Thoughts on Issues regarding stealing enemy armor etc.

NoBanMePLS
524 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
Most good battlefielders will agree stealing a enemy tank is incredibly fun. Nothing better than a driver getting out to kill you and you punishing him by taking his own tank, especially when it leads to something like this http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/battlereport/show/1/751235235155600000/996886928/.

However I have a concern with the animations making it harder/impossible to steal a tank. If I am on a enemy flag and a tank driver gets out and I go to get in the tank and get killed in the animation I would be kinda sad. Hopefully they shorten the animation. Just my 2 cents.

Comments

• rock1obsta
    3803 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Or make it so you're invulnerable after a certain point in the animation, kinda like when shooting an enemy thats more than halfway through taking a teammates tags.
  • NoBanMePLS
    524 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    rock1obsta wrote: »
    Or make it so you're invulnerable after a certain point in the animation, kinda like when shooting an enemy thats more than halfway through taking a teammates tags.

That could work. I like the animation idea but don't like the thought of not being able to punish greedy tank drivers.

On a side note If I start as a recon and get in a tank does that get rid of my weapons?
  • Peccath
    618 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Maybe it's just a good thing that it's harder to do? Makes it more challenging and fun when you manage to pull it off.
  • rock1obsta
    3803 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    NoBanMePLS wrote: »
    rock1obsta wrote: »

That could work. I like the animation idea but don't like the thought of not being able to punish greedy tank drivers.

On a side note If I start as a recon and get in a tank does that get rid of my weapons?

That, I dont know. Someone else probably knows and will post an answer on this topic.
    Im gonna hafta watch some YouTube vids and see what this animation looks like, I have yet to see it.
  • B3ANTOWN__B3A5T
    4364 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I've watched hours of gameplay and have yet to see someone get killed during the animation or get a kill on someone locked into the animation. I don't think it'll be very prevalent at all
  • KingTolapsium
    5491 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Maybe the repair functions should be blocked in an enemy vehicle (you can steal it, but you can't keep it maintained as it's foreign technology).
  • sohiieee
    452 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Maybe the repair functions should be blocked in an enemy vehicle (you can steal it, but you can't keep it maintained as it's foreign technology).

That's the dumbest idea I've heard and this place is full of bad ideas. If you bail and the enemy takes your tank you and your team should be punished for it. What is up with all these gameplay mechanics that doesn't punish mistakes and doesn't reward ingenuity. The whole point of multiplayer games is to see who beats who. Not this everyone wins for participating **** dice wants to push.

• Thumper2671
    463 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I've watched hours of gameplay and have yet to see someone get killed during the animation or get a kill on someone locked into the animation. I don't think it'll be very prevalent at all

I've been killed by someone while I was entering the Armored Car.
  • owltro
    3356 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited July 2016

I've been killed by someone while I was entering the Armored Car.
    He said won't be very prevalent. Doesn't mean it won't happen.
  • KingTolapsium
    5491 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

That's the dumbest idea I've heard and this place is full of bad ideas. If you bail and the enemy takes your tank you and your team should be punished for it. What is up with all these gameplay mechanics that doesn't punish mistakes and doesn't reward ingenuity. The whole point of multiplayer games is to see who beats who. Not this everyone wins for participating **** dice wants to push.

One team taking enemy armor heavily unbalanced a round.

Why should the while team.be punished for one dumb move someone made in a state of panic?

It's not a dumb idea, it's a balanced idea. Not everything needs to help make your team OP. We've had enough avalanche victories in bf4 for the next 3 titles in the main series.

That horrible mistress fairness, always trying to punish our skilled veterans lol.
  • owltro
    3356 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

We've had enough avalanche victories in bf4 for the next 3 titles in the main series.
    If you think BF4's bad, I'm not even gonna mention Hardline... ;)
  • KingTolapsium
    owltro wrote: »

We've had enough avalanche victories in bf4 for the next 3 titles in the main series.
    If you think BF4's bad, I'm not even gonna mention Hardline... ;)

MAIN SERIES! lol

That being said.... I know what you mean, hardline had some serious balance issues.
  • sohiieee
    edited July 2016

Why should the while team.be punished for one dumb move someone made in a state of panic?

It's not a dumb idea, it's a balanced idea. Not everything needs to help make your team OP. We've had enough avalanche victories in bf4 for the next 3 titles in the main series.

That horrible mistress fairness, always trying to punish our skilled veterans lol.

Then people will never learn if mistakes go unpunished due to artificial handicaps coded into the game. The only way people learn is to punish mistakes and reward cleverness. There is nothing balanced about rewarding stupidity.
  • MarxistDictator
    4875 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 2016

The team isn't OP for taking a vehicle from some dingus, and since when was a stolen vehicle invincible to harm? Oh wait, I need to put my bad player brain storming cap on and think of reasons to call it bad 'design' instead of bad players.

Instead of overcoming a bad hand, you whine that those cards are even in the deck. Absolutely pathetic. Stop playing multiplayer games if you can't handle the notion of losing.
  • sohiieee
    edited July 2016

The team isn't OP for taking a vehicle from some dingus, and since when was a stolen vehicle invincible to harm? Oh wait, I need to put my bad player brain storming cap on and think of reasons to call it bad 'design' instead of bad players.

Instead of overcoming a bad hand, you whine that those cards are even in the deck. Absolutely pathetic. Stop playing multiplayer games if you can't handle the notion of losing.

This entire game seems to revolve around rewarding bad players. If you thought the ac130 was annoying in bf4 just look forward to the zeppelin which is going to be 10x worse and automatically given to the losing team. Which seems counter intuitive since kills no longer count towards ticket bleeds and having less bodies on the flags and up in the air will make it even harder to turn things around.

I don't know what dice is doing with this franchise but it definitely is on the verge of failing like medal of honor. Look at the consecutive flops from ea - hardline, battlefront and possibly bf1. Main reasons being all three being set in a niche settings with limited replayability and targeting the casual audience. Not even casual gamers like casual games for very long. They will play it for a month or two and then bail. Competitive games retains long term players and brings new players in. But since ea is seemingly annualizing this franchise (bf 2017 incoming) they don't appear to care either.

• KingTolapsium

Then people will never learn if mistakes go unpunished due to artificial handicaps coded into the game. The only way people learn is to punish mistakes and reward cleverness. There is nothing balanced about rewarding stupidity.

People won't learn from their mistakes if we don't punish them...

Do you beat a dog until it has learned to roll over? Do you starve a blind man until he can tell you what the clouds look like?

You teach positive behaviour, and reward it. Punishing negative behaviour doesn't teach anything, it only imparts negativity.

This isn't dark souls.
  • KingTolapsium

Oh no, I'm trying to remove the hugely negative impact of an ignorant tank driver bailing incorrectly, not cripple your tactics.

I want fair, balanced rounds. Public rounds hold players of all skills, tanks/helis/boats get turned over all the time in bf4. And normally that just leads to avalanche victories. That's not balanced btw.

Most of our veterans just want to team switch and have a cake walk following other skilled players. (I'm not impressed by the "skill" it takes to exploit the game).

That's removing the challenge from the game.

Challenge is good, even for you veterans that hate change.
  • NoBanMePLS
    edited July 2016

People won't learn from their mistakes if we don't punish them...

Do you beat a dog until it has learned to roll over? Do you starve a blind man until he can tell you what the clouds look like?

You teach positive behaviour, and reward it. Punishing negative behaviour doesn't teach anything, it only imparts negativity.

This isn't dark souls.

You obviously don't know how to teach. You do not reinforce negative behavior by letting them get their vehicles back easily. You reinforce teaching them to not bail by letting the other team use it and them getting killed by the vehicle they lost will teach them not to do it again.

Edit: You don't give the dog a treat for not rolling over you just keep trying to teach him. The same as you don't give a kid a cookie if he gets bad grades. THAT REINFORCES NEGATIVE behavior. They need to learn that they need to get good grades to get that cookie just like they need to learn not to get out of the tank if they don't want to be killed by it.
  • B3ANTOWN__B3A5T
    4364 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    There's seriously nothing better than stealing an enemy tank and destroying them with it.
  • Metallicat95
    218 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    NoBanMePLS wrote: »
    Most good battlefielders will agree stealing a enemy tank is incredibly fun. Nothing better than a driver getting out to kill you and you punishing him by taking his own tank, especially when it leads to something like this http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/battlereport/show/1/751235235155600000/996886928/.

However I have a concern with the animations making it harder/impossible to steal a tank. If I am on a enemy flag and a tank driver gets out and I go to get in the tank and get killed in the animation I would be kinda sad. Hopefully they shorten the animation. Just my 2 cents.

Kill the driver first, then take the tank?

Note that the driver should never abandon the tank to take out an enemy outside of it as a tactical matter. If I'm abandoning my tank, I probably will also drop a AT grenade on it to finish it off and take out any enemies in the area, then try to get away and shoot. Tank driver is kind of like a ship captain, and should go down with the tank.

Let's look at some fun situations, though, where the tank crew might leave it.

At a distance from enemies, you might abandon the vehicle to get the enemy to quit shooting it, so you can fix it later. Once empty, it no longer shows up as an enemy vehicle. It can be destroyed, but a smart enemy may leave your disabled tank there. Why? It won't respawn for your team if it is in a field, abandoned and disabled. Blow it up, and your team gets to use it again in a while. The latter is why I drop my own grenades on my tank if I don't think I can fix it myself.

You can hide behind your tank and fix it. The tank will protect you from small arms fire. That does nothing to protect the tank if they try to shoot it, but you might get a little time to let it recover. If you have other friendlies in the area, this can work even better.

Tank gets stuck. Yes, this can happen, rough and broken terrain, going in ditches, over walls, etc. Get out and grab a convenient armored car and give the thing a push. Still, best to stay in and ask for help, but sometimes there isn't any handy.

You're much less likely to be able to steal any tank other than the light tank, because of the extra crew. Gunner will stay in, even when the driver gets out, so you can't get in to steal it. If they all bail, more likely that someone will finish the thing off too, and you can't steal a dead tank.

BF1 adds one more thing to make stealing harder to pull off. Only Tanker and Pilot players (who spawned in those vehicles) can self repair (at least so far in the Alpha it works like that). You can go ahead and take it, but you can't fix it from the inside. There is supposed to be a repair tool gadget available, but if it can only work from the outside, it would be harder to drive around and engage in combat like the actual driver classes do, and fix it on the fly.

Vehicles in BF1 do not self repair, so if they were abandoned disabled, they will stay that way. I stole planes and tanks in the BF1 Alpha, and you just don't get nearly as much of a run out of one which can't recover from any damage taken, especially if it was already hurt. A tank with the engine disabled isn't very good as a tank, but you still could get in and use the guns until someone takes it out.

Still, even if you can't make good use of it, neither can the enemy team. As long as you have it they don't get a replacement back at base.