Having trouble accessing the forums? Try logging out of the forums completely - clear cache, cookies, and temp files - then restart the browser and log in. Thanks!

Awful Inconsistency Someone Explain_.Ruining the experience

Comments

• StarscreamUK
    4046 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Moderator
    I dont care what a troll assumes.

Ok enough with your insults to people. As you seem unable to not control your venom to others, and the fact I've seen your post history and moderation reports, you are now removed from the community for the next tier.

@Immortal_0neShot - you are removed from the community for 1 year.

• daveseargeamt
    606 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    @VBALL_MVP Interested in your views of how to improve buffer bloat.. One test I did shows that the download one is a little wonky - as in higher than average - but the upload one is fairly static around 80nms.

I squaded up with my daughter today and we compared ping ratings - so mine on my machine was between 3 and 8 - on her machine is showed up as 35.. Hers was 38 on mine, and 9 on hers..
  • VBALL_MVP
    3821 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    @VBALL_MVP Interested in your views of how to improve buffer bloat.. One test I did shows that the download one is a little wonky - as in higher than average - but the upload one is fairly static around 80nms.

I squaded up with my daughter today and we compared ping ratings - so mine on my machine was between 3 and 8 - on her machine is showed up as 35.. Hers was 38 on mine, and 9 on hers..

Mostly this is a router issue. Let me get a good video for you that can explain this.
  • daveseargeamt
    606 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    VBALL_MVP wrote: »

Mostly this is a router issue. Let me get a good video for you that can explain this.

Thank you - My overall rating is B - my quality is A, but the bufferbloat is showing as a D for some reason - its green on the upload, and red on the down..

All my games played today where oddly fine. as put in a few good stints without any latency issues, hit detection stuff or lag.
  • VBALL_MVP
    3821 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

Thank you - My overall rating is B - my quality is A, but the bufferbloat is showing as a D for some reason - its green on the upload, and red on the down..

All my games played today where oddly fine. as put in a few good stints without any latency issues, hit detection stuff or lag.

This guy is really good. I would start here

• daveseargeamt

This guy is really good. I would start here

Thank you -- starting to research if it is possible to fix this within my own router as its provided by ISP - and I would prefer not to replace if I can resolve.
  • StarscreamUK
    4046 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Moderator
    my own router suffers bufferbloat :(
  • daveseargeamt

With you on this one!
  • VBALL_MVP

I had this problem with my old router. I finally bit the bullet and bought a better (unfortunately ridiculously priced) router. Unbelievable how much of a difference it makes.
  • daveseargeamt

I had this problem with my old router. I finally bit the bullet and bought a better (unfortunately ridiculously priced) router. Unbelievable how much of a difference it makes.

Thats whats troubling me at the moment.. as I am sure I could argue about this as part of my ISP contract, and it is their issue to resolve.. So use toying with which route to take if I cannot fix.
  • VBALL_MVP

Thats whats troubling me at the moment.. as I am sure I could argue about this as part of my ISP contract, and it is their issue to resolve.. So use toying with which route to take if I cannot fix.

This is where ISPs get careful with their sayings. In the past Comcast uses to advertise their top service as their gaming package...or sometimes say it is what you need for gaming. Unfortunately people sued because they didn't have good gaming experience. Some of them lost because it was identified that it was their side...others won and from there on Comcast dropped this term cause it was viewed as a guarantee.

The problem is there are many routes and many providers between routes, not to mention many over sell their capabilities. This is what typically causes issues. That along with many not streaming or playing games which require little delay means that they can get away with sub par systems.
  • daveseargeamt

This is where ISPs get careful with their sayings. In the past Comcast uses to advertise their top service as their gaming package...or sometimes say it is what you need for gaming. Unfortunately people sued because they didn't have good gaming experience. Some of them lost because it was identified that it was their side...others won and from there on Comcast dropped this term cause it was viewed as a guarantee.

The problem is there are many routes and many providers between routes, not to mention many over sell their capabilities. This is what typically causes issues. That along with many not streaming or playing games which require little delay means that they can get away with sub par systems.

I will keep you all posted on if I can resolve this.
  • UrinDenialP
    100 postsMember, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Right.
    Explain this one.

I was testing the asus merlin firmware this afternoon and i checked fifa's traffic.
    All fine and dandy now.
    Previously was having issues due to trend micro's engine in the AC88U not recognising fifa gaming traffic so couldn't use adaptive qos.
    Turns out the engine didn't recognise it because i was on vlans....great.
    I have moved isp since.
    Im sure they still use vlans but only one so its mayexplain why fifa is recognised.

waffle over...now to the serious stuff.

Checked BF1 on the qos statistics.
    Noticed gaming traffic on both dowload and upload...i thought great.
    No issues.
    But i also noticed high levels on default.
    I then noticed as the game started that there were high levels on gaming traffic on up and down....but then it changed ..it seemed to shift 90% to default.
    This is very odd behaviour.
    I highly doubt trend micro would be the cause of this as they would know what is what and stick by their set traffic rules.
    So does the game chuck out different types of traffci which may confuse isp and network routers who will have their own (or maybe even trend icro's) qos system?

I think this is a possibility as to why the game plays weird at times with no noticeable change on the network graph.

Ive also noticed the network graph bears no resemblance to how the game plays.

thoughts?
  • UrinDenialP
    BTW bufferbloat is easy to solve but you need to be careful and not force quality down.

I have a 50/50 connection.
    I get A A A on dsl reports with 35 download and 34 upload depending on how my isp is on a given day.

Tweak it wrong and it can lower quality.
    You have to try quite a few normally till you get the right figure.
  • UrinDenialP
    For humour sake, just ran a uk internet speed test from my Macbook sat a metre or so from my PS4 Pro.

Ping 8ms.
    Down speed 50mb (fish)
    Up 9mb (ish)

Reckons I am in top 10% in the UK..

If that is the case, my really poor games must be really interesting to explain.. would love to know why.

Oddly my ping is passing through an exchange 11 miles away..

Rubbing my gene lamp..

Speed test doesnt tell you much...all it says is that from your point to the speed test server (11 miles away) what your bandwidth is. Here is why speed tests are not accurate:

1. They choose the closest server so you dont see degradation
    2. ISPs prioritize speed test traffic to inflate how good their internet is
    3. The servers are not in the UK so you are not really testing your actual route. Basically you are saying that the M1 has no road issues because your experience currently on the M4 is fine
    4. Speed tests dont measure line quality, jitter, packet loss
    5. You are not transmitting significant data through a speed test.

So as stated before, running a speed test can help rule some things out...but by no means does it state your connection is good.

Disagree with 5.
    you do transfer significant data but its not long enough to bypass any dirty tactics isps might use.
    ie..speed boosting....dunno if they still use this btw.

6.most speed sites use tcp...dsl uses html5...still not game traffic though...needs to be udp.
    7.ea need their own in the locations they host witht the servers....there could be a significant amount of udp to and froeing from these servers which could affect some people because of the routes the server needs to use to get to them and vice versa....im convinced some routes are gonna be busier than others (naturally) and network routers will be kicking some udp like they do with icmp.

I use pingplotter and see plenty of icmp being booted.
    If a route has congestion some nodes stop showing info...this is a sure sign imo that they have to be kicking some udp.
    My isp shows one of theirs having issues then it stops....im seeing 6000ms ping spikes !!!...then it stops showing.
    They wouldnt kick tcp because of the nature of the protocol.
    It would simply resend....not easing congestion.

IMO since net neutrality udp has become what p2p was before hand.
    the dirty protocol compared tot he dirty traffic type.

problem is we need some in the industry to blow the lid open.
  • AngelofMirth1
    4 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Frustrating games again and again..i have used Network graph in the options and if the icons for latency, network traffic variation etc come up then I expect some difficulties and is reasonable to lose many fights...My problem is with very low ping games in which I often seem to have the best ping, lucky for me..Yet I really struggle to win one on ones or when I shoot they have roller skates on and ghost around...or bullet sponge brilliantly... So i try and lead the target which helps..but the timing of the game feels off even though i have this supposed excellent ping to the server....I find the best way to tackle the hit registration/network issues is longer distance positional play..which is great if your first two to three shots are registering properly and quickly..but when the timing feels off then on fast cqc maps this isn't really an option a lot of the time due to the fluid and very fast nature of the map.

So I again select shotgun and this is where I notice more discrepancies in the hit registration and is game breaking for me....I loaded up on shotgun today....see a chap...dead on target...5' away...hit him dead centre...take 8 health off him..he notices me, I am shot out...gets real tired losing these fights so often..putting in 2-4 shotgun shots more often than not to drop someone and then being noticed by his team mates and shot out instantly. In turn i become more and more frustrated and start chasing kills and not using cover and losing fights when i have come up behind them etc...then i call it quits...

So for fun I jump on American servers..I have a much higher ping and I lose fights but this is to be expected yet I also can find some comfort here and enjoy the game....And I also have been exploring the Asian servers and again the game runs poorly but I feel that I am bullet sponging people shots..and yes I die as to be expected with a very high ping but I am sure many people are jumping from their chairs when i bullet sponge.

I am playing o Europe servers yet the inconsistency in gameplay/hit registration and timing is very noticeable. When i often die from an awful ridiculous deaths and i don't know my connection i look at the team sheets and it so often when i have the best connection to the server...It drives me crazy...And another observation.

When I play against the very best kdr guys on a map I notice they are often just ahead in the timing/server and it is very hard to put damage on them because it is almost like they are not where you see them on your screen Now I suppose I am describing connection and tick rate etc...This is huge factor I am guessing on hit registration?

Don't trash my gameplay as i have only been learning this game recently from not having played an fps for a long time...sometimes and increasingly now i have lovely games where I see you and i drop you cleanly without the rubbish i elsewhere experience. I think this game has some sublime moments but it needs to be called out for some poor performance issues and inconsistencies.

• UrinDenialP
    IMo the graph's data bear no resemblence to how the game plays...not for me anyway.

Some say its to do with lag comp.
    It could be.
    I think its down to how isp's manage your route.
    Cheap routes and your gonna encounter congestion.
    Some of the congestion isnt easily spottable.
    Pingplotter shows a few on my route to ireland as not showing any info.
    A sure sign of problems.
    One flitters in and out of transparency...just before it stops showing info it will always ping spike.
    These tests are also run with icmp which the games dont use.
    udp is sure to be worse off than icmp.

I said this on the fifa forum.
    EA made a big mistake sticking servers in a few locations.

For me i have to go through the uk to get to ireland.
    And on the dutch servers i have to go through paris.

These are two very busy internet lanes.
    UK is behind in terms of infrastructure per client.....paris is self explantory...the centre of europe.

ea need to stratgically place servers for their games ...or better still...in every country.

their decisions have lacked foresight.
  • jmgargoyle
    2016 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I dont care what a troll assumes.

That's fine, but don't get man when you're called out for being a immature whiner who has nothing of value to bring to the discussion.

@jmgargoyle has things improved somewhat now that your ISP found an issue?

Not yet! I've been playing quite a bit less too because of it.
  • JLennon83
    99 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    inb4 vball looks at your battle reports and claims it fine

He does it on every thread he is in, every thread he particpates in the thread becomes toxic and gets closed eventually. just ignore him. He still believes high ping doesnt matter and his game always runs fine and if there are issues its everything except the game. But when you see him playing on Twitch he is crying like a 5yo about how bad the game is.

Just ignore him.

I wouldn't be surprised if he works for them or is paid in some way. He's the damage control for sure.
  • JLennon83
    99 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    dA_9_eL_81 wrote: »
    i´d say this thread is ruined... Admins... please Lock it...

ON-TOPIC: the game works perfectly fine...

The game works perfectly fine? Are you on dope? GTFO.