Madsen MG Trench v Plane

BaconRebellion
2465 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
I know that the one assignment to unlock the MG14/17 in the new DLC is destroying 2 planes with the Madsen MG Trench, and while it is ridiculous, and we all have our complaints about it, I simply have to ask if its even possible to take out a plane with the Trench variant. I played a quick round of Conquest on Fao to see how it fairs against a plane, and honestly, even though I suck at landing damage on planes with a LMG, I don't think I could do more than 10 damage on the planes in one pass/one magazine. The only way I can see taking out a plane with the Trench variant, is if theyre already severely damaged, and in that case, they are probably far away repairing themselves, and far out of the range of the Madsen Trench.

This is how I faired with it against a plane. Not well. Its like shooting BBs at kevlar.

Comments

• slywether
    58 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Shoot wings, b and d point Monte grappa, prob get it in one game.
  • SliceNaToooR
    244 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    slywether wrote: »

Good tip.

Also doing this challenge with a friend or two would help!
  • HardAimedKid
    11386 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    It's a troll job by dice either way. I've always thought assignments were bs, but to make an assignment like that is ridiculous.
  • Ferdinand_J_Foch
    3410 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    The Madsen MG Trench is not the best LMG for killing aircraft. Even the Low Weight version would be superior, due to its bipod. This weapon is meant to be used as a hipfiring CQB weapon, not an AA gun. Even if you empty the entire mag into an aircraft, the pilot will just laugh at your stupidity, and then brutally annihilate you after turning around. You'll have to either resort to kill-stealing, or using an actual AA weapon to weaken the aircraft to the point that the Madsen Trench can actually destroy them.

I know that DICE is trying to show that you can damage aircraft quite a bit with infantry weapons, but it is illogical to use CQB 20/30 round LMGs against any aircraft. Even if you had a decent LMG for this task, it only really works if you get a whole squad to fire at the aircraft at the same time. Even whilst having that squad, you need the aircraft to be flying low and slow enough to actually hit; no LMG squad is going to hit a fighter moving at maximum speed up in the skies.
  • HardAimedKid
    11386 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The Madsen MG Trench is not the best LMG for killing aircraft. Even the Low Weight version would be superior, due to its bipod. This weapon is meant to be used as a hipfiring CQB weapon, not an AA gun. Even if you empty the entire mag into an aircraft, the pilot will just laugh at your stupidity, and then brutally annihilate you after turning around. You'll have to either resort to kill-stealing, or using an actual AA weapon to weaken the aircraft to the point that the Madsen Trench can actually destroy them.

I know that DICE is trying to show that you can damage aircraft quite a bit with infantry weapons, but it is illogical to use CQB 20/30 round LMGs against any aircraft. Even if you had a decent LMG for this task, it only really works if you get a whole squad to fire at the aircraft at the same time. Even whilst having that squad, you need the aircraft to be flying low and slow enough to actually hit; no LMG squad is going to hit a fighter moving at maximum speed up in the skies.

What dice should show us is that they at least kind of respect us as paying customers and not do bogus crap like this.
  • ThePunisher_be
    349 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Our console brothers are f!cked. On PC, it is rather easy to track a plane. I can land most shots of my magazine: then it does around 20-30 damage.
  • half_empty_soul
    308 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Our console brothers are f!cked. On PC, it is rather easy to track a plane. I can land most shots of my magazine: then it does around 20-30 damage.

dude 20-30 points /= 20-30 damage to the plane
  • disposalist
    8745 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    It *is* CTE... Post on the CTE feedback forum that you think it's a bad idea. Maybe it won't get to release.
  • Goofy-The-Sc0t
    1214 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Further proof that whoever comes up with these unlock challenges has never played BF1
  • Captain_DarIing
    1425 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    GoofyMC123 wrote: »
    Further proof that whoever comes up with these unlock challenges has never played BF1

True that.

DICE is detached from reality.
  • Fhurstinator
    146 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

I think if you disable a wing and he crashes as a result the game will recognize it as an "accident" and you will not be awarded the kill. You have to shoot the plane until it explodes i believe
  • disposalist
    8745 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited July 2017
    I think if you disable a wing and he crashes as a result the game will recognize it as an "accident" and you will not be awarded the kill. You have to shoot the plane until it explodes i believe
    I believe it depends how long since you did the damage (and it's usually too long, yes) though if you get "Disabled" then it seems to credit the destruction a lot later.
  • Gmkillers
    1239 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Next challenge "get 2 plane kills with the kolibri" :expressionless:
  • Captain_DarIing
    1425 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I know that the one assignment to unlock the MG14/17 in the new DLC is destroying 2 planes with the Madsen MG Trench, and while it is ridiculous, and we all have our complaints about it, I simply have to ask if its even possible to take out a plane with the Trench variant. I played a quick round of Conquest on Fao to see how it fairs against a plane, and honestly, even though I suck at landing damage on planes with a LMG, I don't think I could do more than 10 damage on the planes in one pass/one magazine. The only way I can see taking out a plane with the Trench variant, is if theyre already severely damaged, and in that case, they are probably far away repairing themselves, and far out of the range of the Madsen Trench.

This is how I faired with it against a plane. Not well. Its like shooting BBs at kevlar.

It's bad enough on PC for dealing damage, but I see you are using console aim. Which reminds me how more bad defacto small arms damage actually is in practice.
  • disposalist
    edited July 2017
    So I thought I'd try it...
  • BaconRebellion
    2465 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    It *is* CTE... Post on the CTE feedback forum that you think it's a bad idea. Maybe it won't get to release.

Ill post there but i don't know where that forum is
  • EmothicVH
    973 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The only way I see of being able to do this challenge is camp next to an AA gun. Heavily damage the enemy plane as it flies by, then quickly jump off of the AA and get the kill with the LMG. Only way I see at this being possible other then just having sheer luck.
  • disposalist
    EmothicVH wrote: »
    The only way I see of being able to do this challenge is camp next to an AA gun. Heavily damage the enemy plane as it flies by, then quickly jump off of the AA and get the kill with the LMG. Only way I see at this being possible other then just having sheer luck.
    Did you miss my vid? It took 5 minutes.
  • disposalist
    https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/categories/cte-general-feedback
  • BaconRebellion
    https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/categories/cte-general-feedback

Is it only for CTE members? I can't seem to start a thread there