The Defend the Frontlines Mission rewards will be deployed on August 21st. Thanks for your patience.
Having trouble accessing the forums? Try logging out of the forums completely - clear cache, cookies, and temp files - then restart the browser and log in. Thanks!

Smoke grenades

marzmadness
118 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
Am I the only one that uses these? Super underrated tactic to move up on a position, especially in devils anvil. Would like to see more people using them as soft cover really works

Comments

• olavafar
    547 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I agree these are underused in BF1. I think one should get two of them though as they are so underused and typically one is not enough to get you over an open area.
  • Syzzix
    3406 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I use them rarely.
    Problem is that it requires communication and a bad enemy team.
    Most of the time it gets your team killed because of their idiocy and smart players just chuck real grenades into the smoke.
  • MATT-CHEW82
    347 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I used them all the time until they got needed down to just one in your loadout
  • BaconRebellion
    1505 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I use them rarely.
    Most of the time it gets your team killed because of their idiocy and smart players just chuck real grenades into the smoke.

I used them all the time on Argonne conquest trying to get C right at the start. Tactic worked great as a support and two smokes. Chuck one at the far end of the bridge, the other in the middle. Worked well to get the point early on.

Now that they dropped it down to one smoke it's become slightly pointless. I feel like you really need two for an effective distraction especially when advancing on devil's anvil
  • marzmadness
    118 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    If 5 people on a team of 32 used smokes it would make a HUGE difference moving up that dirt sector on devils anvil try it out guys
  • Syzzix
    3406 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I use them rarely.

I used them all the time on Argonne conquest trying to get C right at the start. Tactic worked great as a support and two smokes. Chuck one at the far end of the bridge, the other in the middle. Worked well to get the point early on.

Now that they dropped it down to one smoke it's become slightly pointless. I feel like you really need two for an effective distraction especially when advancing on devil's anvil

I saw that tactic a lot on enemy teams... We capped C every time they did that because we'd chuck grenades into the smoke then they would run into it blindly and die.
  • BaconRebellion
    1505 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I use them rarely.

I saw that tactic a lot on enemy teams... We capped C every time they did that because we'd chuck grenades into the smoke then they would run into it blindly and die.

My tactic was to throw a smoke at the enemies end of the bridge and in the middle once it started to dissipate. Amy grenades would usually be thrown into the area with the smoke and rarely at my team. We'd usually end up capping it.
  • slywether
    56 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited April 21
    The smoke duration lasts as long as it's CD. So the drop to one really isn't as bad as most think. Still very situationally useful. Argonne, Amiens, etc.

Basically just giving away your free kill button for some teamplay/tactical capability.
  • lh20122012
    1830 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I used smoke frequently in ops and Rush before they cut them back to one.

Now I don't see the point. One just get you on a point and then leaves your *** hanging in the wind.

I just run incendiary now.
  • mrtwotimes
    285 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Am I the only one that uses these? Super underrated tactic to move up on a position, especially in devils anvil. Would like to see more people using them as soft cover really works

Agree, provides great cover from snipers when capping a flag, cover when travelling over cover-less terrain and it helps push through certain choke points by obviously obscuring the view.

That's really all I ever use although I don't know how to gauge that other that my stats say TIME 1h 13m under smoke grenade.
  • Syzzix
    I use them rarely.

My tactic was to throw a smoke at the enemies end of the bridge and in the middle once it started to dissipate. Amy grenades would usually be thrown into the area with the smoke and rarely at my team. We'd usually end up capping it.

I tried that once... I had a dozen people harassing me for using rifle grenades on my medic.,..
  • von_Campenstein
    2160 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    How do you best get a kill with them?
  • Syzzix

You cant in bf1... I wish you could.
  • mrtwotimes
    285 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

Best way, not sure. One way you can kill with them is pop a smoke canister on a flag in contention and find a good spot. You can usually get a number of stragglers entering the objective area as they wade through the smoke.

I'm not sure you can physically kill with the grenade, I'm pretty sure it doesn't burn like a flare and doesn't seem to hurt when a teammate runs in front of me and it bounces off their noggin'
  • von_Campenstein
    2160 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

You got to be **** me, you can kill people with the gasmask yet you cannot bonk people in the head with smoke!?!
  • Syzzix

You got to be **** me, you can kill people with the gasmask yet you cannot bonk people in the head with smoke!?!

Dont ask...
  • Dratt_Dastardly
    44 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Just because they dropped it to one to carry, I believe it will still respawn after 18 seconds. Which might be the time the last smoke cloud starts to dissipate.

I also believe smoke hides the green color of gas grenades. I know with the mortar truck, I will shoot smoke before gas. It seems that more people start to walk in it.
  • MATT-CHEW82
    347 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Nothing like rendering a squad of hilltop camping snipers completely useless by throwing smoke right on top of them B)
  • slywether
    56 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    The smoke duration lasts as long as it's CD. So the drop to one really isn't as bad as most think. Still very situationally useful. Argonne, Amiens, etc.

Basically just giving away your free kill button for some teamplay/tactical capability.
  • xPilioka
    133 postsMember, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I use them in operations and hardcore all the time. Super underrated. They should add bonus points for kills in the smoke, not that I care about points tho.