Weekly BF

No point to half of the shotguns....

Khronikos
2146 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
Why do we have so many shotguns that serve no purpose in this game? They nerfed the Model 10a Hunter already and it still does everything you need a shotgun to do and more. There is literally almost no reason to use anything but a Model 10a Slug or Hunter in this game unless you are getting very particular and want to try out the 12g now and then. I find the m97 to be almost useless, although I am sure there are people that use it.

The M97 is basically garbage auto aim yourself into a coffin unless I think you use the backbored? It barely works at 5 feet let alone anything else. I try the other shotguns now and then but I just can't really get into any of them much besides the Model 10a.

I mean against good headshotters you have only have one shot with the shotguns most of the time. If you miss that you are toast. I don't even see the point in these supposed choke hole shotguns that never do what they are supposed to. There are still so many grenades out there and guns with such ferocity even from 20m that you better pray no one sees you to handle these things. Getting that close barely even works in trenches. The aim is so messed up you are bound to miss a shot and get yourself wiped from behind as they hear your massive shotgun auto itself into the ground.

What do people think about the shotguns? I am by no means an expert, but I am rarely killed by a lot of the shotguns. It seems only a small few are what people can be comfortable with even after the weapon balancing that has been going on. I don't speak for everyone, but I think they need to sort out the weapon balance for assault better.

Comments

• Khronikos
    2146 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Post got deleted. Sorry lol. I read like half of that good post. Jeez. Anyway, maybe you could sum that up in fewer words. I am not sure how this was deleted. Weird.
  • Khronikos
    edited March 2017
    So yeah the only time I can ever find a use for the M97 is playing around a lot of houses like Suez DM and the like. Other places, even places that are small like Fort, it basically just fails for the most part. I basically need you to not know where I am with this gun, and that is always a sign of a bad gun.

I can headshot well, so these shotguns to the last one of them are nearly useless. I feel like shotguns up super close just need more power. Not huge buffs, but SOMETHING. And the 10a Hunter could still probably use 6% or so range nerf.

I feel the Hunter competes up close as well as anything. And I'm not sure how that is balanced totally. Because it doesn't seem like it is. The M97 should get something. I think even slightly faster fire or slightly less recoil would make these shotguns a lot more viable.

Right now Shotgun world in BF1 sucks. Like it always has. But Dice seems too busy nerfing random things to consider overall balance. I sure hope the idea of doing weapons for reward guns is giving them more feedback on these guns. I really have no idea how they think the M97 is A okay atm.
  • A1337chicken
    464 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Khronikos wrote: »
    Post got deleted. Sorry lol. I read like half of that good post. Jeez. Anyway, maybe you could sum that up in fewer words. I am not sure how this was deleted. Weird.

FIX YER FORUMS DICE

Anyways, yes the M10A has much too many benefits compared to the other three shotguns. It has range, which I wouldn't have an issue with if the other shotguns came close to the same range, but they do not. More importantly though, the M10A is consistent, while the others will leave you guessing. I use the M97 and Auto-5 and get OHKs at ten metres, and then I'll do 85 damage at point blank after three shots. In videos of the Sjögren, I see the same phenomenon.
    I feel all shotguns should be a OHK within 2-3 metres, nor would I mind the others having OHK ranges ascending from 7 or so for the Auto-5 (fastest ROF) to the M10A's 15 (slowest ROF). Additionally I would slow the pump on the M10A: it's currently at 78 RPM, but 60 would be more fair, to cement it's position as a heavy-hitting, risk vs reward weapon.
  • CHAOTIC_PIEMAN
    216 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    The slug and the. Sjorgen isnt tht bad
  • kampkaos_420_
    2675 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    They work just fine. The slug could use a tad more range though.
  • Khronikos
    edited March 2017
    Except they don't really work fine. They are nearly useless and I would never be caught dead using them for most maps in TDM, a mode they should be useful in. Yes, a couple of the shotguns work, notably the ones that kill in one hit. The other shotguns are nearly useless. The backbore is probably the only decent M97 shotgun, and in reality the gun is outclassed at every level by something else.

The 12g is redundant for the most part, but you can make a variant work in certain maps. The m10a is a beast and the ONLY reliable class of shotgun. And I have no idea why the F'ing Hunter is still competing with the Slug in range sometimes.

At any rate the post above got it right. THESE GUNS, besides the M10a, whether because of lag or their parameters, ARE EXTREMELY INCONSISTENT.

The M97 is just trash for consistency. You can sometimes whack a guy off in the stomach for a kill in one shot if he is slightly injured, but hell no you actually aim the thing at someone's head and fire three times and you are sitting face down in a bunker against any good headshotter by the time the third shot rings out and misses completely.
  • ChannonJ
    173 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Shotguns and TDM. No.
  • CHAOTIC_PIEMAN
    216 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Why are you so salty in every post u make
  • ChannonJ
    173 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Why are you so salty in every post u make

Had a bad session on bf, so felt compelled to come on here and moan. Sorry.
  • rua_taniwha
    85 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I barely use shotguns. Mostly cause it is one shot and done if you miss. Every time I take one out I always feel I would have performed better with most other weapons and it's just really for a bit of fun.

In TDM if people are using them I just slow down and stand back a bit from heavy engagement zones then it's easier to win most one v one.

• rua_taniwha
    85 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Even though it's not real life and obviously is extremely hard to balance in a computer game it is annoying that sniper rifles and heavy machine guns are as quick to bring to aim as close combat weapons like the shotgun.

On the plus side you get more choice of viable weapons
  • kyuubi_clone
    212 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    variety....it's the spice of life my friend
  • Gforce81
    3666 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    A few months ago, before they adjusted the Slug to be a little more effective, I would have argued with you to the DEATH about the 12G.

Used to be my favorite shotgun. Hunter variant.

Now...not quite the same situation. With the changes to the Slug, it becomes the best "at-range" shotgun. Obviously of course. Doesn't act exactly like a shotgun in CQB, but it works well enough there.

With the addition of the Sjorgen specifically, the 12G has pretty much fallen by the wayside. They're so similar; main noticeable difference between them was the ROF. Not a huge difference to begin with, but the Sjorgen can still OHK. It has a tiny pellet spread, so this can be very finicky, but its still possible.

The 12G CAN NOT OHK anyone from full health. Within effective range, if all pellets connect, you're looking at 92 damage.

They both get 5 shells per "mag"; unless you want to sacrifice some range for the extended 12G; which is a very lame choice. You need every single meter of range possible with the 12G. Its the only reason I was able to use the 12G to any sort of usable extent, with the Hunter variant. The +2 shells from having the extended aren't worth it compared to the recoil you have to deal with with loss of range.

I've never liked the M97, to me its always felt like the worst option. Feels like a combination of the worse attributes of the below items; without any of the positives.

If you're shotgunning; you're pretty much running 3 kinds of archetypes:

1.) Super long range; way worse in CQB with the A-10 Slug, but very versatile

2.) Highest range possible w/OHK potential: the A-10 Hunter. The long OHK range and high power of this variant is what makes it the most popular. Its what most people think of and expect when they want to use a shotgun. You suffer some inconsistency and issues relating to the slow ROF, but the range makes it better.

3.) Close range/ Volume of fire; "peppering" shotgun. 12G was the gun for this role. You don't have a great range, and your shots don't do a huge amount of damage themselves; but you get LOTS of them. You can repeatedly blast an area with shell after shell after shell. This is arguably the best PURE CQB setup for a shotty. Good for multiple enemies, high ROF

The 3rd tier is probably the least seen archetype out there; you have to sacrifice sooo much effective range with the faster ROF shotties. You end up relying on a longer range sidearm to do anything at range (Gasser 1870) OR you grab a spammy/powerful sidearm to be a CQB POWERHOUSE.

The Sjorgen is a unique blend of categories 2 and 3; making the M97 and 12TG much, MUCH less relevant; especially the 12G.
  • sfreeman73
    757 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I can't get used to the model 10a I try I die but for me the hellfighter trench (m97 variant) and I'm a beast oddly give me the straight m97 and I go back to being shocking maybe it's psychological or just my play style either way it's fun to rage at how bad I am with the so called God of shotguns
  • Khronikos
    Some good posts. I am by no means an expert on shotguns but it seems at least some people agree with the basic premise. I think more balancing is in order for the guns in general. We will have to see what they do with the next patch.
  • fisknyllet17
    1727 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Got done with the m97 elite codex last night and I have to say it's decent. Used the sweeper almost exclusively. The 10a hunter and slug are better but the m97 is by no means bad.
  • Khronikos
    edited April 2017
    I would call it bad. Because try playing high level players in TDM in legit 1v1s without bs. Good luck.

I'm not saying it needs huge buffs. It can work in close quarter games where you can hide behind doors. But anything after that and yeah....
  • fisknyllet17
    1727 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited April 2017
    I guess we'll agree to disagree. I've faced everything from low level to high level players with it. Has it let me down sometimes? Yes. It's still not bad though.

Edit: imho of course.
  • Khronikos
    The M97 is complete and utter garbage at anything beyond about ten feet. Period. You will get worked day in day out by qualified headshotters all day every day. I'm sorry, but the gun needs some reworking. Hopefully, because they have us using different guns more they will balance and tweak a few things in the next patch. All anybody asks is that the 2 or 3 shots from the M97 actually do something compared to the lot of guns that zip kill your face in 1 second. No one is asking for huge distance buffs, but they need to do something. No one in their right mind mains an M97 for a reason. It's terrible.
  • fisknyllet17
    Well it worked, sort of, for me in whatever mode I played. Hopefully they can tweak it as you wish so it can work for you.