Snipers OP - Remove OHK "Sweet Spot" mechanic, add incentive(s) for squad assisting

Label07
2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
This is kind of a two in one post regarding the terrible OP state of snipers in BF1. Snipers have always been powerful as they should be. It's even worse in BF1 due to the OHK "sweet spot" mechanic.

Most people, I would argue, rarely take into account the distance they are at and the distance required for the OHK, they get in a comfortable spot and start firing. There is little to no bullet drop just a little lead time if the target is on the move, which makes sniping even easier. Make sniping take skill again like it did in BFBC2.

The second issue is snipers sitting back as they always do not helping their squad/team. There needs to be some kind of incentive for them to move up and cover their squad. Even though they are in squads right now, they are still basically lone wolves.

I would go as far as to say snipers should be limited to 1 per squad, guess custom controls on servers will allow something like this...

Is sniping the most balanced it has ever been, no need for change? Tired of seeing 4 of 5 people in the squad with the sniper icon? How does the community feel about this?

Comments

• TwinWoIf
    565 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Sniper rifles that had the option to OHK to the chest in previous Battlefields were considered broken because they could OHK from up blank up to a certain distance. This also contradicted their role as long range weapons (hence the term "ghetto shotguns").

Sniper rifles that could only OHK to the head in BF3/BF4 were largely noncompetitive, as they were the only weapon class which relied on hitting the smallest part of the body to use effectively at its intended range (in comparison to ARs, PDWs, and LMGs which could easily excel at their ideal ranges through bodyshots).
    Not only that, but this also led to bland balancing, with bullet velocity and fire rate as primary distinguishing factors among the weapon class.

The sweet spot mechanic fixes both issues.
  • Led0rus
    105 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    TwinWoIf wrote: »
    Sniper rifles that had the option to OHK to the chest in previous Battlefields were considered broken because they could OHK from up blank up to a certain distance. This also contradicted their role as long range weapons (hence the term "ghetto shotguns").

Sniper rifles that could only OHK to the head in BF3/BF4 were largely noncompetitive, as they were the only weapon class which relied on hitting the smallest part of the body to use effectively at its intended range (in comparison to ARs, PDWs, and LMGs which could easily excel at their ideal ranges through bodyshots).
    Not only that, but this also led to bland balancing, with bullet velocity and fire rate as primary distinguishing factors among the weapon class.

The sweet spot mechanic fixes both issues.

The one thing I love about the sweet spot mechanic is that it makes each rifle so unique. The Martini has the best sweet spot in the game, but it has a sluggish reload and a bad muzzle velocity to go with that. Without sweet spots, why would anyone use it? The M.95 would be everyone's go to.
  • bran1986
    5913 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    If you take away the sweet spot mechanic, you will create far more bush wookies than there already is.
  • crabman169
    12848 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    ^ what he said

Also actual sniping is hardly skill. It's more about patience and that ties in with battlefield quite well.
    The Bullet and muzzle velocity is akin to real life hence the "lack of bullet drop" (which actually kicks in at 300m pretty hard)

Lmao at this threads though; everytime
  • A7XOGG
    229 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Sniping at range takes skill, ptdo sniping takes more skill. But once again we got another thread saying we have too many snipers. But you need to play conquest and frontlines cause operations if your defennding is a snipers Paradise
  • Ferdinand_J_Foch
    3417 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I'd rather not have CoD style quickscoping make a return to this game.
  • obisearch
    774 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Loqtrall created the essay I couldn't be bothered to write so I propped him.
    Honestly imagine the the game without sweet spot, the only difference between guns would be bullet velocity. Why would I use a gun with a low bullet velocity? Why would I use a Martini Henry when I can use a gewer 98 or 95 for all engagement?. This will just leaf to meta gunning
    And where's the balance ? Unless I'm using g95 and that Russian rapid fire sniper I as a scout would have no favourable engagement against other classes.
    So no to removing the OHK potential.
  • IllIllIII
    4245 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    1st sniper/scout is the toughest class the play
    2nd the ohk can go if you ask me, as a aggressive scout i barely profit from ohk's
    3rd they should never limit any class.
    4th i see alot squads full of assaults, not scouts.
    And last, hillhumpers are easy to countersnipe, spot them as much as possible and your friendly scouts will counter them.
  • disposalist
    8972 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited July 2017
    The body OHKs don't happen often, but when they do it's extremely irritating (as the victim) and weirdly off-putting as the scout (most times it's a WTF moment for me and I've already lined up the follow up). I'd prefer 99 damage so you at least have a *chance* to get to cover after being body-shot. Want an OHK? Hit the head. A body shot in an active zone pretty much guarantees you an Assist As Kill - the sweetspot is not needed.

There is plenty to differentiate scout rifles without the sweetspot, though, sure they might need some tweaking if it's removed.

Most scouts I know don't intentionally use it and wouldn't miss it.

The return of the ghetto quick-scope shotgun scout would be awful.

As for limiting sniper rifles (the OP never suggesting limiting the scout - most people don't - it's the sniping that's the problem) I'd be up for that, but it's not because sniping is OP it's because sniping is easy and attractive to noobs and, yes, a sniper-heavy match ruins it for everyone.
    The problem with the change for private servers made recently is it is at the kit level. Useless. Scouts are fine - snipers are the problem.

The OP has rolled about 3 threads already in existence into one, though... This will just become a messy argument.
  • ChaiFox
    125 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Some people say it forces the scout to move up with the team to help push & cover the objectives. What it actually does is it incentivizes the scout for taking more potshots, which would not be nearly so bad if the sniping in this game wasn't dumbed down so much as to basically be point and click. Its a system that removes even more of the little skill still left to sniping in this game.
  • azelenkin0306
    565 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    obisearch wrote: »
    Loqtrall created the essay I couldn't be bothered to write so I propped him.
    Honestly imagine the the game without sweet spot, the only difference between guns would be bullet velocity. Why would I use a gun with a low bullet velocity? Why would I use a Martini Henry when I can use a gewer 98 or 95 for all engagement?. This will just leaf to meta gunning
    And where's the balance ? Unless I'm using g95 and that Russian rapid fire sniper I as a scout would have no favourable engagement against other classes.
    So no to removing the OHK potential.

It's easy. Make the maximum damage of all Sweet Spot rifles as 99. Problem solved: you have a chance to take cover and these guns can still compete with G.95

But i am sure that it won't happen
  • Halcyon_Creed_N7
    1546 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    1. double points for spot assist as Scout
    2. make flares auto regenerate like grenades
    3. add reverse marksman bonus, so the closer you are to enemies the more points you get per kill up to 75 for within 5m and 75 for a headshot regardless of distance. 0 bonus for non-headshot kills outside of 100m

This will drastically increase the points an aggressive Scout player can accrue, whether or not that incentivizes hill campers to PTFO is up for debate.

I wouldn't be opposed to having the sweet spot removed from all scoped variants of scout rifles, but I also see how that kills the balance within that class.
  • IllIllIII
    4245 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    1. double points for spot assist as Scout
    2. make flares auto regenerate like grenades
    3. add reverse marksman bonus, so the closer you are to enemies the more points you get per kill up to 75 for within 5m and 75 for a headshot regardless of distance. 0 bonus for non-headshot kills outside of 100m

This will drastically increase the points an aggressive Scout player can accrue, whether or not that incentivizes hill campers to PTFO is up for debate.

I wouldn't be opposed to having the sweet spot removed from all scoped variants of scout rifles, but I also see how that kills the balance within that class.

Nice idea, but hillhumpers go for kd.
    Not points.