Battlefield 2018

Comments

• DerLokator
    181 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited August 2017
    Sorry, I was hyped :D - Nobody confirmed it, it's just Battlefield 1 Design, he works for BF1 and that gives me hope, that we get a WW2 setting. Because the weapon was made and used in WW2. Yes, could even be Vietnam, like the SMLE MKIII was also used after WWI, but mainly it is a WW2 weapon.

All the weapons there (http://peterhermanrud.com/portfolio.html) have been used for Battlefield games and he also posted there the granade launcher from December Update way before it was confirmed. So I would bet, that this is also a weapon design for a BF game in developement. It is more possible for me, that he did this for job, as he would find time to make it just for fun.
  • Blazcowitz43
    22 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Personally, I think that if they're doing WWII, the assault class should have semi-auto rifles and medics should have SMGs and carbines. Or maybe they can go back to the old class system. Also, if they do WWII, I'll be excited to use the M1 Garand. Also, yes to the tanks. I love Shermans.

I think splitting semi auto rifles and carbines wouldn't work because it would muddy the classes. In Bf4 I at first thought it was good that carbines and shotguns were all kit weapons but after a while I realized it encouraged people to play outside their class role (recons playing like assault and support not giving suppressing fire). One thing I really liked about hardline was that it was more class focused with only a few all kit weapons top mix things up a bit but without interfering with the class roles too much.

I guess they could add the different models such as the standard M1 Carbine and the M2 automatic version, which could mean they could continue the class and weapon layout like the BF1 M1907 SL

Example:

M1 Carbine factory (Standard fifteen rounds, semiauto). Low recoil, decent range accuracy

M2 Carbine Sweeper (Thirty rounds, full auto) High recoil, short range accuracy.

• ShintyShinto
    52 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    So I think it'll be one of three things:

• Battlefield: 1939-44
    • Battlefield 5
    • Battlefield: Bad Company 3

I think if it's a WW2 game then they'll have a big surprise DLC that's set in the Vietnam war. Battlefield 5 will of course be like any other modern BF game. And Bad Company 3 would be a great opportunity to bring some life back into the BF campaigns – but I'm not sure if they had enough development time to do this.

Something totally unique:

• Battlefield: Dinosaurs (I'm not good with names)

• Battlefield: Apocalypse (zombies)

• Battlefield with a fantasy twist. That opens up for so much creative freedom, it's unbelievable. They could do a dark and gothic fantasy setting, or the polar opposite!

I've heard some people asking for a futuristic BF game and I honestly think that's a great idea, so long as they keep it boots on the ground.

Also, did anyone else here think that the Russo-Japanese War would've been a great setting for some maps in the Russian DLC for BF1? With it we would've seen Japanese soldiers, which could've made up for the six-month wait!

I'm extremely excited to see what we get, but for now, let's wreak havoc on BF1!
  • ShintyShinto
    52 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Maybe we could see this as a small, free Battlefield game. Or it could be included in a BF game set across multiple centuries – picture Battlefield: Time Splitters, lol.

But I don't think we'll get one as a standalone, full-price game, as much as I'd like it to have that treatment.
  • HANSGRUBER30
    3090 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 2017
    With the PPSH-41 it could be anywhere from WW2 to even up too day really, some were captured in Afghanistan and Iraq so probably a good weapon to keep us guessing on what the next game setting is.

But fingers crossed for WW2 but wouldn't be upset about a game set in Korea or Vietnam either.
  • SlugSniper
    1024 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I keep rearranging gadgets and adding new ones to better fit class roles.

Rifleman - Keeping the team up and running and providing support; the backbone of any force
    Skirmisher - Getting in close and harassing the enemy or storming a fortification; the aggressive power
    Guard - Securing and holding positions while keeping teammates supplied; the defensive power
    Scout - The special forces of the team, providing intel or going behind enemy lines, picking off priority targets
    Cavalry - The elite offense of any army, breaking and scattering enemy troops

Any other 19th Century gadget ideas? Maybe even another class?
  • Skains457
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited September 2017
    I think it would be pretty cool if they went back to modern and fixed the mistakes they had with BF4, possibly a WW3 scenario where the US gets invaded and there's wars on US soil, probably different maps aimed for different vehicles to excel in. A map with so many buildings that a jet is basically useless and only meant for dogfighting like "Dawnbreaker" or a map that completely focuses on jets like taking place near the Interstate 5 freeway in central California where it's nothing but farmland around so jets can really excel in air strikes and have wide open dogfights in different areas of the map where stingers/Iglas are unreachable giving jets a chance to recover away from the battle which would be focused on the freeway, it's just a thought I really like to fly so that's why I thought of this
  • Seanak23
    95 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited September 2017
    Operation unthinkable, Churchill's plan for war between the allied UK, US and west Germans against the USSR. This was to take place directly after WW2 and I think it could make a great battlefield game since it would be set in the late 40s and 50s where no other battlefield has been set and honestly I can't think of any FPS war game set in the 50s. There are plenty of weapons and vehicles from this time that we've never seen in a battlefield game (or any game). It would also be nice to give weapons like the FN FAL, AK-47, M14 and maybe even the M16 (although it would only be a prototype in the 50s) The limelight for once since these are amazing iconic weapons but for some reason almost every FPS game i've played that include them choose to make them pretty meh guns (even if the games set in their glory days) so they can make some M4 rip off the best gun *cough* COD black ops *cough*.

Because this is a made up war but with a real setting and context I think the developers would have a lot of freedom in what they can create in terms of story and the maps that could be made. I mean some of the maps could be really cool such as fighting through the burning streets of London, trying to reclaim it after a Soviet invasion forced the allies out Britain or literally anything the devs think of that fits within the theme.
  • xBCxSEALxTEAMx6
    1492 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited September 2017
    Modern War is done, and i'm def glad about that. We've been inundated with that for more than a decade, and if i have to shoot another Scar H i'm going to absolutely puke (and this coming from a Seal lol).

I don't see them going to WW2, because this game really is a WW2 game (it's not WW1 in any sense or measure really, except the skins)), and you'd be dealing with the same gameplay, same relative factions and terrain, and for the most part the same game.

Sci fi is def out, given Battlefront 2 and their Titanfall series.

I think it's a safe bet they're going to Vietnam, where they could go back to helicopters and al the rest, while getting into a new genre not really touched much, at least on consoles.

Not to mention, being i see DICE willing to deal with an "era" (now with the Russian Civil War), it's quite possible the next title can be BF Cold War, where they can dwell into the Korean War as well (particularly in what's going on now with them), and that 50's and 60's era as a whole.
  • Zooboid
    926 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Korea would be my preference. I'm happy to wait until 2019 or 2020 even and let BF1 mature properly.
  • jdbelcher1998
    587 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Stick with me here: I would like to see a "Battlefield: Medal of Honor" game...essentially transplanting the former Medal of Honor series that last was being run by Danger Close (now DICE LA) onto the Battlefield franchise, but returning to its roots as an in-depth WWII shooter. I mean, when Danger Close released "Medal of Honor" (2010) they essentially did the singleplayer and DICE (then only in Stockholm) did the multiplayer, so this kind of work has precedent. Now that Danger Close is DICE LA and DICE LA are the ones rumored to be working on the next title, wouldn't it be cool to see new life given to their once great franchise again? Obviously DICE could just do a "Battlefield 2" game, but I would personally love to see the Speilberg-inspired story, with music from Michael Giacchino, and that rugged and robust singleplayer MoH was known for tied closely with a great multiplayer WWII shooter. That would be epic.

I like the idea of the Korean War, but because it is so tightly related to the aftermath of WWII, it makes more sense to make it a sequel to a solid WWII game in my opinion. The idea for an Operation Unthinkable @Seanak23 is also a fantastic idea.
  • xBCxSEALxTEAMx6
    Stick with me here: I would like to see a "Battlefield: Medal of Honor" game...essentially transplanting the former Medal of Honor series that last was being run by Danger Close (now DICE LA) onto the Battlefield franchise, but returning to its roots as an in-depth WWII shooter. I mean, when Danger Close released "Medal of Honor" (2010) they essentially did the singleplayer and DICE (then only in Stockholm) did the multiplayer, so this kind of work has precedent. Now that Danger Close is DICE LA and DICE LA are the ones rumored to be working on the next title, wouldn't it be cool to see new life given to their once great franchise again? Obviously DICE could just do a "Battlefield 2" game, but I would personally love to see the Speilberg-inspired story, with music from Michael Giacchino, and that rugged and robust singleplayer MoH was known for tied closely with a great multiplayer WWII shooter. That would be epic.

I like the idea of the Korean War, but because it is so tightly related to the aftermath of WWII, it makes more sense to make it a sequel to a solid WWII game in my opinion. The idea for an Operation Unthinkable @Seanak23 is also a fantastic idea.

Well, i'm going to be honest, and it's only just my opinion, but i'd dump Dice LA. It's almost surreal to me, that the same problems that plagued, and eventually ended MOH, we're seeing on this game again, with the high damage ratio's, COD like play, very slow respawns, and therefore promoting a camping sniping like game.

The slow clunky movements of the campaign, and a campaign just as linear.

I was on their forums at the time and very active about this matter, and it's amazing back then, we heard the same excuses. "Use the smoke, adapt, learn the maps" etc et al, in todays terms, "git gud'. I just don't see that as working very well, not now, as it obviously did not then, and eventually the series went belly up.

So, personally if i were them, i'd make some big changes, in the least, coming out with some new modes, a "Conquest Classic" that can quicken respawn to half of what it is, buff the damage by half, and go back to 24 or 32 player matches (all of these are in the current settings). The BF many of us on consoles are accustomed too.

Instead of playing this game of whack a mole, buffing this, nerfing that, and coming out with new problems in trying to solve old ones.

It just doesn't seem to make sense, being folks seem to want EVERYTHING nerfed, from snipers, to tanks, to planes, to shotguns, to hellriegles, to gas grendades, to all grenades, to rifles, to automatico, martinis, to aim assist, to pretty much the whole damn game.

And they're all right. And so, a new mode in what i explained would solve the biggest problem, if you compound all that, of utter frustration with the game, as it was with MOH.

Saying that, i've been at gaming since the 70's, but MOH was the game that REALLY got me into gaming, back on PS1.

That launched me into all this, and i would say, if they can bring back Dreamworks Interactive to launch a new MOH, that would be the ultimate, b/c with them, you get the classic musical scores, the best campaigns (Dreamworks is in the movie business) and all the best they have to offer.

But as i said, this game is for the most part WW2, and after a year of COD compounded with this, i just don't think DICE is going the WW2 direction, as they may a Cold War scenario, with Korea, Vietnam, Cuba, Soviets, that whole 50's and 60's lot .
  • jdbelcher1998
    587 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Thanks for the response. I agree with much of what you said. Just to clarify: I am specifically interested in a return to the roots of MoH—prior to what Danger Close did with the 2010 version, which was a massive overhaul of the original series. That said, the linear aspect of the singleplayer has been a big problem for the series as a whole, so you're definitely right on about that. I'd like to see something like MoH: Airborne (in terms of a more open-ended singleplayer). That game looked awesome on Unreal 3 and, like others, I think WWII in Frostbite would be pretty fantastic. But, with DICE we know we're going to get great visuals, great sound, interesting art concepts as a whole; the real question is whether they can begin to improve gameplay. So I'm with you.
  • Press-2-Continue
    353 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    S0noran wrote: »
    Well, after playing Battlefield 1 I think the franchise did well in getting back into the past, but the theme does not really excite so much, I feel bored with the game, what really seduces gamers is the modern war but not the futuristic.
    It made me wonder how good it would be for a new battlefield to be focused on the modern era but not this BF4 high tech war
    The new battlefield should focus on the Cold War era, 80's 90's, when a huge amount of conflict took over the world.
    It should be divided into several environments such as conflicts in Africa, the Middle East and Europe.
    It is a historical way of reporting these conflicts in a modern language, Angola, Yugoslavia, Gulf War, Afghanistan.

Speak for yourself not the whole collective of gamer's. You don't know what excites me as I don't know what excites you so don't assume you speak for all of us.

I prefer the WW1/2 settings compared to present day settings due to the limited weapons and gadgets etc. Yes I sunk a lot of hours into Bf4 but compared to BF1 (if dice actually fixed it to work properly) id stick a lot more into this game than i did with bf4.
  • xBCxSEALxTEAMx6
    S0noran wrote: »
    Well, after playing Battlefield 1 I think the franchise did well in getting back into the past, but the theme does not really excite so much, I feel bored with the game, what really seduces gamers is the modern war but not the futuristic.
    It made me wonder how good it would be for a new battlefield to be focused on the modern era but not this BF4 high tech war
    The new battlefield should focus on the Cold War era, 80's 90's, when a huge amount of conflict took over the world.
    It should be divided into several environments such as conflicts in Africa, the Middle East and Europe.
    It is a historical way of reporting these conflicts in a modern language, Angola, Yugoslavia, Gulf War, Afghanistan.

Speak for yourself not the whole collective of gamer's. You don't know what excites me as I don't know what excites you so don't assume you speak for all of us.

I prefer the WW1/2 settings compared to present day settings due to the limited weapons and gadgets etc. Yes I sunk a lot of hours into Bf4 but compared to BF1 (if dice actually fixed it to work properly) id stick a lot more into this game than i did with bf4.

Right, i'm loving this WW1 honestly. It's just something different to explore. This and Verdun are getting my playing time. The games may have some problems, but the WW1 feature is really what has me coming back. I'll be honest, if this was another modern day shooter, or sci fi, i would've passed on it this time around.
  • GenesisMD5745
    544 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I would think that the next BF will be either modern-day or WWII (going by the PPSh-41 picture thread).

What I'd want however is either WWII (which again, we may get anyway), alternate Cold War, or maybe Korean War. Basically I'd like to see another war from the past. Not looking forward to future themed games at the moment.

Not that's it's gonna happen due to Hardline's unpopularity, but I also wouldn't mind a better and improved take on the cops vs criminals setting. I think trying to make the story focus on this criminal gang pulling off heists around the world would not only give the game maps that take place in different countries, but it'd also be more interesting than simply taking place in the US. Some people have even suggested a drug war theme. That could work as a DLC if DICE wanted to get crazy with the extra content. Maybe they could even have a prohibition-era DLC, which unfortunately Hardline did not have.
  • LOLGotYerTags
    14670 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    Moved to Off topic.

• UNIT0918
    56 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited September 2017
    I think the Battlefield 1 class system is great, but it could still use some tweaks. Every class aside from Assault encourages teamwork and gives you an opportunity to help your teammates. Medics heal, Supports drop ammo, Scouts spot. And vehicle classes encouraged players to not abandon their vehicles. It might help Assaults if they become like Battlefield 4's Engineers and be given vehicle repair tools.

This is just my personal opinion, but I do think vehicles should not be as powerful as they were in Battlefield 4. Case in point, in Battlefield 4, I don't think the best Engineer player could ever hope to beat the best tank or attack helicopter player. I think Battlefield 1 struck a good balance due to the limited nature of the WWI vehicles.

There should be a limit to how well a single vehicle player can do. Perhaps it can be balanced by having the driver only be able to use MGs, and requiring a second player to use explosive weapons (Isn't this closer to how real tanks were operated anyway?).
  • HonestSoul333
    1402 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Oh boi another one
  • GenesisMD5745
    544 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I would give my thoughts on the next Battlefield, but I've done so already about a dozen times.

Can we just get all these BF2018 threads put into one?
This discussion has been closed.