Having trouble accessing the forums? Try logging out of the forums completely - clear cache, cookies, and temp files - then restart the browser and log in. Thanks!

Is it to late?

Comments

• McBaffel
    486 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Checks stats

bf4 total players across 5 platforms - just over 51k
    BF1 total players across 3 platforms - over 145k

And it's not even primetime yet

So either OP is full of poop or something is wrong with the matrix.

Who cares about consoles.. this is the pc section where the numbers have been in steady decline.

Well seems like Dice's and ea's wallet cares more about those platforms. PC in general is dying mate learn to live with it or make the switch.
  • smoogelz
    115 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited April 21
    McBaffel wrote: »
    Checks stats

Who cares about consoles.. this is the pc section where the numbers have been in steady decline.

Well seems like Dice's and ea's wallet cares more about those platforms. PC in general is dying mate learn to live with it or make the switch.

The PC gaming market has been growing in terms of hardware sales, player count and game sales.

Consoles themselves are seen as a major factor in players defecting, as they become increasingly frustrated with the many flaws and drawbacks consoles have. This generation has hardly been impressive.

Ultimately consoles are a much bigger market but PC gaming is not dying.
  • McBaffel
    edited April 21
    smoogelz wrote: »
    Checks stats

The PC gaming market has been growing in terms of hardware sales, player count and game sales.

Consoles themselves are seen as a major factor in players defecting, as they become increasingly frustrated with the many flaws and drawbacks consoles have. This generation has hardly been impressive.

Ok I'll grant you that. But the big e-sport hype is almost over and this will make this number go down again. (This is only a hypotheses)

So please correct me if I'm wrong on that one.

Also from my own experience. Most people play games like MOBA's and offcoarse the still very strong cs:go. Yet this is from within my personal bubble so again correct me if I am wrong.

Also I was a steam user. We didn't by bf because it was origin also a big part why pc-sales are 'small' take it or leave it if you go pc steam is the biggest platform not selling your product on the biggest platform hurts sales.

Hey just to be clear I do not want to offend or insult anyone I think these are just legit reasons for 'lower' numbers on pc.
    This could become an intersting discussion.

Edit: as a recap i de think ea gamed in it's current form only have so long. This will not change unless they are more open on what platforms to sell their game (include steam) or a big change in the market itself. New distributor, old ones going under....
  • McBaffel
    wrote: »

I can agree with your analogie of the situation. Which means my first statement gas to be wrong.

On the multiplatformgames. Well I believe they will allways stay console first. Because wel it's probably easier to optimise a game for 1 (ok maybe2-4) versions of a machine as to do this for a machine that has all sorts things that can vary from hd to gpu.

This said they will not pull it from pc as people dwindle down from moba's and other games as long as they have a pc version.
  • smoogelz
    115 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited April 21

I can agree with your analogie of the situation. Which means my first statement gas to be wrong.

On the multiplatformgames. Well I believe they will allways stay console first. Because wel it's probably easier to optimise a game for 1 (ok maybe2-4) versions of a machine as to do this for a machine that has all sorts things that can vary from hd to gpu.

This said they will not pull it from pc as people dwindle down from moba's and other games as long as they have a pc version.

Sorry, my post got deleted :( These forums are so frustrating that it removes posts after a number of edits.

It's reasonable to assume that esports is driving a significant portion of increased sales though I would imagine it isn't going anywhere soon, especially as it's slowly becoming more 'accepted' as a sport. As more people get interested in these games it's likely many of them will trickle to other games like Battlefield and it will bring more attention to the PC platform.

I would also agree that Origin has probably hurt sales. I wouldn't know how much, but I would imagine that some players were reluctant to buy it on Origin for a range of reasons. Personally, I don't mind since Steam has been dominating the market and I'd rather there were alternatives so all my eggs were not in the same basket.

On a side note, Nvidia reported strongest GPU sales yet for their latest high end cards and many other hardware manufacturers are also reporting growing sales. Microsoft has also been focusing more on PC gaming, realizing that it is a big and growing market. I believe most of the Xbox exclusives will be available on their Windows store.

PC gaming is cheaper than ever since even value builds with components like the new Pentium/1050Ti are perfectly capable of playing Battlefield 1. Whilst it may be anecdotal evidence, when you browse PC hardware forums/sub reddits there is an increasing amount of people who say they are building their first gaming PC.

Worth noting also that all platforms have faced similar player drops. Using Battlefieldtrackers monthly population graph (which isn't necessarily a reliable way to judge population) from November to April PC lost 91% and PS4 77% which is a difference of just 14%. Isn't bad IMO since multi platform games (that put consoles first) often struggle to retain PC users for as long as console.
  • McBaffel

Sorry, my post got deleted :( These forums are so frustrating that it removes posts after a number of edits.

It's reasonable to assume that esports is driving a significant portion of increased sales though I would imagine it isn't going anywhere soon, especially as it's slowly becoming more 'accepted' as a sport. As more people get interested in these games it's likely many of them will trickle to other games like Battlefield and it will bring more attention to the PC platform.

I would also agree that Origin has probably hurt sales. I wouldn't know how much, but I would imagine that some players were reluctant to buy it on Origin for a range of reasons. Personally, I don't mind since Steam has been dominating the market and I'd rather there were alternatives so all my eggs were not in the same basket.

On a side note, Nvidia reported strongest GPU sales yet for their latest high end cards and many other hardware manufacturers are also reporting growing sales. Microsoft has also been focusing more on PC gaming, realizing that it is a big and growing market. I believe most of the Xbox exclusives will be available on their Windows store.

PC gaming is cheaper than ever since even value builds with components like the new Pentium/1050Ti are perfectly capable of playing Battlefield 1. Whilst it may be anecdotal evidence, when you browse PC hardware forums/sub reddits there is an increasing amount of people who say they are building their first gaming PC.

Worth noting also that all platforms have faced similar player drops. Using Battlefieldtrackers monthly population graph (which isn't necessarily a reliable way to judge population) from November to April PC lost 91% and PS4 77% which is a difference of just 14%. Isn't bad IMO since multi platform games (that put consoles first) often struggle to retain PC users for as long as console.

Nice of you to still post it I assumed that happened
  • PDGC_NLsandman
    54 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Checks stats

Ok I'll grant you that. But the big e-sport hype is almost over and this will make this number go down again. (This is only a hypotheses)

Also from my own experience. Most people play games like MOBA's and offcoarse the still very strong cs:go. Yet this is from within my personal bubble so again correct me if I am wrong.

Also I was a steam user. We didn't by bf because it was origin also a big part why pc-sales are 'small' take it or leave it if you go pc steam is the biggest platform not selling your product on the biggest platform hurts sales.

Hey just to be clear I do not want to offend or insult anyone I think these are just legit reasons for 'lower' numbers on pc.

Edit: as a recap i de think ea gamed in it's current form only have so long. This will not change unless they are more open on what platforms to sell their game (include steam) or a big change in the market itself. New distributor, old ones going under....

The problem I think is that pc players average age is above 30 years, EA thinks they can turn pc gaming into console gaming but if you used to pc gaming then its a form of going back to the stone age.
    With bf2 you had custom servers, could play bf2 on lan because of dedicated server files, in bf3 you still could rent servers and set them up the way you liked it, in bf4 dice started with official settings and they already said that custom servers is something they do not like.
    If a game depends on clan gaming and a developer removes all the options for clan gaming then the game has no future on pc, thats why cs:go is doing so well, you can have scrims, competition, clan wars custom games and mod tools.
    Its sad to see EA and Dice say goodbye to the old ways of pc gaming, it made battlefield great 11,5 years ago.
  • McBaffel
    Checks stats

The problem I think is that pc players average age is above 30 years, EA thinks they can turn pc gaming into console gaming but if you used to pc gaming then its a form of going back to the stone age.
    With bf2 you had custom servers, could play bf2 on lan because of dedicated server files, in bf3 you still could rent servers and set them up the way you liked it, in bf4 dice started with official settings and they already said that custom servers is something they do not like.
    If a game depends on clan gaming and a developer removes all the options for clan gaming then the game has no future on pc, thats why cs:go is doing so well, you can have scrims, competition, clan wars custom games and mod tools.
    Its sad to see EA and Dice say goodbye to the old ways of pc gaming, it made battlefield great 11,5 years ago.

Somewhat true I'd have to say that they are going to add platoons shortley. But yes this is just a bandage on a torn off limb.

The real sad truth here is ea/dice are bug players in this market. Once u are this huge the true face of pure capitalism shows and well giving people many options is bad as it prolongues the life of the game. This while for the developer it is smarter to let it fade out after a certrain CHOSEN TIME. this is easier when we as a community have as little of an impact as possible.

For example. Rise of flight very smal playerbase but they still play on a regular basis. Why? Well community made games/matches/events. If this was not possible all of them would've left allready.
  • Loqtrall
    6332 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Once u are this huge the true face of pure capitalism shows and well giving people many options is bad as it prolongues the life of the game. This while for the developer it is smarter to let it fade out after a certrain CHOSEN TIME.

To be fair, no matter what options a game has had in the past, DICE have always released new BF games less than two years apart from each other.

The time period between BF4 and BF1's release dates is the longest span of time between two major DICE BF titles.

They even replaced BF2 (which the guy praises above) in 2006 with 2142, when BF2 was released in 2005.

So it seems no matter how much the community likes the game and the options they have within it, DICE are aiming to get more BF games out on the market.
  • McBaffel
    Loqtrall wrote: »
    Once u are this huge the true face of pure capitalism shows and well giving people many options is bad as it prolongues the life of the game. This while for the developer it is smarter to let it fade out after a certrain CHOSEN TIME.

To be fair, no matter what options a game has had in the past, DICE have always released new BF games less than two years apart from each other.

The time period between BF4 and BF1's release dates is the longest span of time between two major DICE BF titles.

They even replaced BF2 (which the guy praises above) in 2006 with 2142, when BF2 was released in 2005.

So it seems no matter how much the community likes the game and the options they have within it, DICE are aiming to get more BF games out on the market.

Sry I was unclear. That is exavtly what I meant. The fact that they make that new game means they have to populate that game. The more control you have over a game the easier this gets.
  • Loqtrall
    6332 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Loqtrall wrote: »

Sry I was unclear. That is exavtly what I meant. The fact that they make that new game means they have to populate that game. The more control you have over a game the easier this gets.

I was just pointing out that DICE was going on with this release schedule well before they were "this huge", or even before they started developing games for consoles and started getting into the AAA market.

I would think if they had problems keeping their games populated until the next title came out, something would have changed by now to prevent de-population.
  • OP_Crutchmobile
    519 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Releasing BAREBONE serverfeatures in previous games as NEW and INNOVATIVE....MONTHS after release.....it just doesn't fly.
    Actually it's hillarious, but in a bad way.
  • NOVA-GOA
    274 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited April 21
    The thing that kills me is the new release features like platoons. We had thatnlater also in BF4. So why was it so hard to include that with BF1? Custom server options like operations and the other "game modes" that makes me laugh for PC. If we had total server control like we had in the past with an anticheat and use of third party scripts, procon it would be great. But the battlefront style gameplay needs to go.

They should've went the 2142 route from BF4 with the final release of final stand. That was so epic seeing all the tech and prototypes. Plus the great easter eggs hunting around that made it fun to accomplish.
  • Mord-Vi
    100 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited April 22
    Don't you guys get tired of whining about a "sinking ship". GTFO off of it if it's sinking!

Or how about, concede to the fact that EVERY SINGLE GAME IN THE HISTORY OF VIDEO GAMES LOOSES PLAYERS OVER TIME.
    Or how about, THE FACT THAT BF1 is maintaining a higher player base then bf4 was, at this point in its life
    Or how about, the fact that the game will be receiving patches on a monthly basis as DICE is and always has been concerned about player attrition?

The whining going on here, thankfully is not representative of the games community as a whole. The majority of players don't agree with the apathetic sentiments here.
  • NOVA-GOA
    274 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Mord-Vi wrote: »
    Don't you guys get tired of whining about a "sinking ship". GTFO off of it if it's sinking!

Or how about, concede to the fact that EVERY SINGLE GAME IN THE HISTORY OF VIDEO GAMES LOOSES PLAYERS OVER TIME.
    Or how about, THE FACT THAT BF1 is maintaining a higher player base then bf4 was, at this point in its life
    Or how about, the fact that the game will be receiving patches on a monthly basis as DICE is and always has been concerned about player attrition?

The whining going on here, thankfully is not representative of the games community as a whole. The majority of players don't agree with the apathetic sentiments here.

Is that grape or cherry kool-aid you've been drinking?
  • FierceBrosnan007
    371 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    NOVA-GOA wrote: »
    total server control like we had in the past with an anticheat and use of third party scripts, procon it would be great..

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^.

• OP_Crutchmobile
    519 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited April 22
    GTFO off of it if it's sinking

Lifeboats are bugged, they just glitch into the hull and gets stuck.
    And we are still waiting for DICE to patch the liferafts....wich will never happen.
  • Mord-Vi
    100 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited April 22

When someone has a valueless rertort, they always go to the "you... you're brainwashed" line.
    Go play something else dude. It's pathetic how many whine posts you create or add to. You've been doing this for YEARS, vs. every single Battlefield game. It's INSANE, like, clinically.
  • FierceBrosnan007
    371 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited April 22

When someone has a valueless rertort, they always go to the "you... you're brainwashed" line.
    Go play something else dude. It's pathetic how many whine posts you create or add to. You've been doing this for YEARS, vs. every single Battlefield game. It's INSANE, like, clinically.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion as it's an open discussion forum. While some see certain threads as 'whining', others who have also been around for years see it as constructive criticism. Something which imho is highly justified as we've been 'milked and ignored' enough. BF1 being the final straw. You know what.. most of us who do give a damn about BF have been trying to voice our concerns on deaf ears for months so maybe we will just go and play other games. Will you feel better when everyone is gone?! (Many have left already) I'd rather see people 'constructively criticise' a game that lacks fundamental elements to become a success and grow. BF1 can be so much better with these additions as we had in BF4. If we all just sit back and be complacent with the half finished, dumbed down versions of BF they are dishing out now.. things will never get better in the ways 'the community as a whole' or clans would desire. People are angry, frustrated, feel cheated, let down etc.. if no-one complains, the devs get away with it. I can see future games being a flop if they don't amend BF1.
  • smoogelz
    edited April 22

Everyone is entitled to their opinion as it's an open discussion forum. While some see certain threads as 'whining', others who have also been around for years see it as constructive criticism. Something which imho is highly justified as we've been 'milked and ignored' enough. BF1 being the final straw. You know what.. most of us who do give a damn about BF have been trying to voice our concerns on deaf ears for months so maybe we will just go and play other games. Will you feel better when everyone is gone?! (Many have left already) I'd rather see people 'constructively criticise' a game that lacks fundamental elements to become a success and grow. BF1 can be so much better with these additions as we had in BF4. If we all just sit back and be complacent with the half finished, dumbed down versions of BF they are dishing out now.. things will never get better in the ways 'the community as a whole' or clans would desire. People are angry, frustrated, feel cheated, let down etc.. if no-one complains, the devs get away with it. I can see future games being a flop if they don't amend BF1.

It would be more effective to complain elsewhere.

Complaining here has less effect because;

1) The same things get repeated by the same users.

2) This community is tiny compared to other forums.

3) Dice has less care on what is being said on the official forums where only people who bought the game can post. They would care more about other much more popular websites

4) These forums are like a bubble. There is no where near as much complaining elsewhere.

If you want a bigger voice, it would be worth going to much bigger communities with a fair, well formatted post which people can easily contribute both positive and negative opinions to.

The vast majority of posts here are not even constructive. It's just the same thing repeated over and over again. For example, someone creates a thread like "I stopped playing because of cheaters" but offers no solutions or even formats the post in preparation for a constructive topic. The only suggestion I ever see is "put in a client sided anticheat" but doing that alone wont magically solve all the problems and the potential issues of implementing one are disregarded instead of discussed.

Granted there is the occasional decent constructive post, but they are almost always drawn off track by the usual users and the quality of the thread rapidly decreases.