7700K owners: To overclock or not to overclock, that's the question.

mahanddeem
95 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
Hello guys,
My system: Asus IX Hero, [email protected], DDR4 16GB 3200MHz XMP, Noctus D15S, Gigabyte G TX1080 Xtreme gaming, Corsair AX750 PSU, BenQ 144Hz 1920x1080

Playing predominantly BF1 on my PC on my 1080p 144Hz monitor, DX12, ultra preset. No V-sync capped fps to 144. Average of 130fps (rare dips down to around 102). Msi Afterburner always shows CPU usage 63% and GPU 93% to 99%.
Does it worth overclocking my 7700K higher than 4.5GHz on all cores?
Will I get better fps to solid 144fps?

Currently liking my CPU max temp when playing about 52-57c and low voltage of 1.136v at 4.5GHz turbo frequency.
Thanks

Comments

• DeLtAuk2004
    1107 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited May 2017
    Why not try it at 4.9 for a period monitor temps and usages against fps gains and decide on your next move if you like where you are at temp wise .If the potential is there use it you payed for it ....
  • supamariomite
    36 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited May 2017
    Yes you can overclock the 7700K but for battlefield its not really worth overclocking past the stock speeds for 2-4 fps more. If battlefield was more CPU demanding say like Arma 2 and Arma 3 then yes it would be worth overclocking your 7700K. My suggestion is to lower the graphics settings to high, turn off AA and play in DX11 mode you will get the 144+ fps in 1080p.
  • Lahoo_Eckbert
    1263 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Mine is OC'd to 4.8 and I'm happy. I would overclock further If I had a decent cooler.
    Get that beast to 5.0Ghz asap.
  • mahanddeem
    95 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Mine is OC'd to 4.8 and I'm happy. I would overclock further If I had a decent cooler.

Did you compare you fps before,after?
    What cpu core max temp you get when playing?
    Thanks
  • Lahoo_Eckbert
    1263 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    mahanddeem wrote: »

Did you compare you fps before,after?
    What cpu core max temp you get when playing?
    Thanks

I didn't. I only compared it to others with similar rigs and benchmark tests on stock speeds.

I get around 65-73. It usually sits around 68-70. But then I'm using a Thermaltake Frio silent. It isn't a good cooler for OC.
  • mahanddeem
    edited May 2017
    I get around 65-73. It usually sits around 68-70. But then I'm using a Thermaltake Frio silent. It isn't a good cooler for OC.

You temp is comparable to mine on quality air cooler, Noctua D15S
    I got 64c-68c on 4.8GHz (when I set to 4.8GHz)
    Now running 4.5GHz.

• McFoaners
    351 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Cpu oc raises your minimum fps more than maximums. I think with that gpu of yours you don't have low fps with ultra settings at 1080p. Or do you?
  • LoneGunman74
    21 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I have mine overclocked to 4.8 GHz with a Corsair 100i V2 paired with a GTX 1070 and the FPS are slightly higher than at stock clocks.
  • VESPA5
    784 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    My 7700K is overclocked at a decent 4.9GHz but that's only because I have a watercooler on it. If I had an aircool setup, then maybe I'd downclock it back to stock clocks.
  • mahanddeem
    edited May 2017
    FckMoaners wrote: »
    Cpu oc raises your minimum fps more than maximums. I think with that gpu of yours you don't have low fps with ultra settings at 1080p. Or do you?

Minimum is 100fps on stock CPU.
    The issue is that benchmarking this game is so difficult. Even if you log fps there are so many random variables and parameters that can through your test accuracy and validity out the window.
  • LOLGotYerTags
    12827 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    I have always had the mindset that if you really feel you need to overclock, Then an upgrade may be more worthwhile rather than risking damaging your current hardware.

The decision is, Ultimately, Yours to make.
  • DeLtAuk2004
    1107 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I have always had the mindset that if you really feel you need to overclock, Then an upgrade may be more worthwhile rather than risking damaging your current hardware.

While this view is worthy a K series cpu is designed with overclocking in mind there should be sufficient headroom to play with clockspeed without concern of damage without taking liberties that is :) .
  • LOLGotYerTags
    12827 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator

While this view is worthy a K series cpu is designed with overclocking in mind there should be sufficient headroom to play with clockspeed without concern of damage without taking liberties that is :) .

Yeah, My 4790 is a K model, I've never felt the need to OC but I like the option to do so if needs must! :)
  • mahanddeem

Yeah, My 4790 is a K model, I've never felt the need to OC but I like the option to do so if needs must! :)

That's the whole idea of the thread. It needs or it doesn't
  • DeLtAuk2004
    edited May 2017

I think just go for it from day one.by the time the chip is dead from the oc it will naturally be time to upgrade anyway no point preserving a component that only has 2-3 years in your rig .I see it as wasted potential why have 3.7 when you can have 4.7 just for example.again this is temp depending and things .
  • LOLGotYerTags
    mahanddeem wrote: »

That's the whole idea of the thread. It needs or it doesn't

Well, Strictly speaking, My 4790 is way older than yours so if there ever was a chip that would "need" to be OC'd even a little bit to keep up, I would say mine would be in more need of it than yours would.

Again, The choice is entirely yours but I would say no to OC'ing your chip, Just turning off / down a few settings such as lighting effects / post processing should net you a few extra FPS to get you closer to your 144FPS target.

Also, Ensure your nvidia control panel settings are set to max performance, And single display performance mode like in my image below ( Just in case you haven't got it set )
    KVVYK5u.jpg
  • DeLtAuk2004
    It's like owning a Ferrari but only driving it at 50 mph ever incase it blows up. then selling it or upgrading in 3 years having never known what it was capable of .
  • McFoaners
    351 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member

I agree with you, but only slightly. If you overclock without knowing what you are doing, you might do harm to your components. For example if you just raise multiplier and leave the voltage at auto. Actually you will get more performance out of your chip with less voltage than with auto if you know what you doing.
  • PDGC_sandmanNL
    204 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Your cpu only uses 63%, this means you have enough room left on the cpu so its wasting power when you go
    higher on the clocks.
    The gpu runs at max so that is the one you need to overclock and try 120hz.
  • mahanddeem
    Your cpu only uses 63%, this means you have enough room left on the cpu so its wasting power when you go
    higher on the clocks.
    The gpu runs at max so that is the one you need to overclock and try 120hz.

This theory was debunked many times before, faster cores are different than not-fully-used cores.