Amazing look at Monte Grappa, Austrian/Italian battlefield

Puckerbucket
694 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
edited June 2017
So this article from Smithsonian magazine turned up in my Facebook feed. I've always been a Smithsonian fan, but HAD to follow this link. A great article detailing the fight between the Austrians and Italians, and a lot of great photos! After looking through the photo album, I have a whole new respect for the team that designed the Monte Grappa map. It's never been my favorite map to play, but some of these photos look like they are direct screen shots from the game! Really underscores how much effort they put into recreating the original battlefield.
smithsonianmag.com/history/most-treacherous-battle-world-war-i-italian-mountains-180959076/

Comments

• TerminatorGR
    36 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Thanks very much for this
  • Blazcowitz43
    22 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Cool article. You should also check out this video where it shows the real world locations that inspired the Battlefield 1 maps, including Monte Grappa
  • Puckerbucket
    694 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    that's very cool @Blazcowitz43 I did not know this video existed. Really remarkable how much work must have gone into recreating these environments so realistically. Something to keep in mind the next time somebody starts complaining that the slide mechanic is glitched, or that some firearm is firing 5 rpm faster than its real-life counterpart. :o
  • ThePackman627
    160 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I really enjoyed the article. What would be cool is if we could interact with big rocks or such like, and trigger avalanches or rock slides
  • BaconRebellion
    2465 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Will have to look into it. I want to get around to doing Monte Grappa as part of my channel, but idk when I will. Flakfire did an interesting video on Fort Vaux not too long ago.

I hope to get a video of the Chemin des Dames up within the next few weeks or so in honor of Nivelle Nights.
  • Blazcowitz43
    22 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    that's very cool @Blazcowitz43 I did not know this video existed. Really remarkable how much work must have gone into recreating these environments so realistically. Something to keep in mind the next time somebody starts complaining that the slide mechanic is glitched, or that some firearm is firing 5 rpm faster than its real-life counterpart. :o

Thanks :) I have another video from the Great War channel talking about armored trains in WW1, including the one featured as a behemoth in the game "Zaamurets"

• Private_UMPalot
    4234 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I was visiting my mum in her care home, and she was watching a quiz show called Impossible. One question was, what was the longest WW1 battle, Verdun, Amiens, El Alamein? I almost said to my mum, I fought on two of those maps. :D

Answer was El, cough, Verdun.
  • P3ndu1a
    152 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    The Italians should have sniper-camped at the bottom of the mountain.