100% GPU usage

chaoskiller07
11 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
Not sure when this started but I know its been a common problem with a lot of people with various rigs mid to high end. My GPU usage wont stay up, it fluctuates all over and as low as 50% sometimes. This is causing crappy fps drops down in the 40's sometimes when normal use to be 90-100. I'm running high settings with a gtx970, i5 6600k slightly oced to 4ghz, and 16gb of ram. I have tried lowering settings and doesn't make things any better. Also disabled origin in game as well as shadow overlay and neither of those had any effect. Is there anything else I can try or am i stuck with this crappy performance until the next patch maybe? Ive attached a picture of the graph from afterburner where you can clearly see the gpu usage not stable. Let me know what yall think or what I can possibly do.

Desktop%2008.12.2017%20-%2016.12.39.01_zps91c7ms46.png

Comments

• BigF33t_13
    5599 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    That's been an issue, especially with the i5's. There's a whole host of things you can try. Capping frame rates has worked for some.

Here's a link to a thread search. https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/search?Search=100%25+cpu You can dig around there. I don't think a patch will fix it. There's been a half dozen patches.
  • prawns1000
    Ram useage, GPU core speed both take a dive together correlating with your main FPS drop? I have no idea but to say maybe thermal throttling on the graphics card? but that doesnt explain the memory (the card did underclock its speed and memory speed on the worst spike as well tho which also show slight heat jumps -
    which kinda leans to thermal thottling? capping your fps as mentioned may help reduce load and heat)
    no idea to be honest but its where id start looking if it was mine. run your graphics fans on 100% in game with a fps cap and see how u go
  • chaoskiller07
    prawns1000 wrote: »
    Ram useage, GPU core speed both take a dive together correlating with your main FPS drop? I have no idea but to say maybe thermal throttling on the graphics card? but that doesnt explain the memory (the card did underclock its speed and memory speed on the worst spike as well tho which also show slight heat jumps -
    which kinda leans to thermal thottling? capping your fps as mentioned may help reduce load and heat)
    no idea to be honest but its where id start looking if it was mine. run your graphics fans on 100% in game with a fps cap and see how u go

Those worst spikes towards the beginning and end of the graph are from alt-tabbing out of the game. Everything such as memory and gpu core speed are staying consistent during game play as well as temperature. This card has always ran around 60C give or take and from my understanding that is not close to its thermal limit so I am not so sure about your theory.
  • chaoskiller07
    BigF33t_13 wrote: »
    That's been an issue, especially with the i5's. There's a whole host of things you can try. Capping frame rates has worked for some.

Here's a link to a thread search. https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/search?Search=100%25+cpu You can dig around there. I don't think a patch will fix it. There's been a half dozen patches.

Is there any difference in capping the frame rate in the game settings vs a cfg file that I see people speaking of?
  • prawns1000
    edited August 12
    my theory held but is explained by your alt tabbing (just a fyi my 1080ti nvidia card starts refusing to turbo boost at around 55degrees and upwards..could it be your turbo boost on your card kicking out if yours does it too?)
  • chaoskiller07
    Here are the results of fps capped at 60, steady as can be, no drops other than when alt-tabbing out. CPU usage is no longer maxed out but still not getting 100% GPU either. Temps did come down a little but I wasn't concerned about them, I didnt think 60C was bad but maybe I am wrong? I wonder if I can push the graphics settings up and leave the fps capped for better visual quality?

Desktop%2008.12.2017%20-%2017.31.58.02_zps2ikgacmi.png
  • BigF33t_13
    5599 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    BigF33t_13 wrote: »

Is there any difference in capping the frame rate in the game settings vs a cfg file that I see people speaking of?

No. The only difference is you can cap it to whatever you want with a cfg file. You're a bit limited in game. But it works the same.
  • St0n3ymontana
    1331 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Enable DX12. You're welcome.
  • Forkbeard84
    1206 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited August 13
    Solution: Get a ps4 and never worry about this crasp again. :-)

Truth.
  • Jinko_itx
    279 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    that graph is actually normal, if you think you can overclock your cpu alittle more, then you will see more gpu usage, otherwise do what FuhQnDie said and enable DX12, it will lower your cpu usage.
  • Jinko_itx
    279 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited August 13
    btw, how much ram you have? nvm I see....what version of windows you have?
  • chaoskiller07
    btw, how much ram you have? nvm I see....what version of windows you have?

Windows 10
  • F1aw1ess
    661 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited August 13
    Here are the results of fps capped at 60, steady as can be, no drops other than when alt-tabbing out. CPU usage is no longer maxed out but still not getting 100% GPU either. Temps did come down a little but I wasn't concerned about them, I didnt think 60C was bad but maybe I am wrong? I wonder if I can push the graphics settings up and leave the fps capped for better visual quality?

Desktop%2008.12.2017%20-%2017.31.58.02_zps2ikgacmi.png

This is the perfect graph if you are happy with the fps, not stressing everything to 100% and leaving a little headroom for crazy situations so you dont feel any slow downs and maintain your FPS. Its exactly how mine looks only mine is at 120fps.

Personally I'd try the cap at 90fps, its a much smoother experience but not sure if your CPU might start maxing out again, trial and error, also try DX12 as someone else has said as it does take a little load off the CPU and might help you maintain 90fps.

If your happy with 60fps and want your GPU to max out just up the settings/resolution scale.
  • B0ng0_Banger
    795 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I sometimes have the same problem and have tried everything but it's nothing to do with my pc. it seems to happen totally randomly. just hope the devs acknowledge the problem and fix it because it's starting to get annoying.
  • chaoskiller07
    Guess i'm gonna run things like this for now, capping the fps seemed to do the trick. I may look into capping it a little higher with a cfg file. Thanks for the help guys.
  • BigF33t_13
    Guess i'm gonna run things like this for now, capping the fps seemed to do the trick. I may look into capping it a little higher with a cfg file. Thanks for the help guys.

That's what I ended up doing. I can cap mine as high as 85.
  • flep
    11 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member