Having trouble accessing the forums? Try logging out of the forums completely - clear cache, cookies, and temp files - then restart the browser and log in. Thanks!

Hit Detection

Comments

• denjoga
    501 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    This is what happend to me 3 days ago if you look at the support laying on the ground how many of my shots just dont register. :( xboxdvr.com/gamer/zardon1/video/28961722#t=30

Yup. This^. Constantly.
    This is why I don't bother to record stuff, because if I recorded a clip every time this happened, I'd fill my hard drive in one night's session.
  • lizzard
    822 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    lizzard wrote: »
    mischkag wrote: »
    @em1LL77: Maybe its me having a bad day, but what is wrong in the video and what do u exactly mean by 'hits are miscalculated'?

@BaronVonGoon: Bullet hit detection is performed at full framerate, but that does not mean they fly faster, just the hit is potentially registered earlier. So as the firing rate determines how quick a new bullet is spawned, the hit detection is based on the bullets velocity and not firing rate of the weapon. There is much more to a weapon than just rpm (spead, velocity, damage, falloff...).

@lizzard: I dont see how that is the games fault? The weapons are setup in a way mimicing the real weapon. What should change in your opinion to make it feel better for you?

How? Ööömmmhh..

Automatico = hig rate of fire, close quarters wepon. Designed to be affective in close quarters combat, effective and accurate while hipfighering!
    How would I enjoy being killed by a slow lumping guy, with a heavy lmg with low rate of fire and horrible hipfigher accuracy!?

He's not the weapon designer. Why don't you ask Kertz that question?

Because if the game worked as intended, the Automatico would destroy the Lewis gun user in close quarters.. I sertenly cant run around and kill automatico users if I use the Levis gun..
  • mischkag
    214 postsMember, Developer
    @Crimsonforce66: Regarding the first video. I checked the collision setup and cloth rendering and all. You pretty much just hit above the collision into the top of the helmet and cloth when u missed. I dont think it is a bug, sorry.They have thick cloth.
    The second video issue is hopefully addressed by our recent fixes to the invisible character.

@KingTolapsium: I think u got a point there. But say you are a 30ms pinger and hit a 130ms pinger, are 50ms (half way) really worth thinking about in terms of suppression? If we are at this point, i am pretty happy with the overall hit registration :)

@em1LL77: My guess is that they guy has just spawned in (as he does not move). Spawn protection in BF1 is a damage reduction multiplier, not invincibility.
    I see your frustration, best would be to not spawn guys there in that moment :(
  • BaronVonGoon
    2753 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited March 30
    @em1LL77: Maybe its me having a bad day, but what is wrong in the video and what do u exactly mean by 'hits are miscalculated'?

@BaronVonGoon: Bullet hit detection is performed at full framerate, but that does not mean they fly faster, just the hit is potentially registered earlier. So as the firing rate determines how quick a new bullet is spawned, the hit detection is based on the bullets velocity and not firing rate of the weapon. There is much more to a weapon than just rpm (spead, velocity, damage, falloff...).

@lizzard: I dont see how that is the games fault? The weapons are setup in a way mimicing the real weapon. What should change in your opinion to make it feel better for you?

How? Ööömmmhh..

Automatico = hig rate of fire, close quarters wepon. Designed to be affective in close quarters combat, effective and accurate while hipfighering!
    How would I enjoy being killed by a slow lumping guy, with a heavy lmg with low rate of fire and horrible hipfigher accuracy!?

He's not the weapon designer. Why don't you ask Kertz that question?

Because if the game worked as intended, the Automatico would destroy the Lewis gun user in close quarters.. I sertenly cant run around and kill automatico users if I use the Levis gun..

Aim is a factor. A Selbstlader user can kill a shotgun user in CQB.

CQB:
    automatico needs 5 bullets to kill at 269 ms.
    I bet you miss ATLEAST 1. So now you need 6 bullets, or 20% more time to kill = 1.2 * 5 = 323 ms

Lewis needs 5 bullets to kill at 501 ms
    Suppose he gets one head shot in there and doesn’t miss any bullets because its CQB and the Lewis is a laser (Unlike your automatico) so now it’s a 4 bullet kill instead of 5, or 20% less time to kill = .8 x 501 = 401 ms

Unless my math is off, you can see how easily variables change time to kill. What if he gets 2 headshots? What if you miss more than 1 bullet? Many possibilities.
    Simply having the Automatico doesn’t guarantee a kill in CQB.

• mischkag
    Just talked to one of my weapon designers about the spawn protection. Would it make sense and seem useful to you to provide a slightly different color for the hitmarker if you hit a guy while he is still under spawn protection? If so, what color do u suggest?
  • jdbelcher1998
    546 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Just talked to one of my weapon designers about the spawn protection. Would it make sense and seem useful to you to provide a slightly different color for the hitmarker if you hit a guy while he is still under spawn protection? If so, what color do u suggest?

Well, many of us I assume customize our hit marker colors already—for instance I have my hits red, headshots yellow, kills purple. It's just easier for me to track damage that way in low visibility. Meaning, you'd have to use some color that was bracketed out from the hit marker color customization for this to work I think, right?
  • mischkag
    Makes sense. So does it sound like a useful feature to you? Was more thinking about what default color as not everyone colorizes their hitmarkers :)
  • oJU5T1No
    817 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    It would just be better if we didn't spawn on top of each other, I mean all that space on the maps and we all spawn on top of each other really?.
  • jdbelcher1998
    546 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Makes sense. So does it sound like a useful feature to you? Was more thinking about what default color as not everyone colorizes their hitmarkers :)

Definitely makes sense. And for those of us that do I can just change a color if it's taken by this feature. Would be cool. Thanks!
  • mischkag
    @oJU5T1No: I agree but that is another issue.
  • xXGugusseXx
    9 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

that would be a great idea and would certainly avoid any false idea about netcode (and some very bad words said against the game when you are 100% sure you hit the guy but he didn't die :) )

green would be a good color IMO. But isn't it possible to make the player "glow" while in spawn protection mode ? So you know there's no need to shoot him BEFORE, while colored hitmarkers give you this information AFTER (I'm thinking about those moments when you are almost out of ammo and when it would be better not to fire the few bullets you have for nothing...).

• mischkag
    Thought about that too. I personally like less UI more than more UI. And you actually do impede damage, just less. So i dont want to give the impression he is invincible.
  • BaronVonGoon
    2753 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

@mischkag I think the time you are in spawn protection is small but big enough for you to mistake putting enough bullets into the guy. So a different color hitmarker would be helpful. Most of us already use red or green or pink for headshot and killshots. It would have to be different. Purple or orange?
  • oJU5T1No
    817 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Could we not maybe have an audio cue every time someone spawns near us.
  • jdbelcher1998
    oJU5T1No wrote: »
    Could we not maybe have an audio cue every time someone spawns near us.

That's kinda already there—usually the guy will go: "Hey how are ya?" or something to that effect. Always some kind of greeting like that. Kind of funny. :)
  • KingTolapsium
    5165 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited March 30
    @KingTolapsium: I think u got a point there. But say you are a 30ms pinger and hit a 130ms pinger, are 50ms (half way) really worth thinking about in terms of suppression? If we are at this point, i am pretty happy with the overall hit registration :)

At values that low? I would not think any delay would be required. I was thinking more along the lines of enemies with 350ms+ ping (175 halfway).

With most weapons suppression does not manifest instantly, but with snipers due to first shot deviation under suppression, this is an issue.

I'm pretty happy as well, but one thing I'm seeing regarding hit detection is the arm blocking higher damage areas, head/chest.

For clarifying spawn protection I would want a "rounder" hit marker, something that looks less lethal, to show the difference in damage (maybe four circles, instead of four arrows), color seems an ineffective solution as so many have already augmented the hitmarker color values.
  • BaronVonGoon
    @mischkag

Now I remember what I wanted to ask you. The netgraph on PC can be moved around the screen but not on console. My question is it possible to remove the graphic illustration and just keep the table with the data? Or atleast have the option of moving it around the screen.

Many of us on console play on default FOV of 55 (90 on PC) so the netgraph takes up more space in our FOV.
  • KingTolapsium
    5165 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    @mischkag

Now I remember what I wanted to ask you. The netgraph on PC can be moved around the screen but not on console. My question is it possible to remove the graphic illustration and just keep the table with the data? Or atleast have the option of moving it around the screen.

Many of us on console play on default FOV of 55 (90 on PC) so the netgraph takes up more space in our FOV.

I really like the idea of a "mini netgraph" or a "netgraph light" in the top right-ish.

Moving things around would be convenient aswell, but at its current size, the netgraph is always going to be intrusive to gameplay, regardless of placement.

Most of the time I just have the netgraph on as a "witness" for my connection's stability, it would be nice to have something smaller that could attest to the same stability without also eating so much screen space.
  • BaronVonGoon
    @mischkag

I really like the idea of a "mini netgraph" or a "netgraph light" in the top right-ish.

Moving things around would be convenient aswell, but at its current size, the netgraph is always going to be intrusive to gameplay, regardless of placement.

Most of the time I just have the netgraph on as a "witness" for my connection's stability, it would be nice to have something smaller that could attest to the same stability without also eating so much screen space.

Absolutely. Netgraph light with just the data would be great. I have it on all the time because I usually stay away from servers were my latency goes above 60 or svr tick above 12.
  • VBALL_MVP
    3435 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

I think an icon should be on top. Like in BF4 with the defensive perk.