Having trouble accessing the forums? Try logging out of the forums completely - clear cache, cookies, and temp files - then restart the browser and log in. Thanks!

Help with flying...

SDHSH
138 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
Just started giving planes a serious try yesterday and wasn't successful at all. Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and got no kills over 20 or so mins.
Just want to know what are the easiest packages to use for each plane, which plane is easiest to use (for whatever reason), and general flying principles. For example, I am wondering if it's most effective to make long, wide turns to assure an easier, straight-over shot once reentering the infantry boundaries, or turn quickly to hover closer to targeteted spot and spam whatever you got.

Some details are I mainly used the solo plane with the dual-guns/ single shot/ speed boost. What are basic strategies/ principles for remaining in the air while getting some kills every now and then. Play defensively?

I'm talking about being the driver of the plane. Thanks for any input.

Comments

• l_water_l
    656 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Right now the best plane is the trench fighter but it is getting a nerf really soon. Ive been playing around with the ground attack plane. It's guns shred other planes you just have to watch out for the nimble fighters.
  • lh20122012
    1830 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited April 21
    Brace yourself op, the salty plane haters are coming.

While you wait, let me say you're in the wrong plane. Each variant has a purpose. The one you're in is the dogfighter and it's purpose is solely to destroy other planes. And it sucks at it.

The best advice I can give you is to find some good YouTube tutorials that walk you through optimizing your settings/controls and the basics of flying. You can then practice basic maneuvers on an empty server until you're comfortable flying.

After that, just practice.
  • disposalist
    4472 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited April 21
    In my experience (I'm rank 50 pilot, but by no means a flightsim nerd) the trench fighter is 'easiest' to fly and get kills with. It has a good chance against other fighters and can kill attack planes and bombers if you are careful to avoid their tail guns (stay at a distance - disengage if you take too much damage, repair and try again). When not fighting other planes (never ignore other planes) you can bomb infantry for multiple kills.

Attack planes are versatile - they *can* kill fighter planes, but you have to catch them unawares and kill them quick. Get behind them and wait for them to go on an attack run against someone else so they are in a straight line and distracted. When you are attacked you need to either have a good gunner or learn how to perform the seat switch *and* be a good gunner yourself. Not easy. The bombs are effective, but no more so than the trench fighter really.

Bombers are pretty good, but prey to all other planes unless you have a good gunner. They survive if you stay high and repair often. Good fun to kill tanks and whatnot.

No matter what plane you fly, if you get an enemy team that decides it wants to keep the AA manned or has a good pilot, you may want to simply do something else - you can avoid AA and you might win dogfights but unless you find it great fun you will no longer be getting much score/kills while avoiding AA and dogfights.

Oh and if you're on PC: bind a key (I use SPACE (jump)) to PITCH UP so you can loop without having to drag your mouse all over the desk. Once you are used to it, it is awesome.

Hated flying and fliers in BF4. Love it in BF1. Good luck and have fun!
  • SDHSH
    138 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    In regard to the seat switch, is that actually effective, or is it the only way to deal with an otherwise hopeless situation if you have no gunner? Meaning, can you actually out gun someone behind you who's been shooting at you longer? Also, how often do you guys, as experienced fliers, have 0-for plane rounds? Is there times where you are just going to lose, or **** happens? Or is your worst-level playing high enough to get something every time you go out?
  • l_water_l
    656 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    SDHSH wrote: »
    In regard to the seat switch, is that actually effective, or is it the only way to deal with an otherwise hopeless situation if you have no gunner? Meaning, can you actually out gun someone behind you who's been shooting at you longer?

Yes it is effective, more effective than it should be.
  • xPilioka
    133 postsMember, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    There's obviously different skill levels for everyone. Switching to the rear will work only sometimes and versus less skilled pilots.

If you want easy kills just go trench or ground attack plane. I personally think ground attack plane is better, but if you start getting fighter planes hunting you then switch it up to trench fighter.

And like someone already mentioned just go watch some YouTube videos for reference.

Oh and basically never use your brake when dogfighting.
  • MarxistDictator
    2188 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    l_water_l wrote: »
    SDHSH wrote: »
    In regard to the seat switch, is that actually effective, or is it the only way to deal with an otherwise hopeless situation if you have no gunner? Meaning, can you actually out gun someone behind you who's been shooting at you longer?

Yes it is effective, more effective than it should be.

It was more effective than it should be before it was nerfed, now if you die to it in a fighter you seriously need to get better.

The other planes do not use this against each other (I laugh whenever I see another attack plane try this on me). So it's a pretty fair tactic - telegraphed a mile away and easily avoided, but can surprise an idiot in a pinch which is basically all we need as attack plane pilots (options).
  • Chimp_Pilot
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited April 22
    If you can't hit the broad side of a barn. Why not just fly something that can take out the whole barn? Its so easy, a chimp can do it.
    https://streamable.com/u2fnw
  • AmericanBadAzz23
    418 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    My advice would be if you're flying an attack plane or fighter, learn to look back often. It will keep you alive more than anything because if you see an enemy on your 6 you can start maneuvering before he hits you with anything. Your welcome