What are your impressions of the revamped Dogfighter?

USAFguy22
288 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
First off, I'm really happy that Dice made an effort to improve the Dogfighter variant of the fighter. However it seems to be just as irrelevant as before, here are a few thoughts:

1. AP ammo feels a bit underwhelming, like it should break parts easier than it actually does. I admit I'm not a great Dogfighter, so this could just be a lack of skill on my part.
2. The speed boost wasn't necessary, emergency repair was the only thing it really had going for it pre-patch. Speed boost can be negated by just using the "scope" for long range shots until you close the gap.
3. Bomber killer now has emer repair, making it more useful in that role as well as dogfighting, not to mention the main gun does more damage than the other fighter variants.

What do you guys think? Are any of you experienced fighter pilots going to choose the DF over the BK in an air to air battle? If so why? I play mostly bomber so I'm not as savvy with fighters as much as some.

Comments

• x187Methodz-
    265 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Still haven't changed from tf and still don't lose dogfights in pubs
  • disposalist
    9008 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Then you are a good pilot. For the majority out there *all* the fighters are pretty cruddy now - may as well fly an attack plane. With a gunner they have more fire power and can fire on a fighter at all times chipping health away. With the steering being almost as good they have plenty of time for the gunner to do that chipping away as well.

Even leaping into the rear gun as a pilot, you can do a lot of damage, the fighter will break off and you can actually turn well enough to chase *him*.

I'm no pro pilot - they can probably make good use of the fighters - I imagine the bomber killer is best now, but I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't fly attack planes now.

Even if you do with as the dogfighter, you're then twiddling your thumbs.
  • Private_UMPalot
    4234 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Attack plane is the new air meta.
  • bleachee
    991 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I gave DF a run post update. I'm still on fence though. Speed boost did give me the ability to quickly end several turning battles with TFs and made some other slick maneuvers possible. But insta-repair is so valuable in the DF. I'm going to withhold judgment for now.
  • SaintBrandon88
    1320 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Tried it. Wasn't good enough to make me want to fly it on a regular basis. Extremely boring in between enemy plane spawns.
  • l_water_l
    1545 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    GOOD GOD I love the tank hunter attack plane now. It's like the sniper rifle of the skies!
  • Dinamythe2512
    320 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Do you think we need to aim for the wings with the incendiary bullets ? I just once get a part with them but that's all, I did never notice much more effect than regular bullets
  • SaintBrandon88
    1320 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Do you think we need to aim for the wings with the incendiary bullets ? I just once get a part with them but that's all, I did never notice much more effect than regular bullets

Agreed. I don't see anything special about them.
  • bleachee
    991 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    15 rounds and dry doesn't really give you much of an opportunity to test them out. When I wait to get into a good position to use those 15 rounds, I can't help but think I could have already destroyed this plane with my standard LMGs with ease.
  • thamac15
    312 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I am enjoying the new dogfighter changes. Never used it much at all before. I find the incendiary rounds to be great!
  • gtac10
    613 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Dogfighter is trash. I'm sticking with trench fighter. Dice hardly nerfed it, don't believe me? Check my stats
  • Temp1st
    2493 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    DF is trash, BK is the king of air sup still.
    15 rounds of inced ammo is not enough, It needs to be like 45.
    That or spraying them breaks wings faster. You can currently hit a plane with 7/15 rounds and not get a tail disable, That's the whole point of the DF.

Atk planes are the kings of the sky now.
  • thamac15
    312 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 2017
    More than 15 rounds would be invincible. The 15 rounds replenish very quickly. Perhaps I'm accurate resulting in quick aircraft destruction. I usually hit the enemy with a solid burst then switch to incindiary then if I need too I'll hit them again with the main guns. All equates to destroyed aircraft within seconds.

Trench package is still easy and efficient as well.
  • Temp1st
    thamac15 wrote: »
    More than 15 rounds would be invincible. The 15 rounds replenish very quickly. Perhaps I'm accurate resulting in quick aircraft destruction. I usually hit the enemy with a solid burst then switch to incindiary then if I need too I'll hit them again with the main guns. All equates to destroyed aircraft within seconds.

Trench package is still easy and efficient as well.

Funny enough in the time you use normal rounds then incend and normal rounds again, BK would of one shot the enemy plane with rockets.
  • KorpusDraige
    2398 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Still use Trench Fighter... I don't see any reason not to.
  • thamac15
    .[/quote]

Funny enough in the time you use normal rounds then incend and normal rounds again, BK would of one shot the enemy plane with rockets.[/quote]

Not against a good pilot with keen situational awareness. Can't remember the last time I was shot down with rockets.
  • Temp1st
    thamac15 wrote: »

Funny enough in the time you use normal rounds then incend and normal rounds again, BK would of one shot the enemy plane with rockets.[/quote]

Not against a good pilot with keen situational awareness. Can't remember the last time I was shot down with rockets. [/quote]

I was talking about good pilots, You are not going to circle a good pilot down with a DF. Self repair and the rockets are useful in more situations so anyone who is a top tier pilot is going to run BK for pure air sup. DF will struggle vs bombers, BK will not. BK has a more useful tool, And a much more damaging secondary.

Its not even a contest. If the INC rounds were like 30 or 45 rounds it might be more objectionable but as it stands now 15 rounds is barely anything and the rockets will 1 shot other planes.

BK is better vs attack planes as well as their turning speed is just slow enough to get behind them and wreck them because of there larger target size.
  • MammiBoo
    436 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Dogfighter remained a big pile of s. Incendiaries are so lame that you can't really depend on those even when chasing a bomber. Best fighter variant hands down is BK, with TF coming very close. I see no reason why to choose dogfighter over those 2 variants. BK is actaully better with instant repair than with speed boost, so I dont understand the reason behind switching special features from one plane to another.

AP tho is a very rewarding plane to fly post patch.
  • sirtokesalot48
    175 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

I like this guy , same here but man I miss the old trench fighter.

Let me close this thread real quick , dogfighter is irrelevant because a good pilot can down anything with any fighter because of the maneuverability and turning radius. It's all about points that other stuff can bring you and how you can help your team , flares are a great help. All these bomber killer nerds are fotm and not as useful , dogfighters are noobs .. Trench fighter is still supreme and I beg the dice gods to return it to it's its former glory so I can feel more of an impact against 32 man teams if I'm good enough.
  • olavafar
    2261 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I was disappointed. Tried it, but saw no reason to favor it before the bomber killer or trench fighter. No good air to ground option makes it pointless most of the time.

For fighter planes, it is still TF > BK > DF when it comes to effectiveness (though I still enjoy BK more but it is a bit of an ego trip, not doing much for the team.) For DF to be viable, it would need to be SUBSTANTIALLY better in the air than any other aircraft as it has close to zero use on ground troops. It would need to have both better turn radius speed as well as criminally OP main guns against planes (better than tail gun of attack and bomber planes) but it has none of that.