A question about electrical circuits and electric shock

Comments

• battlebhoy
    346 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    seems like u made the lines automatic things not drawn it by hand?
  • Loqtrall
    12468 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    battlebhoy wrote: »
    seems like u made the lines automatic things not drawn it by hand?

Nah. I do draw and have been artistically inclined my entire life - but I'm too cheap to buy a graphics tablet. All my MS Paint doodles are done using just a mouse and whatever tools are available on whatever iteration of MS Paint I'm using.
  • DrVanNostrand1
    869 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    xRedKitty wrote: »
    If one stands on a plastic chair and then somehow runs even 500,000 volt through themselves they wont get electrocuted as they are not grounded
    538.jpg
    yes ,he actually believes that
  • DrVanNostrand1
    he thinks he will survive this just by standing on a plastic chair
  • battlebhoy
    346 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    if you were insulated well enough the current wouldnt flow thourgh u but it may be hot enough to burn you badly.

THe power lines birds sit on can be 300-500, 000 volts and doesnt do them no damage....

btw interesting fact lightning has 15 milllion volts and is 3x hotter than the sun..
  • wsupchris1222444
    969 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    If one stands on a plastic chair and then somehow runs even 500,000 volt through themselves they wont get electrocuted as they are not grounded
    538.jpg

do you even understand electricity?
  • xRedKitty
    6 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    538.jpg

do you even understand electricity?
    Do you understand any foreseeable situation where you would risking raising up your body to a potential of 500,000 volts to the point where even the slightest contact with a non-insulating material would turn you extra crispy?

I'm glad the post quality didn't change during my absence.
  • battlebhoy
    yes thats possible BUT still the fact remains that in a controlled experiment it would seem that even 1million volt of electricty would not transfer to the human if he touches it whilst not grounded.

Maybe at 1mil volts there will be crazy amounts of heat though so would burn your hands..
  • Gn3sda
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Not sure if trolling but I'll bite.

You are confusing voltage and current. Voltage is equitable to pressure and current to flow of water in a pipe.

In order for water to flow there needs to be a pressure differential. Same for electrical current. There needs to be a voltage difference.

Voltage on its own does not harm you (at least directly. High electromagnetic fields can arguably cause cancer.) Current is harmful and as low as milliamps flowing across your chest can cause you heart to stop beating.

Birds do not get electrocuted standing on a line since they are raising their entire body to the same voltage potential. Voltage is always measured between two points.

Bonus video: guys working on a live 500kV transmission line using faraday cage suit.
  • battlebhoy
    whats he doing when he puts metal rod on the wires
  • Gn3sda
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Charging rod. Think of it as static electricity.

They are raising themselves to the same potential.
  • battlebhoy
    So the rod then makes the suit they are wearing become 500,000 volts also?

IM so confused now in a way....I just assume 500,000 volts so powerful can kill you but its not voltage that kills you only differences? So if you turned into superman and where flying in air you could just grab on and swing on powerlines anytime, anywhere haha.....

However, electric fields could kill/harm you even if not grounded?

What i dont get is heat though, surely when something has lot of voltage it also has heat?
  • battlebhoy
    also how come if i raise my feet on carpet then place my hands above my head my hair raises to my hands?
  • DrVanNostrand1
    So the rod then makes the suit they are wearing become 500,000 volts also?

yes
  • battlebhoy
    why is it safer to use rod rather than just grab the pole?

whats the difference in effect?
  • cleankiller9
    27 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Birds can sit on non insulated wires and not get electrocuted so the whole it's insulated thing is half true.
  • meowpewpewmeow
    303 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    you may had insane voltage and negilible current and vice versa.
    static in human clothes sometimes goes to KV range, but nobody goes hurt, for example.
  • battlebhoy
    there is minimal current with clothes static?
  • DrVanNostrand1
    you may had insane voltage and negilible current and vice versa.
    static in human clothes sometimes goes to KV range, but nobody goes hurt, for example.

you guys should learn already,we don't play with matches(you wet the bed at night),we don't play with electricity..
    even a lame car alternator could kill you
  • DrVanNostrand1
    edited July 2016
    i have no idea what you guys are learning at school these days...