been the fun of the game for me up until recently when our team is gets crushed in every match regardless of what I do or what class I play. We often cannot make it past the first sector on Devil's Anvil with or without a full squad.

4. Lastly I am a 39 year old casual gamer who has a family, kids, job, etc. I get on late at night for a few hours to have fun. I am a competitive person by nature but I FULLY realize I do not have the aim, reflex skills, and situational awareness that some players such as yourself probably have. Regardless of this fact, prior to the DLC launch I still seemed to manage to place well most matches, kill plenty of bad guys, and have a lot of fun doing it. I also have an 8 week old child and lately I have had to quit many matches due to baby emergencies which is a reason my W/L ratio had dropped. I have truly enjoyed this game and I don't want to get frustrated to the point of putting it away as a few of my friends already have. I appreciate the answers and the responses from everyone Including this one however, I am more interested to know If you have had any of the problems I described in the OP or know of any solutions....Thanks

Right on man.. 45 year old gamer here. Right with you... I play pretty well for the amount of time I get to play.. there's nothing wrong with your stats... My accuracy is atrocious because like you, I just spam fire through smoke and gas to keep heads down.. I finish top 10 most games I play.. and I'm cool with that.... WhataFrick is my GT... Look me up sometime... I'll play with ya..
  • Apocalypse4805
    73 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    This.
  • sbvaughn88
    Maruader71 I'd love to play...I'll try to find you next time I get on....what region do you play in? I'm in North Georgia so I play in US East mainly.
  • sbvaughn88
    You can usually tell how your game is going to go based off the hit detection of your shots. In games that I know the hit detection is poor for me, then I leave the server after the game. Sometimes things will be fine for several games and then total garbage. When you start getting shot behind walls and buildings, then it is time to change the server.[/quote

Totally agree. I've been doing this for the past several days and been having more fun with it. It's literally like an on/off switch in my games. When the game runs good, I have good games and then something....I'm not sure exactly what happens and hit detection becomes so atrocious that I literally dump entire mags into guys 15 feet away to then get killed in one shot by the friggin Lewis Gun. I change servers and we're back in business.