Premium Pass content spread too far apart?

Comments

• ShintyShinto
    33 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited July 13
    For a game that sold over 15-million copies, those statistics could use a boost. If they'd released DLCs much faster, or better yet, destroyed the pay wall altogether, we could be looking at a much longer lifespan for the game.

I prefer to look at the playerbase as the average 24hr peak (not the sum of every player that logged in that day) for my platform (XB1). And that is usually sitting at around 100k. The majority of those players don't have access to DLC. And out of the people left who have all the DLC, some of them might only hop on for an hour every fortnight or so... It's only getting worse.

But hey, all games die, might as well make the most of this one before it really is too late! Such a brilliant experience playing this game... I'm excited to see what 2018's Battlefield will bring us.
  • Ram1c
    3155 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Lol there was a peak player count of 180,000 on Sunday, easily over a million players playing bf1, you have no clue what your talking about.
  • ShintyShinto
    33 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    On what platform was that?

Look, I don't care if you agree/disagree with what I've been saying, the general consensus of the Battlefield community is that the DLC is releasing too slowly. The first proper DLC came out 5 months after Battlefield 1 launched!

In 5 months, BF4 had China Rising, Second Assault and Naval Strike! That's 3 DLC packs. It'll take BF1 an entire year to have 3 DLC packs! I suppose the content will be better, but I find it ridiculous.

What's worse is that we have to pay full-price for this! I'd be so much happier if I didn't have to do that, and the game would have a lot more players.

I'm begining to sound like a scratched record now...
  • Ram1c
    3155 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    On what platform was that?

Look, I don't care if you agree/disagree with what I've been saying, the general consensus of the Battlefield community is that the DLC is releasing too slowly. The first proper DLC came out 5 months after Battlefield 1 launched!

In 5 months, BF4 had China Rising, Second Assault and Naval Strike! That's 3 DLC packs. It'll take BF1 an entire year to have 3 DLC packs! I suppose the content will be better, but I find it ridiculous.

What's worse is that we have to pay full-price for this! I'd be so much happier if I didn't have to do that, and the game would have a lot more players.

I'm begining to sound like a scratched record now...

Second assault was not an original dlc, all the maps were remakes from previous bf games so that cuts down on developing time. Bf1 dlc to this point is starting to give you 6 maps per dlc which is more than bf4 and also it's a little harder to just pull dlc out of thin air with an era like ww1, they're working with very limited information.

I'd much rather they take their time and not rush dlc, it will make sure that the dlc is polished and if you think that there are a lot of bugs now imagine what it would be like if they just threw out the content like in bf4. Not to mention like 3 out of 5 bf4 dlcs sucked so bad they weren't even worth playing.

Also don't forget that there is more content going into bf1 content wise, they add new elites, vehicles, and gamemodes with every dlc so it takes time. There are easily currently over a million players playing bf1 so I think it'll be fine.

If your getting bored with the games core gameplay already I doubt that new content will change anything. So stop with the drama, nobody put a gun to your head and made you buy the game or premium.
  • ShintyShinto
    True, they do add a lot more content with these DLCs. At the time of this OP, we didn't know we were getting 6 maps instead of 4.

But you're still mistaking me for this "BF1 is dead! OMG playerbase is dying." crowd... I'm not trying to create drama or hate on a game that I adore. And I still find the gameplay exhilarating... It's just that these release dates are longer than usual, which is killing the playerbase, which is frustrating me. They should've had them prepared if they were going to have a full-price season pass.

Maybe in the long run it keeps it alive for longer. But right now it's like... DLC releases; player count sky high; people get bored and stop playing; long drought; DLC releases; player count sky high and so on and so forth.
  • Ram1c
    True, they do add a lot more content with these DLCs. At the time of this OP, we didn't know we were getting 6 maps instead of 4.

But you're still mistaking me for this "BF1 is dead! OMG playerbase is dying." crowd... I'm not trying to create drama or hate on a game that I adore. And I still find the gameplay exhilarating... It's just that these release dates are longer than usual, which is killing the playerbase, which is frustrating me. They should've had them prepared if they were going to have a full-price season pass.

Maybe in the long run it keeps it alive for longer. But right now it's like... DLC releases; player count sky high; people get bored and stop playing; long drought; DLC releases; player count sky high and so on and so forth.

To be honest I want the player base to get smaller so all these cod scrubs can leave and I can finally play a game of conquest or operations with an actual quality team. The popularity and extra promotion dice did with this one literally ruined any chance of a actual competent playerbase.

I just played a game of operations with a bunch of brain dead idiots who can't understand that you have to capture and HOLD all flags to move on to the next sector.

Ptfo has ruined the minds of all the new players and replaced them with a bunch of flag running zombie **** who can't capture a sector if their life depended on it.
  • ShintyShinto
    Oh boy, I know what you mean. Exact same thing happened to me yesterday! They just run for the nearest flag – no strategy, no flanking, tanks chilling backstage...

I feel like I'm always the guy who goes first, and inevitably gets gunned down, because everyone else is too afraid to sacrifice their KD and play the objective properly. Shotgun is also cancerous, so are all these snipers, but I suppose you need variety...
  • rock1obsta
    3281 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    E3 pretty much confirmed my doubts. Sure, it's good that we're getting 2 new French maps and 6 maps with the Russian DLC, but this content has been spread out way too much.

Playerbase is dropping and if these maps are gonna become serverless after a month then what's the point? It's already **** enough that you're including a full-price season pass, nevermind the droughts between releases!

Honestly, I'm glad they're ditching this approach with Battlefront 2 – which launches later this year – and I'm pretty sure when it comes out, BF1 will be dead. And that's a shame, because we would still only be half way through the season pass! Very annoyed by the Russian DLC delay. It was already bad enough.

BF1 isnt even close to dead. @HardAimedKid can fill you in on the steady numbers with a link if he jumps in on the thread.
    So, let me understand this: BF1 comes out in October 2016, by the time this game is 14 months old, DICE will have given us over 20 maps, dozens of weapons & vehicles, & countless hours of entertainment that boils down to mere pennies per hour, and somehow you people still manage to cry and claim that it's not enough, or fast enough.
    This entitlement generation will be the death of civility and etiquette.
  • moosehunter1969
    520 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    rock1obsta wrote: »
    E3 pretty much confirmed my doubts. Sure, it's good that we're getting 2 new French maps and 6 maps with the Russian DLC, but this content has been spread out way too much.

Playerbase is dropping and if these maps are gonna become serverless after a month then what's the point? It's already **** enough that you're including a full-price season pass, nevermind the droughts between releases!

Honestly, I'm glad they're ditching this approach with Battlefront 2 – which launches later this year – and I'm pretty sure when it comes out, BF1 will be dead. And that's a shame, because we would still only be half way through the season pass! Very annoyed by the Russian DLC delay. It was already bad enough.

BF1 isnt even close to dead. @HardAimedKid can fill you in on the steady numbers with a link if he jumps in on the thread.
    So, let me understand this: BF1 comes out in October 2016, by the time this game is 14 months old, DICE will have given us over 20 maps, dozens of weapons & vehicles, & countless hours of entertainment that boils down to mere pennies per hour, and somehow you people still manage to cry and claim that it's not enough, or fast enough.

The entitlement generation, that hits the nail bang on the head. It seems everyone wants everything and wants it now, people get bored of something after a couple of days and move on, no ones ever happy. It frustrates the hell out of me, I know my everyone and no ones is an exaggeration because there are still plenty of people who are happy with their lot. As they are happy they don't feel the need to whinge and moan constantly on Internet forums.
    I just watched a YouTube video of Lupkow Pass, the comments were full of things saying how **** BF1 was and moan moan moan. Why are these idiots even watching these videos, why do they feel the constant need to draw attention to themselves with their inane remarks and abuse. I would t dream of watching and commenting on things I have no interest in or don't like, what's the point. I put my energies into things I enjoy not things I hate.
    Your last sentence is so true.
  • TEKNOCODE
    5700 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

Why are these idiots even watching these videos, why do they feel the constant need to draw attention to themselves with their inane remarks and abuse. I would t dream of watching and commenting on things I have no interest in or don't like, what's the point. I put my energies into things I enjoy not things I hate.
    Your last sentence is so true.
    This is why:
    source.gif
  • ShintyShinto
    edited July 25
    Golly gosh it's happened again! Please don't confuse me with this 'BF1 is dead' crowd! I love the game, I love the setting, I love the weapons, and I very much love the DLCs!

It's okay to complain. Without criticism, you can't get anywhere. I love what DICE have done with the game, I'm just not a fan of the pay-wall that is Premium Pass – nor do I like the stretched out release dates of these DLCs.

When I started the thread, each DLC was still getting 4 maps instead of 6. And, you see, DICE probably upped it to 6 because of complaints such as this; making the wait seem more worth it. It is definitely appreciated. They know people don't like the waits, that's why they're trying to address it with Lupkow Pass coming August (we initially thought the whole DLC was coming in July/August).

Just because someone criticises a game doesn't mean they adore it any less, nor does it mean they feel 'entitled' to these luxuries. Although at the end of the day, it's our money they're asking for, and who doesn't want their money's worth?

Everyone's always gonna have different desires within a society, can't always please everyone. But you can't expect people to not voice their opinions. I'm sure you guys would do the same if they were releasing them earlier with less content. Honestly, I wouldn't like that either.

And yes, I know it takes time, but I wouldn't mind them releasing the base game later when the DLC is closer to a finished product. Maybe they can do that with BF 2018.

BF1 is alive and kicking. It's just got one hell of a fight to survive, that's all. This would completely change if they tore down the pay-wall. I would be much happier.
  • rock1obsta
    3281 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    If premium disappears & it's all free maps, the quality plummets, we get 1 or 2 a year, & then the freemium crowd complains that the dlc sucks.
  • GRAW2ROBZ
    323 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Dice needs to fix the BF1 server filters. Cause according to the filters its dead on my end. Hardline filter working fine and the servers are jammed full.

37bfbd43-d3db-4f6b-8b4b-e7f845417bb2.PNG?sv=2015-12-11&sr=b&si=DefaultAccess&sig=s%2FL1jHta%2FSggrUTqLzD3LHGjmBbBdYMv1P4ONMmCToM%3D

Picture taken July 23 2017. Then I dashboard the game and went to Hardline to take a picture.

0ab89be9-2f8b-4368-bb37-ea7f8bcee193.PNG?sv=2015-12-11&sr=b&si=DefaultAccess&sig=AwwSclQeRqvlWIQDX94AtywyBtgx1iMThh6H8oxSmpA%3D

Visceral knows how to work the server filters. Also I guess it helps Hardline is on sale for $5.
  • ShintyShinto
    edited July 26
    If premium disappears & it's all free maps, the quality plummets, we get 1 or 2 a year, & then the freemium crowd complains that the dlc sucks.

So you'd rather pay for a season pass? That just seperates the community, the majority don't touch premium.

I guess we'll see if the quality is lacking in BF2 later this year. Either way, they'll definitely get some feedback, which can be applied to BF 2018.
  • ShintyShinto
    @GRAW2ROBZ Wow, that's surprising! I wasn't expecting many full servers for Hardline, especially on Xbox One. Guess I might give it a shot then after all.

They definitely need to fix the server browsing on BF1 though. It rarely works out for me.
  • TEKNOCODE
    5700 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

So you'd rather pay for a season pass? That just seperates the community, the majority don't touch premium.

I guess we'll see if the quality is lacking in BF2 later this year. Either way, they'll definitely get some feedback, which can be applied to BF 2018.

For Battlefield 's premium? Absolutely.

This is my first BF game and the DLC content is by far the best that I have ever encountered. By the end the season, the number of DLC maps will outnumber the vanilla maps.

Point to a free DLC structure that can compete with BF's Premium? One map every three to four months isn't exactly what I would call quality.

I am sure @rock1obsta feels the same way.
  • rock1obsta
    edited July 27

If paying for the season pass ensures the quality standards continuing to be met or exceeded, then hell yes I'll pay for it.
    Based on all the free dlc offered by other games, i have zero faith that DICE can give us the amt and quality they give us now, if it's free.

They have no incentives.

Even though BF2 has a free model, it's not going to mirror their last offerings at all.
    50$ a year, for double the base game is a fantastic deal.
    Those who don't pay for premium are the ones splitting the community, not the ones who do.
    TEKNOCODE wrote: »

For Battlefield 's premium? Absolutely.

This is my first BF game and the DLC content is by far the best that I have ever encountered. By the end the season, the number of DLC maps will outnumber the vanilla maps.

Point to a free DLC structure that can compete with BF's Premium? One map every three to four months isn't exactly what I would call quality.

I am sure @rock1obsta feels the same way.

Indeed I do.
  • ShintyShinto
    No, it is not the people who buy it that seperating the community, nor is it the people who don't. It is the pay-wall itself that is seperating players. You can't blame someone for not buying the game twice, just like you can't blame someone for buying it anyway.

It's not like full-price season passes haven't gone completely free before. Just the other day Doom made all the previous DLC packs free to all players with Update 6.66! DICE will probably do something similar with BF1 once all the DLC has been released.

Whether you like it or not, Premium Pass is gonna be canned by the next BF game. That's what the majority of players and YouTubers want. It's certainly what I want. Whether they keep up the quality or not remains to be seen. And anyway, they can certainly learn from BF2 later this year.
  • Ram1c
    No, it is not the people who buy it that seperating the community, nor is it the people who don't. It is the pay-wall itself that is seperating players. You can't blame someone for not buying the game twice, just like you can't blame someone for buying it anyway.

It's not like full-price season passes haven't gone completely free before. Just the other day Doom made all the previous DLC packs free to all players with Update 6.66! DICE will probably do something similar with BF1 once all the DLC has been released.

Whether you like it or not, Premium Pass is gonna be canned by the next BF game. That's what the majority of players and YouTubers want. It's certainly what I want. Whether they keep up the quality or not remains to be seen. And anyway, they can certainly learn from BF2 later this year.

Yeah your talking about a full price season pass going free after a certain time frame in which it already made money. If you honestly believe that they can make a paid dlc on par with the scale of bf premium a free dlc model your dreaming.

Let me ask you this, if you could choose between,

1. Having the paid dlc model, where you get a great value for the price, an immense amount of content and quality.

2. A free dlc model that severely lacks in the amount and quality of content, which severely limits a games longevity even more so than paid dlc's "community splitting".

3. A paid dlc model that is mandatorily sold with the game, so the game would be the cost of the base game and premium, but would not be available without it. This way the dlc content would be the same quality and amount, but without "splitting" the community.

Which would you choose?

The fact is it is players who are too cheap to purchase the extra content that are splitting the playerbase. Premium is more than worth the price, the amount of content that you get is worth more than the base game itself. I honestly doubt that the majority of players who have an understanding in the differences between models and players who care about the game want a free model.

I also doubt that dice will give out the dlc free in bf1 as they did in bf4 because they have already been investing in ways around that with things like premium trials and premium friends. Also they amount of overall success the game has seen I doubt that the playercount will ever be as low as bf4 to incentivize them to give the dlc out free.

Please stop with the asinine comments like "buying the game twice" lol, premium is downloadable post release content. Meaning not content that was included within the initial base game purchase, whether players are too cheap or too hardheaded to buy it is the players problem, not dice. Paywalls are not the problem, it's the players who refuse to pay a measly fifty dollars for literally double the content that the base game is worth.
  • rock1obsta
    Ram1c wrote: »

Yeah your talking about a full price season pass going free after a certain time frame in which it already made money. If you honestly believe that they can make a paid dlc on par with the scale of bf premium a free dlc model your dreaming.

Let me ask you this, if you could choose between,

1. Having the paid dlc model, where you get a great value for the price, an immense amount of content and quality.

2. A free dlc model that severely lacks in the amount and quality of content, which severely limits a games longevity even more so than paid dlc's "community splitting".

3. A paid dlc model that is mandatorily sold with the game, so the game would be the cost of the base game and premium, but would not be available without it. This way the dlc content would be the same quality and amount, but without "splitting" the community.

Which would you choose?

The fact is it is players who are too cheap to purchase the extra content that are splitting the playerbase. Premium is more than worth the price, the amount of content that you get is worth more than the base game itself. I honestly doubt that the majority of players who have an understanding in the differences between models and players who care about the game want a free model.

I also doubt that dice will give out the dlc free in bf1 as they did in bf4 because they have already been investing in ways around that with things like premium trials and premium friends. Also they amount of overall success the game has seen I doubt that the playercount will ever be as low as bf4 to incentivize them to give the dlc out free.

Please stop with the asinine comments like "buying the game twice" lol, premium is downloadable post release content. Meaning not content that was included within the initial base game purchase, whether players are too cheap or too hardheaded to buy it is the players problem, not dice. Paywalls are not the problem, it's the players who refuse to pay a measly fifty dollars for literally double the content that the base game is worth.

I pick number 3.

These freemium people literally have no idea what they're asking for. They think it's gonna solve all these playerbase issues, when in reality, without the extra millions of dollars, DICE has no incentive to make any dlc.
    Who's to say that if the freemiums get their way, DICE may just decide to can all add-ons (aside from the horrible, idiotic, stupid, money grab micro-transactions) & then what?
    No dlc, thanks to crying freemiums who think it should just be free.

Its not buying the game twice, & anyone who truly believes such garbage should really take a step back & think before speaking.
    Its double the maps of the base game (plus whatever freebies they make) & more weapons/vehicles.
    Everything is different from vanilla, so explain how its buying the game twice....

Doom.....so what? Did they release 16 giant maps with extra weapons and vehicles for free?
    No?
    So then it's irrelevant. Just like every other game out there with paltry free offerings which are mediocre at best.
    Irrelevant.
    No game anywhere gives us so much for 50$
    If you freemiums truly think we'll get this much for free, you're delusional.

DICE, keep the paid premium model. Going freemium will drastically dilute the quality of it. Pay no attention to the freemium voices, they want you to work for free but somehow continue to provide top tier dlc packs.