Just curious - Is the team balance mechanic even a priority with the devs/CTE?

Comments

• Puckerbucket
    565 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Unfortunately, I have to agree.
    I LOVE this game. Probably the biggest fanboy around.
    But the team stacking has gotten out of control. I have not been able to play a single match the last two days, in any mode, where it was not a one-sided blowout in favor of one team or the other. Being on the winning team once can be kind of enjoyable, but then you look up at the score, 1000-479, and realize a bunch of experienced players have just been beating up on 7th graders. There's really no satisfaction in it.
    And if you get caught on the goonies squad, you get 4 or 5 straight matches where you can't do anything to overcome the massively horrid gameplay and lack of cooperation. Pretty soon, I'm checking the weather outside and finding something else to do.
    I'd really like to see this addressed. Somehow. Someway.
  • x_Undaunted_x
    2360 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I'd really like to see this addressed. Somehow. Someway.
    I'd really like to see it addressed too instead of all of this fluff they're currently doing.
  • bran1986
    2843 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Played a lot of Nivelle Nights yesterday and the team stacking was crazy for the 4 or so matches, you would have a bunch of high ranks on one side and on the other you would have a lot of players in their 20's or 30's. After the first 4 matches, it evened out quite well and I had a bunch of close matches. To me this is the single most important issue that needs to be fixed. With all the information and stats DICE has available to them, there has to be a better way at balancing teams, or at the very least scramble the teams after every match, and stop team switching to the team with the most players. Yesterday I was on a team that started down 17 players to 27, and their team of 27 was filled to 32 and ours was still on 17.
  • Temp1st
    2244 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    To be honest a lot of us don't care about XP past level 70. If they wanted to add a reward for switching to the loosing team? BP's or bust.
  • disposalist
    5144 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Temp1st wrote: »
    To be honest a lot of us don't care about XP past level 70. If they wanted to add a reward for switching to the loosing team? BP's or bust.
    That would be cool yeah. 2x the chance of BPs. Maybe just give over some scraps. Maybe only if you win? *shrug* There's lots of options.
  • x_Undaunted_x
    2360 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I've brought this up several times, even on Reddit and received no attention from devs. I never seen a dev comment on the issues - any of them. I would dearly like a comment...
    I don't understand how something like this wouldn't get any attention if it's been brought up on reddit. I know there have been numerous threads here about it so if the devs are watching and listening to the community as stated in this thread, then why is it being ignored? Why are they focusing efforts on other things that, IMO, should have a higher priority. I've been playing BF since BC2 and I don't think I have ever seen this much imbalance at the start of rounds.
  • bleachee
    674 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Just removing team switching and delaying match start until the teams are close to being numerically even would go a long way to improving this serious problem, and both seem to be simple fixes. Team switching is unreal. It makes no sense. What other game, and I don't just mean video games, allows players to switch teams mid-game?
  • bearpatroI
    590 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    bleachee wrote: »
    I'll say it again: Biggest problem in the game. At the very least numerical balance needs to be achieved. No game should start with one team 25% larger than the other.

So stupid to see in the start of rounds teams that are like 20 vs 30. Then of course the bigger team caps all the flags with their man advantage within the first 2 minutes. Then the entire round is ruined even if eventually the teams become 32 vs 32.
  • x_Undaunted_x
    edited June 30
    Indigownd wrote: »
    Team balancing during a match is rising on the list of priorities we will be focusing on, much thanks to threads like this. Your feedback helps us prioritize internally where we spend our time. As per usual I can't give any ETA, but I hope it is of some value to you to know that we are not ignoring the issue.

Thanks for playing, and keep the feedback flowing!

@Indigownd - thanks for responding! I appreciate you letting us know you're aware of it and it's coming up in your backlog. I realize you can't give an ETA, but I really hope it's something addressed sooner rather than later. I know everyone says "address my issue now!!!!" but I really feel like this is a pretty big issue. If you need video, I'll try and get some when I get back from vacation next week.

(If anyone else has any video they can provide, please post it. I know these kind of things can really help the devs.)

@UglyNoah and @disposalist - ask and you shall receive! A dev responded!
  • NakedGeezer
    402 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    A fundamental difficulty in solving this issue is related to something @disposalist brought up a few posts above: the matchmaking is done too early. And that is that it takes an exorbitantly large amount of time to join or quit matches/lobbies. Although great strides have been made to improve this (especially quitting between rounds), it still isn't good enough and at which point should the autobalancer take into account who's joined and who's quit? It can literally take the entire time between rounds to actually quit. The one problem leads to another: if the next round is properly balanced, I would stay more often than not. But if the round starts and we're a squad down and the good players are on the other side, I'm much more likely to quit then before the round starts, which defeats the purpose of autobalancing between rounds. To fix this you'd have to make quit/join much quicker. Do an initial autobalance, keep balancing it as players quit or join between rounds. If you can't do this, then give players an option to see the real time composition of the two teams between rounds, which would allow players to quit earlier and the remaining autobalancing process to do a better job with the remaining and incoming players.
  • disposalist
    5144 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Team balancing during a match is rising on the list of priorities we will be focusing on, much thanks to threads like this. Your feedback helps us prioritize internally where we spend our time. As per usual I can't give any ETA, but I hope it is of some value to you to know that we are not ignoring the issue.

Thanks for responding. Very good to hear it's on the list at least - it really should be at the top ;)
  • ANGRYharold
    774 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

for the love of all that is holy, can you just add ticket counts to the server browser? i'm honestly not sure what the thought was behind the decision to omit this information (hoping lazy players will just stay on the dominated team?), but this has to be equal to balancing in terms of irritation. i can't tell you how many nights i just quit the game because i've spent the last 15 minutes trying to find a close or new round.
  • UglyNoah
    1101 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Does anyone know the numbererical scale they use when it says "based on skill"

Would really appreciate an accurate answer
  • AllOutWar76
    2607 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    UglyNoah wrote: »
    Does anyone know the numbererical scale they use when it says "based on skill"

Would really appreciate an accurate answer

Dice did create their own "skill" stat so I assume it's based off that even though it doesn't work.
  • UglyNoah
    1101 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    It seems harder to play with my platoon (mean SPM is in the top 5% maybe higher)
    Then to play with random teammates
  • AllOutWar76
    2607 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    It seems harder to play with my platoon (mean SPM is in the top 5% maybe higher)
    Then to play with random teammates

Sooo many variables go into this, so you need to ask yourself a few questions.

It's obvious but I have to mention a platoon is nothing more than a label, just like a gang or any organized group. Being in it doesn't increase skill or increase chances of winning in the slightest unless they naturally have the skill. That being said:

1. Does your platoon have stat requirements? If not, it's nothing more than a group of blueberries that may or may not use communication depending on platoon rules.
    2. Does your platoon pull it's members out of their comfort zones? Having a platoon where half the members prefer TDM and the other half prefer Frontlines may not perform optimally in Conquest or ops.
    3. Are you having difficulties when going against teams that have other platoon members? Or do you have the same difficulty going against a team full of randoms with no matching tags?
    4. What game modes are you playing? A decent squad can easily carry 24 and 40p modes but you need an exceptional squad to carry 64 player modes.
    5. Do you play with the same core members? Or are you in a big platoon where you are always playing with different people?

I ask because I experience the exact opposite. The main reason I lose games playing with a full squad of platoon members were under unique circumstances (this is 100% because I do not play competitive games, I'm only talking pub stomps). Most of the time it's me playing with the scrubs in our platoon because nobody else is on. Even then though, it's rare as even if the members don't have good stats, our communication is on point so it rarely happens as I never play 64p modes with those guys. The other times I lost as a full platoon squad is when I go against my own platoon. Even our best 5 can't always carry a 64p game and that's to be expected as we are not exceptional players.

I have not done any platoon vs platoon scrims yet, but I am sure regardless of who is in my squad we will lose, not all games but we will lose plenty. In no way are we some elite MLG pros. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if we lost the majority of platoon battles. I know this to be the case as we played an operations game on oil of empires with 2 full squads and on the second map, 1 squad of platoon members joined and made a huge impact. When we got to the final sector on the last map we had like 20 tickets left. We normally steamroll all three maps on one battalion regardless if their team has a full squad of platoon members or not. I had to send some love mail after that and it netted me a new buddy who is really good.

So yeah, 1-5 should help you figure out what's going on. In particular number 3 is most important as it will answer so much. If you are losing against randoms with your platoon there is either a communication issue or a skill issue. If you lose mostly to other platoons, that's natural and you are just being out played.
  • UglyNoah
    No none of that it's the specific people that I was playing with that I know where their SPM averages. It's not like a group of blueberries because we were squad up so we were always on same team.

The last place player in our squad had more score than the top player on the entire enemy team. We all pto, it seems that sometimes to "balance" we literally get players with 200 SPM so that it is "balanced"
  • AllOutWar76
    No none of that it's the specific people that I was playing with that I know where their SPM averages. It's not like a group of blueberries because we were squad up so we were always on same team.

Maybe I am not interpreting what you are saying correctly but being in a squad is no different from blueberries, you can just spawn on them. With no communication via voice chat a premade squad is no different from a random squad.
    The last place player in our squad had more score than the top player on the entire enemy team. We all pto, it seems that sometimes to "balance" we literally get players with 200 SPM so that it is "balanced"

I'm lost, you said you have a tougher time playing with your platoon than playing solo. Maybe I misunderstood that. Are you saying that after a good game you get stuck with a team of random bad players even if your squad did well?

If so, that's Dice trying to shift good squads around with bad players so next match isn't such a blowout.

The matchmaking you experience on your fist match as a squad is broken as it's supposed to sort by skill but just puts you into a game that needs filling.