Weekly Debrief

new headphones

2»

Comments

• DBTJESUSFREAK666
    12 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Standard Answer: Astro A50 (decent)
    Pro Answer/my setup: Phillips Fidelio X2 or Phillips SHP 9500 plus Astro mix amp and a v-moda boom pro mic depending on your budget.

Astro is decent all a rounder. (other 2 are way better in most things so keep that in mind of I critique them harshly)
    9500 is insanely detailed but okay sound stage. Slightly cheating.
    X2 has the best soundstage of almost any headphone and good bass and decent clarity. It's audiophile cheating. Full on cheating lol. I highly recommend you go the pro wires route as it could turn you into an audiophile and even if it doesn't you're sure to love what you have and never buy beats/bose/turtle Beach/triton/etc Ever again (and that's a good thing)
  • Khronikos
    2145 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Well if you have the proper equipment wireless headphones will not hold a candle to proper wired phones. It's just the nature of how speakers work and the power they need. I use Sennheiser HD600s with a Denon amp and I could never switch out to wireless. But those can be convenient if that is what you want.
  • luke3026
    137 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I use Turtle Beach Elite 800's. Very nice, put pricey (I didn't pay retail for mine). Before that Sony Golds, which are about the best value going. Good sound, but cheap construction.
  • LeesSummit09
    364 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    A youtuber, reviewing headsets for gaming, said you should go with stereo and not virtual surround. He said the consoles are not setup for surround and sound will be mushy, whereas stereo will be clear and better to hear directional sounds. Any thoughts?
  • Kay-7k
    183 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Not too long ago I was looking to upgrade my Playstation wireless 7.1 VSS headphones (Gold) to get the Gen3 Astro A50's (PS4) & I was banging on about wanting another headset with VSS & a decent mic. After lots of research I went for something completely different. lol

- Sony MDR-1A (headphones)
    - Blue Yetti (Microphone)

The Sony MDR-1A headphones are so light, comfy & squishy on my noggin compared to my previous headset. Sound quality is plenty good enough for me too as they are Hi-Res audio.

The Blue Yetti is a USB condenser mic & even though it probably pics up too much for my liking, it is clean & clear when set up just right.

In the UK those two items come to around the same price as the Gen3 Astro A50 headset.
  • Khronikos
    2145 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 2017
    A youtuber, reviewing headsets for gaming, said you should go with stereo and not virtual surround. He said the consoles are not setup for surround and sound will be mushy, whereas stereo will be clear and better to hear directional sounds. Any thoughts?

That youtuber has no idea what he is talking about, unless he is talking about the garbage quality of surround headsets, which is definitely true for the most part. When you have a wireless surround headset you have almost no power getting to your speakers. Of course they are going to sound like crap compared to high-end gear.

Firstly, Sony DOES NOT EVEN SEND stereo audio to your gear. They ALWAYS send 5.1 or 7.1 audio and FORCE your gear to downmix it. This kind of sucks to be honest for reasons stated below. At any rate yes the consoles and the games made for them are specifically set up for surround sound. Period.

For whatever reason, even on a semi-elite setup with sound I found Naughty Dog's stereo track to be really sub par for their MP. I ended up using one of their really weird combos in the audio options. They honestly have almost too many audio options in that game.

That doesn't mean that a surround headset is the right way to go. Surround headsets come with super cheap speakers for the most part. But as far as options I was using my stereo headphones wired with 5.1 setting in their game a lot of the time. You can pick a variety of options for your headset and for how you want the game to sound like midnight setting, surround 7.1, 5.1, et cetera.

The sound was just more clear and positional with their 5.1 setting, almost like someone didn't really take their time with the stereo mix. I have been using the stereo option in BF1 and it sounds pretty good atm with the large speaker setting for my headphones.

There were only a few glitches running that surround mix audio to stereo headphones in Uncharted, otherwise you could definitely tell their surround mix was better. Uncharted is the only game I know of that gives you like a hundred different options for audio.

Sony sending ONLY surround audio to your gear has a bad side effect if you use stereo gear. It creates a higher noisefloor as well which is audible. It forces your receiver to downmix audio, and this creates a very distinct background noisefloor, which to me makes watching movies impossible. I always watch film on my PC. I have no idea why Sony does not have better options for audio similar to the PS3.

Luckily, some games are loud up front like BF1 so they don't require much tinkering or volume increase where you can hear the noisefloor. Anyone with a receiver can notice this though if you have to pump up a game's audio with stereo headphones.

For whatever reason Sony will not send your gear a stereo signal, so everything has to be downmixed. This means Sony's console is actually ALL ABOUT SURROUND.

In that way you might as well get surround gear if it is quality. But you know with surround headsets most of the time you aren't getting quality gear, and definitely not even close to the quality of Sennheiser HD600s. It's all up to you.

I'll stick with quality wired stereo headphones thank you very much. The speakers and amping of the signal are just too much to pass up. If all the audio you ever head was crappy surround speakers with hardly a proper amp I would say a pair of good sennheisers with a nice receiver or amp would blow you away.
    Post edited by Khronikos on
  • ARingdal
    95 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Just got my Turtle Beach RX24 today, and I could'nt be more happier about it. Works absolutely perfect!
  • Clarence_6000
    886 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Stealth 500P's here. Pretty cheap but does the job.
  • Not_Paul_Blart
    808 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    luke3026 wrote: »
    I use Turtle Beach Elite 800's. Very nice, put pricey (I didn't pay retail for mine). Before that Sony Golds, which are about the best value going. Good sound, but cheap construction.

How's the connection on your 800"s? Mine cut out a lot and it drives me insane. It's not like I'm far away either, the base sits 2 feet away from me. If it wasn't for the fact that I use the bluetooth to connect my phone so I can listen to my SoundCloud playlist while I play I think I probably would've returned these.
  • JakeNoach
    111 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 4
    Deleted by user.
    Post edited by JakeNoach on
  • SMK_GAMING_2
    775 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Astro A40 user here, I would never use a wireless headset, whilst they are convenient I would not sacrifice that over better sound quality which you will certainly get with a wired headset. Only downside with most Astro headsets is its mic, it can make your voice sound off (electronic), that is why I tend to use a blue snowball when recording or streaming.
  • MrWenting040
    131 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Astro A40 user here, I would never use a wireless headset, whilst they are convenient I would not sacrifice that over better sound quality which you will certainly get with a wired headset. Only downside with most Astro headsets is its mic, it can make your voice sound off (electronic), that is why I tend to use a blue snowball when recording or streaming.

Had the A40 and now have the A50 the both have excellent sound. Chosen the A50 because I wanted to be completely wireless. Mic never been Astro's strong selling point.
  • luke3026
    137 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    luke3026 wrote: »

How's the connection on your 800"s? Mine cut out a lot and it drives me insane. It's not like I'm far away either, the base sits 2 feet away from me. If it wasn't for the fact that I use the bluetooth to connect my phone so I can listen to my SoundCloud playlist while I play I think I probably would've returned these.

I've never had any issues with the connection. I usually sit about 5 ft from the base, but I can walk around the room, even partway upstairs (20ft away or so) before it starts to get choppy.
  • SMK_GAMING_2
    775 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member

Had the A40 and now have the A50 the both have excellent sound. Chosen the A50 because I wanted to be completely wireless. Mic never been Astro's strong selling point.

I'm not saying there is a big massive difference or anything, their isn't, however, with wireless headphones you may experience interference depending how far you are from the device and your surroundings. I've never had A50's but with other wireless ones (£75-£150 price range) I've had this low static like noise in my ears previously so I went back to wired. All the wires are a pain at times but I'd rather that than occasional static.
  • JBModz1
    380 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    astro mixamp + samson sr850s here, the audio is amazing but the game still has the random missing audio moments. the echo on the m95 is amazing at max volume, love it.