Having trouble accessing the forums? Try logging out of the forums completely - clear cache, cookies, and temp files - then restart the browser and log in. Thanks!

Hit Detection

Comments

  • jdbelcher1998
    336 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    mischkag wrote: »
    Just talked to one of my weapon designers about the spawn protection. Would it make sense and seem useful to you to provide a slightly different color for the hitmarker if you hit a guy while he is still under spawn protection? If so, what color do u suggest?

    Well, many of us I assume customize our hit marker colors already—for instance I have my hits red, headshots yellow, kills purple. It's just easier for me to track damage that way in low visibility. Meaning, you'd have to use some color that was bracketed out from the hit marker color customization for this to work I think, right?
  • mischkag
    159 postsMember, Developer
    Makes sense. So does it sound like a useful feature to you? Was more thinking about what default color as not everyone colorizes their hitmarkers :)
  • oJU5T1No
    663 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    It would just be better if we didn't spawn on top of each other, I mean all that space on the maps and we all spawn on top of each other really?.
  • jdbelcher1998
    336 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    mischkag wrote: »
    Makes sense. So does it sound like a useful feature to you? Was more thinking about what default color as not everyone colorizes their hitmarkers :)

    Definitely makes sense. And for those of us that do I can just change a color if it's taken by this feature. Would be cool. Thanks!
  • mischkag
    159 postsMember, Developer
    @oJU5T1No: I agree but that is another issue.
  • xXGugusseXx
    8 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    mischkag wrote: »
    Just talked to one of my weapon designers about the spawn protection. Would it make sense and seem useful to you to provide a slightly different color for the hitmarker if you hit a guy while he is still under spawn protection? If so, what color do u suggest?

    that would be a great idea and would certainly avoid any false idea about netcode (and some very bad words said against the game when you are 100% sure you hit the guy but he didn't die :) )

    green would be a good color IMO. But isn't it possible to make the player "glow" while in spawn protection mode ? So you know there's no need to shoot him BEFORE, while colored hitmarkers give you this information AFTER (I'm thinking about those moments when you are almost out of ammo and when it would be better not to fire the few bullets you have for nothing...).

  • mischkag
    159 postsMember, Developer
    Thought about that too. I personally like less UI more than more UI. And you actually do impede damage, just less. So i dont want to give the impression he is invincible.
  • BaronVonGoon
    2619 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    mischkag wrote: »
    Just talked to one of my weapon designers about the spawn protection. Would it make sense and seem useful to you to provide a slightly different color for the hitmarker if you hit a guy while he is still under spawn protection? If so, what color do u suggest?

    @mischkag I think the time you are in spawn protection is small but big enough for you to mistake putting enough bullets into the guy. So a different color hitmarker would be helpful. Most of us already use red or green or pink for headshot and killshots. It would have to be different. Purple or orange?
  • oJU5T1No
    663 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Could we not maybe have an audio cue every time someone spawns near us.
  • jdbelcher1998
    336 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    oJU5T1No wrote: »
    Could we not maybe have an audio cue every time someone spawns near us.

    That's kinda already there—usually the guy will go: "Hey how are ya?" or something to that effect. Always some kind of greeting like that. Kind of funny. :)
  • KingTolapsium
    4689 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited March 30
    mischkag wrote: »
    @KingTolapsium: I think u got a point there. But say you are a 30ms pinger and hit a 130ms pinger, are 50ms (half way) really worth thinking about in terms of suppression? If we are at this point, i am pretty happy with the overall hit registration :)

    At values that low? I would not think any delay would be required. I was thinking more along the lines of enemies with 350ms+ ping (175 halfway).

    With most weapons suppression does not manifest instantly, but with snipers due to first shot deviation under suppression, this is an issue.

    I'm pretty happy as well, but one thing I'm seeing regarding hit detection is the arm blocking higher damage areas, head/chest.

    For clarifying spawn protection I would want a "rounder" hit marker, something that looks less lethal, to show the difference in damage (maybe four circles, instead of four arrows), color seems an ineffective solution as so many have already augmented the hitmarker color values.
  • BaronVonGoon
    2619 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    @mischkag

    Now I remember what I wanted to ask you. The netgraph on PC can be moved around the screen but not on console. My question is it possible to remove the graphic illustration and just keep the table with the data? Or atleast have the option of moving it around the screen.

    Many of us on console play on default FOV of 55 (90 on PC) so the netgraph takes up more space in our FOV.
  • KingTolapsium
    4689 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    @mischkag

    Now I remember what I wanted to ask you. The netgraph on PC can be moved around the screen but not on console. My question is it possible to remove the graphic illustration and just keep the table with the data? Or atleast have the option of moving it around the screen.

    Many of us on console play on default FOV of 55 (90 on PC) so the netgraph takes up more space in our FOV.

    I really like the idea of a "mini netgraph" or a "netgraph light" in the top right-ish.

    Moving things around would be convenient aswell, but at its current size, the netgraph is always going to be intrusive to gameplay, regardless of placement.

    Most of the time I just have the netgraph on as a "witness" for my connection's stability, it would be nice to have something smaller that could attest to the same stability without also eating so much screen space.
  • BaronVonGoon
    2619 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    @mischkag

    Now I remember what I wanted to ask you. The netgraph on PC can be moved around the screen but not on console. My question is it possible to remove the graphic illustration and just keep the table with the data? Or atleast have the option of moving it around the screen.

    Many of us on console play on default FOV of 55 (90 on PC) so the netgraph takes up more space in our FOV.

    I really like the idea of a "mini netgraph" or a "netgraph light" in the top right-ish.

    Moving things around would be convenient aswell, but at its current size, the netgraph is always going to be intrusive to gameplay, regardless of placement.

    Most of the time I just have the netgraph on as a "witness" for my connection's stability, it would be nice to have something smaller that could attest to the same stability without also eating so much screen space.

    Absolutely. Netgraph light with just the data would be great. I have it on all the time because I usually stay away from servers were my latency goes above 60 or svr tick above 12.
  • VBALL_MVP
    2669 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    mischkag wrote: »
    Makes sense. So does it sound like a useful feature to you? Was more thinking about what default color as not everyone colorizes their hitmarkers :)

    I think an icon should be on top. Like in BF4 with the defensive perk.
  • lizzard
    545 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    lizzard wrote: »
    lizzard wrote: »
    mischkag wrote: »
    @em1LL77: Maybe its me having a bad day, but what is wrong in the video and what do u exactly mean by 'hits are miscalculated'?

    @BaronVonGoon: Bullet hit detection is performed at full framerate, but that does not mean they fly faster, just the hit is potentially registered earlier. So as the firing rate determines how quick a new bullet is spawned, the hit detection is based on the bullets velocity and not firing rate of the weapon. There is much more to a weapon than just rpm (spead, velocity, damage, falloff...).

    @lizzard: I dont see how that is the games fault? The weapons are setup in a way mimicing the real weapon. What should change in your opinion to make it feel better for you?

    How? Ööömmmhh..

    Automatico = hig rate of fire, close quarters wepon. Designed to be affective in close quarters combat, effective and accurate while hipfighering!
    How would I enjoy being killed by a slow lumping guy, with a heavy lmg with low rate of fire and horrible hipfigher accuracy!?

    He's not the weapon designer. Why don't you ask Kertz that question?

    Because if the game worked as intended, the Automatico would destroy the Lewis gun user in close quarters.. I sertenly cant run around and kill automatico users if I use the Levis gun..

    Aim is a factor. A Selbstlader user can kill a shotgun user in CQB.

    CQB:
    automatico needs 5 bullets to kill at 269 ms.
    I bet you miss ATLEAST 1. So now you need 6 bullets, or 20% more time to kill = 1.2 * 5 = 323 ms

    Lewis needs 5 bullets to kill at 501 ms
    Suppose he gets one head shot in there and doesn’t miss any bullets because its CQB and the Lewis is a laser (Unlike your automatico) so now it’s a 4 bullet kill instead of 5, or 20% less time to kill = .8 x 501 = 401 ms

    Unless my math is off, you can see how easily variables change time to kill. What if he gets 2 headshots? What if you miss more than 1 bullet? Many possibilities.
    Simply having the Automatico doesn’t guarantee a kill in CQB.

    Yes I understand what you're saying.
    Going in against a prone player that's using a bipoded Levis gun, is bound to result in disaster! I wouldn't complain about that..

    Im thinking of the times you met someone inside a room. Running in to someone around a corner.
    Or a Levis gun user that simply comes running in to a room.

    I know if I try to use the Levis gun as a run and gun wepon, I won't be able to hit anything!

    @mischkag
    A gamemode without suppression effects would be really nice, then we could eliminate one thing that makes the game a random kill generator!
    And get a better feel for what's going on in the game.

    Could be under custom games.
    And also Maybe a server option in rental?
  • mischkag
    159 postsMember, Developer
    @lizard: Well suppression is a game element that makes sense and has a tactical purpose. If you feel strongly about this, plz create a new forum thread. I am not a designer :(
    @BaronVonGoon: I have it in my TODO list to provide a minimal option...just havent gotten to it. yet
  • BaronVonGoon
    2619 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    lizzard wrote: »
    lizzard wrote: »
    lizzard wrote: »
    mischkag wrote: »
    @em1LL77: Maybe its me having a bad day, but what is wrong in the video and what do u exactly mean by 'hits are miscalculated'?

    @BaronVonGoon: Bullet hit detection is performed at full framerate, but that does not mean they fly faster, just the hit is potentially registered earlier. So as the firing rate determines how quick a new bullet is spawned, the hit detection is based on the bullets velocity and not firing rate of the weapon. There is much more to a weapon than just rpm (spead, velocity, damage, falloff...).

    @lizzard: I dont see how that is the games fault? The weapons are setup in a way mimicing the real weapon. What should change in your opinion to make it feel better for you?

    How? Ööömmmhh..

    Automatico = hig rate of fire, close quarters wepon. Designed to be affective in close quarters combat, effective and accurate while hipfighering!
    How would I enjoy being killed by a slow lumping guy, with a heavy lmg with low rate of fire and horrible hipfigher accuracy!?

    He's not the weapon designer. Why don't you ask Kertz that question?

    Because if the game worked as intended, the Automatico would destroy the Lewis gun user in close quarters.. I sertenly cant run around and kill automatico users if I use the Levis gun..

    Aim is a factor. A Selbstlader user can kill a shotgun user in CQB.

    CQB:
    automatico needs 5 bullets to kill at 269 ms.
    I bet you miss ATLEAST 1. So now you need 6 bullets, or 20% more time to kill = 1.2 * 5 = 323 ms

    Lewis needs 5 bullets to kill at 501 ms
    Suppose he gets one head shot in there and doesn’t miss any bullets because its CQB and the Lewis is a laser (Unlike your automatico) so now it’s a 4 bullet kill instead of 5, or 20% less time to kill = .8 x 501 = 401 ms

    Unless my math is off, you can see how easily variables change time to kill. What if he gets 2 headshots? What if you miss more than 1 bullet? Many possibilities.
    Simply having the Automatico doesn’t guarantee a kill in CQB.

    Yes I understand what you're saying.
    Going in against a prone player that's using a bipoded Levis gun, is bound to result in disaster! I wouldn't complain about that..

    Im thinking of the times you met someone inside a room. Running in to someone around a corner.
    Or a Levis gun user that simply comes running in to a room.

    I know if I try to use the Levis gun as a run and gun wepon, I won't be able to hit anything!

    honestly that's what I thought too when this game released. Im not as effective with anything other than LMGs now. They're definitely not as good in CQB but the probability of getting multikills is higher than other guns due to the large mags and that --to me-- is addictive. My worst fear is running into a room with 7 enemies and having to reload after I kill 2. Lol

  • BanyanTree
    124 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited March 30
    mischkag wrote: »
    Just talked to one of my weapon designers about the spawn protection. Would it make sense and seem useful to you to provide a slightly different color for the hitmarker if you hit a guy while he is still under spawn protection? If so, what color do u suggest?

    @mischkag It's a great idea. I suggest a completely different shape hit marker (square?) so that it is unambiguous and cannot be mistaken for a user's own setting for regular hit markers.
  • lizzard
    545 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    mischkag wrote: »
    @lizard: Well suppression is a game element that makes sense and has a tactical purpose. If you feel strongly about this, plz create a new forum thread. I am not a designer :(
    @BaronVonGoon: I have it in my TODO list to provide a minimal option...just havent gotten to it. yet

    I know its not your section. I'm simply mentioning it because it effects how we perceive the game and the netcode!

    And to be honest, can you really say that having your bullets fly everywere exept at the thing your aiming at. Is a realistic feature?
    Blurred wision, is maybe Okey.
    But increased spread? Higer recoil?

    Those things really doesn't make your work any easier.
    And it doesn't make the gameplay experience any better.

    Sure someone can create a new thread regarding suppression mechanics..
    Then that thread can be neglected among the other 100 suppression thread's.

    Anyhow, its going to be fun to see how the game plays after the next patch. Im assuming your netcode changes will be implemented then.
    Thanks again for your efforts in making the game better.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!