Hit Detection

Comments

• mmarkweII
    2919 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    VBALL_MVP wrote: »
    To me it's a collision issue between the player and the room. Either the colliders aren't set up correctly or the SM collision hulls aren't done well enough. There's also a chance (not likely) that player movement isn't physics based.

If collisions are correct then a player wouldn't push through walls or other objects. Regardless the player interactions hold a higher priority within the world space hierarchy.

I know this was explained before in BF4...just dont remember where. Dang...

It was probably explained around this same issue as well as the whole incendiary grenades going through walls/floors etc. Same as the gas grenades in the early days of BF1 IMO. :)

PS. @VBALL_MVP go Indians. ....jk
  • Rev0verDrive
    6762 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    To me it's a collision issue between the player and the room. Either the colliders aren't set up correctly or the SM collision hulls aren't done well enough. There's also a chance (not likely) that player movement isn't physics based.

If collisions are correct then a player wouldn't push through walls or other objects. Regardless the player interactions hold a higher priority within the world space hierarchy.

I know this was explained before in BF4...just dont remember where. Dang...

Might have been. My experience comes from level design and more specifically static meshes vs bsp/csg. The collision on BSP is perfect. But BSP is terrible for performance. Static meshes are stored in memory, thus better for performance. Yet when you import an SM into a game it needs to have a collision hull. There are many different types of collision hulls and approaches. Very simplified collisions such as a cube, capsule or sphere enveloping the entire mesh or per poly (complex as simple) which comes at a performance cost.

Here's a few pics of the D Flag ceiling mesh from my Op locker port that I'm working on.

The first image shows the poly outline in green and the collision hull in Purple. Note the collision isn't very precise. I used auto convex with max hulls and vertices.

YbxPJLR.jpg

In this pic I'm using complex as simple ... basically a per poly collision hull. It actually mimics the binormals, tangents, vertices etc.

Idk1HyK.jpg

jBjo2s7.jpg
  • mmarkweII
    2919 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    @Rev0verDrive I love it when you post all technical and stuff ;)
  • Rev0verDrive
    6762 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    mmarkweII wrote: »
    @Rev0verDrive I love it when you post all technical and stuff ;)

Pics are worth their weight in gold.

Just remember these pics the next time you wonna shed tears over BF load times.
  • lizzard
    985 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    lizzard wrote: »
    diagoro wrote: »
    So this is the fifth time this has happened to me!!! I've gotten out, gotten back in, switched main weapons even repaired the Tank to no avail. When you shoot other tanks it's just a puff of smoke.

Have you tried to see if your 3rd person crosshairs are lined up where the first person crosshairs are? There was an issue in the beta where the 3rd person crosshairs were WAY off from the first person, by a lot.

Full disclosure. I watched on my phone and couldn't tell.

Yes I tried to aim off target in both directions in 1st and 3rd person view. Still the same thing no damage. This has happened before too same results. Also I'm not able to do damage to destructible environments. Such as walls, buildings, vehicle's and flowerpots.

If you aren't doing any damage to walls, I'm sure @Rev0verDrive would have some insight as to why this could be happening. Could also be a new bug if this has not happened before the latest update.

Yeah looks like a crazy bug. Not only no damage to walls but his shots are literally shooting way off target.

The other day I had a bug where I was constantly dropping ammo and couldn't switch weapons. Looked like I was karate chopping everything.

Wonder if it's related to that buggy moments when you destroy a part of a wall/window and it immediately reappears as normal.

Could be. I played a couple of nights ago and had the same issue on foot. Seems if you're right on the wall it sometimes makes you "part" of the wall.

You have video of this?
    What did the SrvTick show?

Yup i do.

Then don't be shy.. Post it!

Tell me...if I do....what you going to do with it...you saw it happens on the previous vid, why do you want mine?

Hmmm.. Don't remember "guy inside wall" happen in that video?

I had one guy halfway in a wall in an old video..

It sounded like you had good prof of it happening..?
  • VBALL_MVP
    6177 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    So this is the fifth time this has happened to me!!! I've gotten out, gotten back in, switched main weapons even repaired the Tank to no avail. When you shoot other tanks it's just a puff of smoke.

Have you tried to see if your 3rd person crosshairs are lined up where the first person crosshairs are? There was an issue in the beta where the 3rd person crosshairs were WAY off from the first person, by a lot.

Yes I tried to aim off target in both directions in 1st and 3rd person view. Still the same thing no damage. This has happened before too same results. Also I'm not able to do damage to destructible environments. Such as walls, buildings, vehicle's and flowerpots.

If you aren't doing any damage to walls, I'm sure @Rev0verDrive would have some insight as to why this could be happening. Could also be a new bug if this has not happened before the latest update.

Yeah looks like a crazy bug. Not only no damage to walls but his shots are literally shooting way off target.

The other day I had a bug where I was constantly dropping ammo and couldn't switch weapons. Looked like I was karate chopping everything.

Wonder if it's related to that buggy moments when you destroy a part of a wall/window and it immediately reappears as normal.

Could be. I played a couple of nights ago and had the same issue on foot. Seems if you're right on the wall it sometimes makes you "part" of the wall.

You have video of this?

Yup i do.

Tell me...if I do....what you going to do with it...you saw it happens on the previous vid, why do you want mine?

You have a bad sense of comprehension. Read my post again, I never said a guy was in the wall. I said "Seems if you're right on the wall it sometimes makes you "part" of the wall"

Go see @Rev0verDrive post...the illustration speaks volume.
  • Astr0damus
    2904 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Melee through wall:
    [vimeo]
  • Astr0damus
    2904 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Possible hit detection issue?
    (first target seems fine since it is farther, but second target only gets one or two hit markers out of numerous shots, including what seems like an initial headshot while he is prone)
    [vimeo]
  • lizzard
    985 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

You have video of this?

Yup i do.

You have a bad sense of comprehension. Read my post again, I never said a guy was in the wall. I said "Seems if you're right on the wall it sometimes makes you "part" of the wall"

So being part of a wall. Doesn't mean that you're halfway inside a wall?

In my world. If you build a wall through the center of a pillar, then the pillar become a part of the wall. And the pillar can be considered to be inside the wall!

I forgot that its impossible to have any form of productive conversation with you.
    Sorry. Wont do that mistake again.
  • VBALL_MVP
    6177 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 2017

You have video of this?

Yup i do.

In my world. If you build a wall through the center of a pillar, then the pillar become a part of the wall. And the pillar can be considered to be inside the wall!

I forgot that its impossible to have any form of productive conversation with you.

Touching a wall doesnt mean in a wall.
    Again..look at revs image it explains very well.

Let me put it in a different way....remember the indestructible branches? You can aim I'm between branches and still the shot gets absorbed by an "invisible wall". Why cause the boundaries were not exactly on the branch.

And you were not trying to have a productive conversation...you thought you were cute to ask me if I had a vid.
  • lizzard

You have video of this?

Yup i do.

Touching a wall doesnt mean in a wall.
    Again..look at revs image it explains very well.

Let me put it in a different way....remember the indestructible branches? You can aim I'm between branches and still the shot gets absorbed by an "invisible wall". Why cause the boundaries were not exactly on the branch.

And you were not trying to have a productive conversation...you thought you were cute to ask me if I had a vid.

Invisible walls is one thing. A player being absorbed by a wall or its boundaries, is strange..

Nope, I just thought you had some nice video. Of people repeatedly being protected by a wall, while partially being "inside" the wall.

Would be nice if that glitch could be solved for a future iteration of Battlefield.

But never mind. Let's end it here, before the discussion becomes toxic :neutral:
  • Astr0damus

Nope, I just thought you had some nice video. Of people repeatedly being protected by a wall, while partially being "inside" the wall.

Would be nice if that glitch could be solved for a future iteration of Battlefield.

What am I? Chopped liver?
    Astr0damus wrote: »
    Melee through wall:
    [vimeo]
  • HillbillyJohn
    510 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 2017

Melee through wall:
    [vimeo]

Wow! That's crazy! The dude in the wall that is. Guess you're not safe anywhere in this game.
  • rock1obsta
    3819 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Melee through wall:
    [vimeo]

Wow! That's crazy! The dude in the wall that is. Guess you're not safe anywhere in this game.

Tell me about it. I was bayonet charged while I was still on the spawn screen :p
  • lizzard

Melee through wall:
    [vimeo]

No Ofcorse not. It was a nice video.

I just wondered if VBALL_MVP had video of it happening In several occasions.
    He always have the netgraph on, so it would give a better idea of what's going on.
  • xXEPIcFAILXx17
    4 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    i havnt had problems modt snipers have a sweet spot for their 1 shot kills so up close is normally 2 hits unless its a head shot as for shot guns i can understand the inconcistentcy but the model 10 hunter has a tighter spread which increases its range and kill pot. At longer rangers vs another variant the may focus on closer ranger and increase its bullet spread if there was a problem in the game i wouldnt see it with the shotguns since giving them a buff or a nerf may seriosuly hurt the balance but i would prefer the support class weapons were on par with assault and medic
  • lizzard
    i havnt had problems modt snipers have a sweet spot for their 1 shot kills so up close is normally 2 hits unless its a head shot as for shot guns i can understand the inconcistentcy but the model 10 hunter has a tighter spread which increases its range and kill pot. At longer rangers vs another variant the may focus on closer ranger and increase its bullet spread if there was a problem in the game i wouldnt see it with the shotguns since giving them a buff or a nerf may seriosuly hurt the balance but i would prefer the support class weapons were on par with assault and medic

Main issue with a10 hunter. Is that the spread is mostly in a line.

One shot its a vertical line. Next its a horizontal line. And so on.
    This makes it completely random if you're going to get most part of the pellets on the target.

The pellets should always be in a somewhat circular formation (if not using a duck bill choke)

Sniper headshot and all headshots. Is suffering from inconsistencies due to the "first hit registration" where the damage output is defined by the first part the bullet hits.

A bullet that nudges a players hand for example. And then passes through the head. Will only do damage according to the hand damage model.
  • xXEPIcFAILXx17
    4 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

This makes it completely random if you're going to get most part of the pellets on the target.

The pellets should always be in a somewhat circular formation (if not using a duck bill choke)

Sniper headshot and all headshots. Is suffering from inconsistencies due to the "first hit registration" where the damage output is defined by the first part the bullet hits.

A bullet that nudges a players hand for example. And then passes through the head. Will only do damage according to the hand damage model.

I understand what your saying and i completly agree i have no arguments there
  • lizzard

I understand what your saying and i completly agree i have no arguments there

Yeah. And it's a pain in the butt to look through several wtf moment videos. And not being able to tell if its a hitreg / damage reg issue.
    Or if it's the strange spread?
    Or a slight desync of the playermodel that creates the persived hitreg issue.

Those mechanics have started to enoy me to the degree, where im not able to play bf1 any longer.

Im cautiously waiting and hoping for some form of change....
  • VBALL_MVP
    Possible hit detection issue?
    (first target seems fine since it is farther, but second target only gets one or two hit markers out of numerous shots, including what seems like an initial headshot while he is prone)
    [vimeo]

In the video there is some teleporting with one of your blueberries suggesting there may be some issues with the network or the server, too bad you didn't have the netgraph on.

Also it would be more beneficial if you used the video capture feature on the console, you will get better quality videos.