Bring back airfields

Stokklen
58 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
As the title suggest, I liked the implementation of the airfield/base/runway for airplanes to take off from in past Battlefield titles. If they are set back a bit further back from the objectives with one or two AA guns, that would just be amazing.

As it stands, there seeming are more enemy pilots who are waiting at the opposing air spawn to camp fresh spawn planes.

Other than that the plane fighting is absolutely great!

Comments

• Dogwoggle11
    2669 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Totally. I loved planting Mines/C4 there.

/s
  • Phoenux289
    260 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Maybe a future game mode "Air superiority" where each team take off from an airfield?
  • trip1ex
    4979 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 2017
    I was just thinking about this the other day. I miss airfields.

I miss in BF42 where you had to land your plane and get out and rep it.

You can barely land a plane in BF1 because they are so touchy to exploding at the slightest contact with anything. And I dn't like the in-air repairing mechanic. It feels dumb.

ON the other hand, I also remember all the dead weight sitting around on the airfields. And games where enemies sat and camped your planes and base.
  • crabman169
    12847 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    And you think pilots wouldn't camp the airfield destroying planes as soon as they spawn?
  • boutneus
    2475 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited July 2017
    Airfields? No thnx. Super annoying having to deal with scrubs that bail out of bounds trying to steal parked aircraft. Just because they suck at dogfighting. Or snipers doing nothing but watching the pilot seat, waiting 4 people to spawn in. Glad they got rid of m
  • MarxistDictator
    4977 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Hardline fixed vehicle stealing, vehicles in one team's base could only be manned by players of that side (if it leaves the base and is abandoned it can be stolen, but only bums let this happen).
  • Beakerb43
    174 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I did like the refill mechanic that forced someone to leave the airspace to refill on ammo/repair. BF2's Flyby refill and Repair was nice.
  • mph199
    97 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Why? So random teammates can be even MORE useless and FURTHER away from the action?

Besides, you do not want to give me an excuse to camp in a stationary AA all match long... I'm warning you, I WILL do it!
  • GRIZZ11283
    4839 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Didn't they have automatic AA on bf4 at the bases?
    Don't see why they took runways out personally.
  • SliceNaToooR
    244 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    It's the kind of thing that sounds great in theory, but not so much in practice!

I personally wouldn't mind if they would bring them back, since I hate planes so much, I would probably have a lot of fun sniping pilots as they get ready for take off.
  • hawcer
    3289 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    mph199 wrote: »
    Why? So random teammates can be even MORE useless and FURTHER away from the action?

Besides, you do not want to give me an excuse to camp in a stationary AA all match long... I'm warning you, I WILL do it!

Just make it where only friendly piots can be in that area. for everyone else...it's out of bounds.

That being said....I now miss sniping pilots out of the cockpit with the 50cal on BF2.
  • l_water_l
    1545 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I could see this happening in the next Battlefield title, especially if they have decided to go with WW2. However, with BF1 there is no way every map is going to be redesigned with this in mind. Really, the only mechanic involved with airfields in bf42 that I would like to see brought back is limited ammo for the planes that had to be replenished. Even then, you could just fly over the airfield to be rearmed you did not need to land.
  • hawcer
    3289 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    l_water_l wrote: »
    I could see this happening in the next Battlefield title, especially if they have decided to go with WW2. However, with BF1 there is no way every map is going to be redesigned with this in mind. Really, the only mechanic involved with airfields in bf42 that I would like to see brought back is limited ammo for the planes that had to be replenished. Even then, you could just fly over the airfield to be rearmed you did not need to land.

yep, make em have to fly over the uncap. the continuous bombing runs by a circling plane drives you kinda insane after awhile....especially when it's a tiny capture zone and it's about impossible to miss enemies when bombing it.
  • NL73schietdammer
    506 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    hawcer wrote: »
    l_water_l wrote: »

yep, make em have to fly over the uncap. the continuous bombing runs by a circling plane drives you kinda insane after awhile....especially when it's a tiny capture zone and it's about impossible to miss enemies when bombing it.

yes the cooldown on bombs needs to come way way down, it really doenst matter which class you are assault medic support scout none have anything to defend himself againt planes , absolutely ridiculous it is also 1 of the reasons why the kills per minute in a plane compared to bf4 exploded by 64% https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/109580/x#latest
  • Stokklen
    58 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    maybe not redesigning old maps. But in newer maps. I mean if there is AA that would be defense enough against pilot spawn camps.

If the airfield is 500M back from the boundary, I wouldn't worry too hard about snipers.
  • zenn_nme
    816 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Ah, memories of Battlefield past... the good 'ol 1942 days; dropping off to the factory roof, snipping the airbase, stealing their planes... ^^

Though an airfield would make some nice cinematic views like in Flyboys/The Red Baron; planes all in line ready to go. :)