Team Balancing Thread

TickTak77
4695 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
Yet another night ruined by awful team balancing throwing lopsided teams into rounds as they start, and not balancing them until the match is effectively over as a fair contest.

Has anyone from DICE spoken on this issue? It's beyond ridiculous how many matches/servers this is costing us

Comments

• Iamaforkead
    483 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    TickTak77 wrote: »
    Yet another night ruined by awful team balancing throwing lopsided teams into rounds as they start, and not balancing them until the match is effectively over as a fair contest.

Has anyone from DICE spoken on this issue? It's beyond ridiculous how many matches/servers this is costing us

They know and they do not care.
    Nothing in Tsar about balancing game.

You do not need to be very intelligent to know what the problem is..
    The behemoths arrive at the 720-850 score mark, enemies score.

Or they give you a flamer kit as a juggernaut on the sinai map or
    some ridiculous crap like that.

When everyone gets so sick of game, getting close now.
    the new arrival of the next instalment will be coming.

They really do not play the game, only on friday nites.
    and I bet console aim assist grunts.

• Airborne_Creed17
    191 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I was about to make a thread on this, but didn't want the backlash lmfao. But no. I haven't heard anything. And it's getting ridiculous. Just won by 750 points on conquest
  • TickTak77
    4695 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I was about to make a thread on this, but didn't want the backlash lmfao. But no. I haven't heard anything. And it's getting ridiculous. Just won by 750 points on conquest

It's at the stage where ppl who choose to ignore / discredit how big an issue it Is, are the ones that get ridiculed on here.

Just had another round on Argonne - other team had the train come in before they even hit 150 points.

It's pathetic, quite frankly
  • FreMo1974
    24 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I have the same problem, I see many players switching to the winning team or leaving the game.
  • olavafar
    2261 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I think this is mostly because of team switchers and quitters. There are some other things one could change too that I have mentioned before but those are the main ones. Stop team switching to winning team and count quit as a loss and this would become a much smaller issue. I have not either heard anything about this from DICE though.
  • Airborne_Creed17
    191 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    TickTak77 wrote: »

It's at the stage where ppl who choose to ignore / discredit how big an issue it Is, are the ones that get ridiculed on here.

Just had another round on Argonne - other team had the train come in before they even hit 150 points.

It's pathetic, quite frankly

We may get have been in the same game lol. Played a match on Argonne and same thing. It was 32-19 players. It really is a game breaker. I'm trying to convince my friend that this game is good, and fun.
    It's making it hard
  • NoobikCZE
    40 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    olavafar wrote: »
    I think this is mostly because of team switchers and quitters. There are some other things one could change too that I have mentioned before but those are the main ones. Stop team switching to winning team and count quit as a loss and this would become a much smaller issue. I have not either heard anything about this from DICE though.

Totally disagree. If you start a new round and you see enemy side has bunch of high level players, including couple of lvl110 and you have mostly starter levels in your team, there must be something wrong with matchmaking / team balancing. Of course after 5mins, when enemy took all flags on the battlefield, people will start leaving or trying to switch sides, but main cause is unbalanced game.
  • olavafar
    2261 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 2017
    @NoobikCZE I don't disagree totally with you. Also beginning of matches can be unbalanced sometimes and this is a factor (mostly this is solved by the time people have written the obligatory 'nice balance DICE' in the chat as players leave and join at the start of a round). I do not think it is the main one, and certainly not one that is very easy to address for a number of reasons, but I have addressed possible solutions to that part too as have others. It is the minutes after, when people start quitting and switching that, according to me, really makes it unbalanced. It all becomes sort of self fulfilling. This is bad enough in Conquest but even worse in Rush and Frontlines (I do not play much of the other game modes).
  • Kabanyash_
    251 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited August 2017
    Just won by 750 points on conquest
    Was it because of numbers or idiocy of the other team? If the latter it is not a simple "balancing" issue. I thought about this in the past and couldn't come up with the way to spread PTFO-ers evenly between the teams, because this is what essentially causing all the problems. I can't be the only one who played "fair and square" game of 32v32 and on any flag at any time the enemy seems to have 5x amount of bodies.
    Frontlines highlighted this for me even more as I've never played the mode before the mission. It is so simplified that even a 7yo kid would get what you need to do (not that the multiple flag capturing and defending concept is hard to grasp either), but at times you can be the only one on the flag, where are the other 15 players then? And how can you possibly balance this?
  • disposalist
    8956 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    1) Skill balancing is extremely difficult. Though I think DICE's method of skill balancing is not great, I'm sure I would have a terrible time coming up with anything better.

2) IMHO something is intrinsically tricky/wrong with the game joining code. It seems players are allocated to teams based on having been there at the end of the last game or having pressed Join for the server. All of those people could take ages to turn up or not turn up at all and the game starts with horribly allocated teams. Players should be allocated to teams as they *finish* loading into the game.

3) People can switch to the bigger/winning team. This is totally insane.

4) There is no mid-game balancing. Forced switching is contraversial, but some method of easy/incentivised switching could be used or even just adjust the spawn times so that, even if numbers are uneven, teams will end up with the same numbers in the map

5) There is no transparency. People see that they are 50 points down and they have 5 less players and they leave making things worse. Had they know that 5 players were incoming within the next 20 seconds, they might not leave.

6) Random squads need to be split up between games. I understand that some might be having fun with the guys they just played with, but that doesn't trump the need for a balanced game. Squads have got to be making skill balancing near impossible. Even balancing the numbers would be difficult.

7) You cannot balance for people doing weird (non-PTFO) stuff. Skill balance might be technically good. Numbers might be good. Balance can still be skewed by a few players 'being weird' that game.

8) The behemoths are supposed to mitigate when balance goes wrong, but they aren't tough enough. Behemoths could be tougher, but maybe additional measures could be used: Maybe spawn times should be adjusted to compensate imbalanced scores even when teams are supposedly otherwise 'balanced'.
  • Private_UMPalot
    4234 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    It's the main reason I play less, it's always been bad in Battlefield, but never this bad.

I don't think they can do anything about it, or they would have by now.
  • disposalist
    8956 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    It's the main reason I play less, it's always been bad in Battlefield, but never this bad.

I don't think they can do anything about it, or they would have by now.
    I do think it is better in BF1 then it was in BF4, but there are some obvious ways they could improve it and just... don't. Very frustrating.
  • Private_UMPalot
    4234 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I do think it is better in BF1 then it was in BF4,

I don't know about that, I cannot remember me jumping from server to server in BF4 looking for a close round. I used to stay in one server for a whole session in BF4, not in BF1. The amount of servers I go through where one team has all flags is ridiculous.

I'd rather have one close game of BF1 in my gaming session, than 5 steamrolls either way.
  • Kabanyash_
    251 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited August 2017
    For me it is the quite opposite - BF4 was much better in terms of close, interesting and "competitive" rounds if I remember correctly.
    Post edited by Kabanyash_ on
  • TickTak77
    1) Skill balancing is extremely difficult.

A good place to start with skill balancing, is making sure both teams have the same number of players at the beginning of a round.

60 players in a server? Everyone in this thread knows 100% of the time the next match isn't starting 30 vs 30.

Even if you get a few skilled players all on one team, balanced teams can at least combat that issue.

Right now, it's lopsided teams with skilled players ending up on the larger team.

What the hell is that?
  • aseveredfoot
    2467 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    It is really bad lately.

I'll join a server and find myself on the team with 0 flags, 200 points behind, behemoth at spawn, half dead and everyone is playing scout, hanging back whatever distance it their rifle's sweet spot from the flags. It's not enjoyable to be on either side of that.

And it's pretty often a match will start off 32v26 and take forever to get balanced out, and that always makes for the start of a steam roll which lasts the whole game no matter what happens.

Add to that the CQ scoring system which scarcely allows for comebacks and I think it only exacerbates the steam rolls via people not being able to handle a loss, team switching to the winning team somehow, or just quitting out to find a better server, since they know they can't turn it around.

I'm just not sure what metric would be good to use to help fix it.
  • canon35mm
    236 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    The balance issue of a lot of high level players coming in is probably caused by platoons or groups of people who play together on a regular basis coming into a server against a group of randoms. Some groups will split up and even things out and other groups prefer to stay together. The game is set up to encourage team work and getting together into platoons. I think its more fun to play with a group chatting and having fun than playing alone. Dice even addressed the issue in patch notes a while back saying that people in platoons tend to play better so as they said 'if you aren't in a platoon yet, time to join one'
  • TickTak77
    canon35mm wrote: »
    The balance issue of a lot of high level players coming in is probably caused by platoons or groups of people who play together on a regular basis coming into a server against a group of randoms. Some groups will split up and even things out and other groups prefer to stay together. The game is set up to encourage team work and getting together into platoons. I think its more fun to play with a group chatting and having fun than playing alone. Dice even addressed the issue in patch notes a while back saying that people in platoons tend to play better so as they said 'if you aren't in a platoon yet, time to join one'

**A platoon of 5 people enter a server**

**They take up a full squad on one team**

**Game moves 5 randoms not playing together onto the other team**

OR

**Game moves combination of 3 friends + 2 friends onto the other team**

OR

**Game moves combination of 3 friends + 2 randoms onto the other**

OR

**Game moves 4 friends playing together + 1 random onto the other team**

The solutions are limitless. As it stands right now, squads join, and they end up on the team that has more players already. So in a match that has 25 vs 20, a 5-man squad is put on the 25 man squad.

Now you are starting a round of Suez 30 vs 20, have lost the C-flag and are struggling to hold onto your home caps, lose your caps, and people leave. 30 vs 18? 15?

Forget that - that's when you shut it down and get off for the night, annoyed at the incompetence of this game's matchmaking and team balancing.
  • Fhurstinator
    146 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited August 2017
    If someone can tell how i can upload photos from my phone i will edit this post and up load the photo please.

Edi: Nvm cant make it work through my phone. Was gonna post a round from Amiens conquest where we won 1000-162
    Post edited by Fhurstinator on
  • TickTak77
    If someone can tell how i can upload photos from my phone i will edit this post and up load the photo please.

Upload the photo to an image hosting site, like Imgur (can probably do it from the app on your phone).

Then share the photo link here, or click ADD IMAGE in the text box