Having trouble accessing the forums? Try logging out of the forums completely - clear cache, cookies, and temp files - then restart the browser and log in. Thanks!

What's the deal with the Hellfighters?

incapslap
3313 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
They seem to be the centre for marketing the game but aren't actually a squad in multiplayer. Perhaps they'll be in the final DLC?

Comments

• Vic_R0cks
    347 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited July 15
    incapslap wrote: »
    They seem to be the centre for marketing the game but aren't actually a squad in multiplayer. Perhaps they'll be in the final DLC?

It's just becuase they where black. We all know why
  • mihai2011rom
    481 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Virtue signaling. Appeasing sjw's. Etc.
  • l_water_l
    681 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

I agree, I hope they feature them more heavily in the future.
  • mihai2011rom
    481 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    l_water_l wrote: »

I agree, I hope they feature them more heavily in the future.

Why would they? They're not representative of the war. Only make an extremely tiny fraction of soldiers. They shouldn't even be in the game.
  • Ameeba37
    1452 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Vic_R0cks wrote: »

It's just becuase they where black. We all know why

More like because they were American.
  • l_water_l
    681 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited July 15
    They're not representative of the war. Only make an extremely tiny fraction of soldiers. They shouldn't even be in the game.

So what? It makes the game interesting. Show me every weird experimental gun and vehicle that you can dig up 1 line on in a dusty cabinet in the corner of the Smithsonian's basement. I want to see cool units like the Australian flying corps, the japanese marines, etc. Do you have a problem with that? Because there were more African americans in Europe during WW1 than Australians. From a person with a degree in History and who has played every Battlefield game AND codename eagle at release, stop trying to turn Battlefield into a history lesson. It's a game, it should be fun.
  • incapslap
    3313 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    They're not representative of the war. Only make an extremely tiny fraction of soldiers. They shouldn't even be in the game.

So what? It makes the game interesting. Show me every weird experimental gun and vehicle that you can dig up 1 line on in a dusty cabinet in the corner of the Smithsonian. I want to see cool units like the Australian flying corps, the japanese marines, etc. Do you have a problem with that? Because there were more African americans in Europe during WW1 than Australians. From a person with a degree in History and who has played every Battlefield game AND codename eagle at release, stop trying to turn Battlefield into a history lesson. It's a game, it should be fun.

This isn't correct, and in any case the Australians were fighting from the beginning, in many of the important battles.

mihai, if the argument is for historical accuracy, then it would make more sense to have them in the game, while also having a vast majority white in the other nations. I don't really want to get into it, but saying that the Hellfighters shouldn't be in the game because they were a small minority isn't a very good argument.

I mean, the author of "All Quiet on the Western Front" only fought for two months, should his book be banned?
  • crabman169
    8916 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Consider how they are in the prologue I assumed if character customsation was ever a thing they would be an option for the Americans (or more realistically the French)
  • anzac1915
    361 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

So what? It makes the game interesting. Show me every weird experimental gun and vehicle that you can dig up 1 line on in a dusty cabinet in the corner of the Smithsonian's basement. I want to see cool units like the Australian flying corps, the japanese marines, etc. Do you have a problem with that? Because there were more African americans in Europe during WW1 than Australians. From a person with a degree in History and who has played every Battlefield game AND codename eagle at release, stop trying to turn Battlefield into a history lesson. It's a game, it should be fun.

There were more Aussies that fought in WW1, then there were Afro-Yanks, we were spread across many different theatres in WW1, we were there from start to finish and we fought and died more in WW1 then the Afro-Yanks, so there were more Aussies in Europe throughout WW1, then there were Afro-Yanks. All respect to all our mates that fought and died in WW1, including the Afro-Yanks.
  • l_water_l
    anzac1915 wrote: »
    There were more Aussies that fought in WW1, then there were Afro-Yanks, we were spread across many different theatres in WW1, we were there from start to finish and we fought and died more in WW1 then the Afro-Yanks, so there were more Aussies in Europe throughout WW1, then there were Afro-Yanks. All respect to all our mates that fought and died in WW1, including the Afro-Yanks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history_of_Australia_during_World_War_I#Statistics

Only 331,781 Australians served overseas during WW1 pretty much all over the world, not all were in Europe. We know 350,000 African Americans served during this time, almost exclusively in Europe. My point was not to diminish the Australians in any way, only to say that AA's were in Europe in large enough numbers comparatively to other nations that including them in a video game should not offensive to anyone.
  • crabman169
    8916 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history_of_Australia_during_World_War_I#Statistics

Only 331,781 Australians served overseas during WW1 pretty much all over the world, not all were in Europe. We know 350,000 African Americans served during this time, almost exclusively in Europe. My point was not to diminish the Australians in any way, only to say that AA's were in Europe in large enough numbers comparatively to other nations that including them in a video game should not offensive to anyone.

Please do not cite Wikipedia regarding such topics thanks
  • rock1obsta
    2618 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited July 16
    crabman169 wrote: »

B-b-but, the innerweb don't lie! Wikipedia is the most fact based, random user edited truth-ish site on da webz B)
  • kaliyl777
    1674 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    They should be in the game.
  • SoleSurvivor116
    123 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Just stop complaining, it doesnt affect gameplay it is reasonably accurate but might be over represented. I do agree with the op and would like to see more of them online
  • crabman169
    rock1obsta wrote: »

B-b-but, the innerweb don't lie! Wikipedia is the most fact based, random user edited truth-ish site on da webz B)

Just erks me when the Australian War Memorial/Records is pretty much the second result and that can give you every single detail about every solider; e.g. 2000 Aborignals served in the ww1 and their names and where they fought
  • crabman169

You're right, I was spit balling from memory and used Wikipedia to support my numbers. How about the official numbers?
    https://www.awm.gov.au/articles/encyclopedia/enlistment/ww1
    Straight from the gov's mouth. Slightly higher than was I said. My primary point is still very much valid. The Aussie numbers are split over several theaters. The AA's were focused in Europe. Therefor, even though the Australians saw WAY more combat the sight of a black man in Europe was just a likely as an Aussie during the war.

Again, I'm not trying to down the Aussies. My first post said I WANT THEM IN THE GAME. I was merely comparing the relative numbers of force strength in a real conflict and using that as an argument to include A over B in a fake video game. To repeat my original point, I want every obscure weapon, vehicle, fighting unit, everything in this game! It makes it more interesting.

All good I wasn't knocking your point just I'm wanting people to look past wiki ;)

I mean every Aussie knows Gallipoli but most hardly know Fromelles or Pozières for example. Next to none know about the naval engagments with the Gernans nor the Invasion of New Guniea or North Russia 1919

I want the men and women who served to be remembered in both their darkest and last hours to the day they got married to the nurse they fell in love with after being gassed and the years they lived after the wars

World war 1 shaped who we are today as both a people and country and it bothers me most either don't know or care (mostly millennials who don't pay attention in school)

~

Hopefully I can go to Villars-Brenntoux next year for the hundredth year anniversary and I'll take that time to visit the battlefields and museums around Europe
  • l_water_l
    edited July 16
    I did not delete my comment on purpose. Edit: I'm just stupid.
  • BaconRebellion
    1411 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    And I did a video on the actual Harlem Hellfighters here.

• llPhantom_Limbll
    539 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    kaliyl777 wrote: »
    They should be in the game.

I'm sure american scout class is representing them.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!