Weekly Debrief

Life as a Tanker (post emergency-repair nerf)

SpinDoctor122
14 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
edited April 2017
Don't worry, this is not another thread complaining about auto re-pair. Instead, I would like to give my perspective as a Tanker who plays the objective.

Before the patch, I primarily played as a PTFO Artillery truck. I always played up close and aggressive, using my machine gun often. The Artillery truck was always appealing to me due to it's speed compared to the heavy tank. Allowing me to escape bad situations more often then not. After the patch, I was no longer able to play too aggressive in the artillery truck and had to stay further away. I do not like playing far away, I like to be up close next to my teammates. There is no bigger thrill to me in this game to be pushing a flag surrounded by several teammates and watching us take things over.

With this in mind, I switched over to the heavy tank and absolutely love it! I can't imagine how it would have been playing in this beast pre-patch with 30hp instant heal. I can still play the aggressive style I want in exchange for maneuvering more carefully due to the slow speed of the tank. People are still seriously complaining about the Heavy Tank? I just don't get it.

Please note that I am not speaking for those of you who play in light tanks, I can understand that being frustrating

My XB1 name is : SpinDoctor420

Comments

• jjsf24
    314 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Don't worry, this is not another thread complaining about auto re-pair. Instead, I would like to give my perspective as a Tanker who plays the objective.

Before the patch, I primarily played as a PTFO Artillery truck. I always played up close and aggressive, using my machine gun often. The Artillery truck was always appealing to me due to it's speed compared to the heavy tank. Allowing me to escape bad situations more often then not. After the patch, I was no longer able to play too aggressive in the artillery truck and had to stay further away. I do not like playing far away, I like to be up close next to my teammates. There is no bigger thrill to me in this game to be pushing a flag surrounded by several teammates and watching us take things over.

With this in mind, I switched over to the heavy tank and absolutely love it! I can't imagine how it would have been playing in this beast pre-patch with 30hp instant heal. I can still play the aggressive style I want in exchange for maneuvering more carefully due to the slow speed of the tank. People are still seriously complaining about the Heavy Tank? I just don't get it.

Please note that I am not speaking for those of you who play in light tanks, I can understand that being frustrating

As someone who likes the heavy tanker, i agree 30 was too much but 20 was just right. Before ill say i was reckless a little, id try to cap points knowing i can get 20 health back if it goes wrong but now, if it goes wrong, youre dead. I still play the objective but i wont actually get on a cap point due to this nerf, but i can see how it forced more hill camping tanks.
  • SpinDoctor122
    14 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited April 2017
    jjsf24 wrote: »

As someone who likes the heavy tanker, i agree 30 was too much but 20 was just right. Before ill say i was reckless a little, id try to cap points knowing i can get 20 health back if it goes wrong but now, if it goes wrong, youre dead. I still play the objective but i wont actually get on a cap point due to this nerf, but i can see how it forced more hill camping tanks.

For me, it enforces the mindset of staying near teammates as much as possible. I believe the folks who are hill camping in tanks were probably hill camping before. Camping is a mindset, if someone wants to camp and not play aggressively, then they will find a way to do it.

I agree with you that it's hard to get right on a cap point, I usually stay slightly in front of the cap (Close enough to be front-and-center with teammates, but not close enough to get points for the cap) and make sure it is clear before I push in completely.
  • jjsf24
    314 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    jjsf24 wrote: »

For me, it enforces the mindset of staying near teammates as much as possible. I believe the folks who are hill camping in tanks were probably hill camping before. Camping is a mindset, if someone does not wan to camp and play aggressive then they will find a way to do it.

I agree with you that it's hard to get right on a cap point, I usually stay slightly in front of the cap (Close enough to be front-and-center with teammates, but not close enough to get points for the cap) and make sure it is clear before I push in completely.

The second paragraph exactly. And it does make u stay near team mates but a lot of guy on here say "waaaahhhhhhh your not exactly on point! Camper!" which tbh, i always do look for hills and good positioning especially now post nerf, (usually somewhere 10-30 meters away from a point and just bombard til we cap or atleast neutralize and looks safe). The ER nerf actually destroyed the playstyle most these PTFOers want which is "take the tank and cap the objective".......lol jokes on them, they just added more people to the bombard an objective crowd and removed the storm objective crowd lol
  • ProAssassin2003
    3448 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited April 2017
    Still going 47-0 in my Light Tank and Beasting with it when I get it of course. Of course I'm being more cautious then before.
  • MBT_Layzan
    1630 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I foresee this change just upsetting more of the very people who wanted the tank nerf from 30 then 20 to 10 hp. Good tankers will just apply more caution/better positioning, and still rack up kills. Camp or roll with a team of mates (repairmen + support). Whatever you want to call it, tankers will just adapt their play style. For me though, the tanking is so bear bones, easy and boring I had to find a better game. Never has a past Bf game turned me away from tanking before, I was known as one of BF most dedicated tankers.
  • Kevang039
    108 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Post patch pre patch, doesn't matter.

Either scenario I've been capping flags with plenty of support to repair me but when I've used my insta repair, I'll spam need repair till I die.

Dice can't fix ignorance. No way possible I can have that many support and none have repair tool.

Now when I get to a flag and see an enemy tank I try to hit it twice before getting there and hope my last 4 shots destroy it.
  • sas-assaultz
    47 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Been using the land ship recently squad support one and it's actually by far better than the heavy tank
  • Forkbeard84
    1617 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    For the heavy tank, I agree with others that its a little harder to push forward now especially without teammates. But overall if you stay back a little and support your team, you can help them take the objective without being on the objectve yourself. And if you stay even further back, you can still rack up cheap kills until the cows come home.
  • lh20122012
    1830 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    DICE eliminated tanks ability to tank. It was stupid. BF1 tanks are to slow to be made of paper.

I've seen twice as much camping since the update. I expect things to get worse in the future as infantry grow bolder.
  • Phat_Helmet
    2164 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Agree 100%
  • V2Face
    2664 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The assault tank in my opinion is alot better due to its variants and ability to drive faster in reverse allowing you to escape unfavorable situations you should try OP, if you own the DLC.
  • Tansho
    176 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited April 2017
    Since I play solo, I'd take the cues from what was going on, I'd bombard the objective while maneuvering in the distance, then move right onto it if I detected the team pushing the objective. I've caught myself hanging off a bit longer, watching how fast the flag is capping, and servicing targets that still appear. I may or may not get onto the objective now. I think I may have been losing my tanks more quickly before the patch, but I was way more reckless about letting infantry get close because the repair would regain maneuverability and enough get-away health to break free; so it felt worth it when it worked out, at least to me. There was nothing funner than spinning out of an objective that I helped level with my roof on fire, a roadkill mucked up in the track, and smoking guns while living to fight again. Think those days are probably over.
  • boutneus
    2474 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    They made a bad nerf. They should not have nerfed the auto repair heal across the board. Because it made the light tank crap and artillery truck more hillhumpery.
    What they should have done is leave it at 20 and just reduce the heavy tanks overall armor hp points somewhat.
  • Removed11322
    738 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

What region are you? If you run a breakthrough I'll gun and repair for you.
  • l_water_l
    1545 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    As someone who played the light flanker tank pre and post patch, I've never had the emergency repair and I laugh at people who depended on it.
  • Tansho
    176 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    The light tank is in an unfortunate place right now. I was splitting my time in it about 50/50 during beta, but haven't touched it much since the nerf. I've seen it still used well, but it's rare and in most hands just not as useful as the other tanks. Think the nerf was a touch heavy handed.