Glacia, possibly the worst map in bf history? (or just misunderstood)

Comments

  • aseveredfoot
    2278 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited September 2017
    Ok, so I played it last night, and I couldn't decide if I loved or hated it. I honestly think both.

    The feeling of utter exposure combined with occasionally poking your head out of cover to exchange fire was pretty intense, and the immersion from that kind of fighting is very good. I haven't had an FPS game instill that sense of 'fear' and stress in me since BC2, since half the time you have no idea when you're going to be fired upon or where it'll come from. So that part of it was honestly very cool.

    But it did wear on me towards the end of a round when the other team mostly reverted to playing scout and the bullet cracks became nearly a constant, any time you moved from cover to cover.

    I want to play it a few more times before making any real judgement, but I'd say it was an interesting challenge.

    But I'd say purely from an aesthetic standpoint I kind of hate how it looks. It reminds me of going hiking in the plains and marshes in winter in Wisconsin when I was growing up and it feels so dreary and depressing :D
  • Gforce81
    3148 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Ok, so I played it last night, and I couldn't decide if I loved or hated it. I honestly think both.

    The feeling of utter exposure combined with occasionally poking your head out of cover to exchange fire was pretty intense, and the immersion from that kind of fighting is very good. I haven't had an FPS game instill that sense of 'fear' and stress in me since BC2, since half the time you have no idea when you're going to be fired upon or where it'll come from. So that part of it was honestly very cool.

    But it did wear on me towards the end of a round when the other team mostly reverted to playing scout and the bullet cracks became nearly a constant, any time you moved from cover to cover.

    I want to play it a few more times before making any real judgement, but I'd say it was an interesting challenge.

    But I'd say purely from an aesthetic standpoint I kind of hate how it looks. It reminds me of going hiking in the plains and marshes in winter in Wisconsin when I was growing up and it feels so dreary and depressing :D

    Colorado native here:

    Plz explain how you go hiking in the plains?

    Isn't that just walking?
  • aseveredfoot
    2278 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Gforce81 wrote: »
    Ok, so I played it last night, and I couldn't decide if I loved or hated it. I honestly think both.

    The feeling of utter exposure combined with occasionally poking your head out of cover to exchange fire was pretty intense, and the immersion from that kind of fighting is very good. I haven't had an FPS game instill that sense of 'fear' and stress in me since BC2, since half the time you have no idea when you're going to be fired upon or where it'll come from. So that part of it was honestly very cool.

    But it did wear on me towards the end of a round when the other team mostly reverted to playing scout and the bullet cracks became nearly a constant, any time you moved from cover to cover.

    I want to play it a few more times before making any real judgement, but I'd say it was an interesting challenge.

    But I'd say purely from an aesthetic standpoint I kind of hate how it looks. It reminds me of going hiking in the plains and marshes in winter in Wisconsin when I was growing up and it feels so dreary and depressing :D

    Colorado native here:

    Plz explain how you go hiking in the plains?

    Isn't that just walking?

    Is this one of those "I live in a state that happens to contain mountains, so I am automatically more valid an outdoorsman" sort of comments?
  • Gforce81
    3148 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Gforce81 wrote: »
    Ok, so I played it last night, and I couldn't decide if I loved or hated it. I honestly think both.

    The feeling of utter exposure combined with occasionally poking your head out of cover to exchange fire was pretty intense, and the immersion from that kind of fighting is very good. I haven't had an FPS game instill that sense of 'fear' and stress in me since BC2, since half the time you have no idea when you're going to be fired upon or where it'll come from. So that part of it was honestly very cool.

    But it did wear on me towards the end of a round when the other team mostly reverted to playing scout and the bullet cracks became nearly a constant, any time you moved from cover to cover.

    I want to play it a few more times before making any real judgement, but I'd say it was an interesting challenge.

    But I'd say purely from an aesthetic standpoint I kind of hate how it looks. It reminds me of going hiking in the plains and marshes in winter in Wisconsin when I was growing up and it feels so dreary and depressing :D

    Colorado native here:

    Plz explain how you go hiking in the plains?

    Isn't that just walking?

    Is this one of those "I live in a state that happens to contain mountains, so I am automatically more valid an outdoorsman" sort of comments?

    No, just a general "I don't see how you can possibly hike in the plains" kind of comment.

    No one is more or less valid, I'm just curious.
  • Khronikos
    1307 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Map is better than Tsaritsyn.
  • jmgargoyle
    2421 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Gforce81 wrote: »
    Gforce81 wrote: »
    Ok, so I played it last night, and I couldn't decide if I loved or hated it. I honestly think both.

    The feeling of utter exposure combined with occasionally poking your head out of cover to exchange fire was pretty intense, and the immersion from that kind of fighting is very good. I haven't had an FPS game instill that sense of 'fear' and stress in me since BC2, since half the time you have no idea when you're going to be fired upon or where it'll come from. So that part of it was honestly very cool.

    But it did wear on me towards the end of a round when the other team mostly reverted to playing scout and the bullet cracks became nearly a constant, any time you moved from cover to cover.

    I want to play it a few more times before making any real judgement, but I'd say it was an interesting challenge.

    But I'd say purely from an aesthetic standpoint I kind of hate how it looks. It reminds me of going hiking in the plains and marshes in winter in Wisconsin when I was growing up and it feels so dreary and depressing :D

    Colorado native here:

    Plz explain how you go hiking in the plains?

    Isn't that just walking?

    Is this one of those "I live in a state that happens to contain mountains, so I am automatically more valid an outdoorsman" sort of comments?

    No, just a general "I don't see how you can possibly hike in the plains" kind of comment.

    No one is more or less valid, I'm just curious.

    hike
    hīk/Submit
    noun
    1.
    a long walk, especially in the country or wilderness.
    synonyms: walk, trek, tramp, trudge, slog, footslog, march; ramble
    "a five-mile hike"
    2.
    a sharp increase, especially in price.
    "fears of a hike in interest rates"
    verb
    1.
    walk for a long distance, especially across country or in the woods.
    "we planned to hike another mile up a steep trail"
    synonyms: walk, trek, tramp, tromp, trudge, slog, footslog, march; ramble, rove, traipse; informalhoof it, leg it
    "they hiked across the island


    Anything else you need to learn?
  • Gforce81
    3148 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    jmgargoyle wrote: »
    Gforce81 wrote: »
    Gforce81 wrote: »
    Ok, so I played it last night, and I couldn't decide if I loved or hated it. I honestly think both.

    The feeling of utter exposure combined with occasionally poking your head out of cover to exchange fire was pretty intense, and the immersion from that kind of fighting is very good. I haven't had an FPS game instill that sense of 'fear' and stress in me since BC2, since half the time you have no idea when you're going to be fired upon or where it'll come from. So that part of it was honestly very cool.

    But it did wear on me towards the end of a round when the other team mostly reverted to playing scout and the bullet cracks became nearly a constant, any time you moved from cover to cover.

    I want to play it a few more times before making any real judgement, but I'd say it was an interesting challenge.

    But I'd say purely from an aesthetic standpoint I kind of hate how it looks. It reminds me of going hiking in the plains and marshes in winter in Wisconsin when I was growing up and it feels so dreary and depressing :D

    Colorado native here:

    Plz explain how you go hiking in the plains?

    Isn't that just walking?

    Is this one of those "I live in a state that happens to contain mountains, so I am automatically more valid an outdoorsman" sort of comments?

    No, just a general "I don't see how you can possibly hike in the plains" kind of comment.

    No one is more or less valid, I'm just curious.

    hike
    hīk/Submit
    noun
    1.
    a long walk, especially in the country or wilderness.
    synonyms: walk, trek, tramp, trudge, slog, footslog, march; ramble
    "a five-mile hike"
    2.
    a sharp increase, especially in price.
    "fears of a hike in interest rates"
    verb
    1.
    walk for a long distance, especially across country or in the woods.
    "we planned to hike another mile up a steep trail"
    synonyms: walk, trek, tramp, tromp, trudge, slog, footslog, march; ramble, rove, traipse; informalhoof it, leg it
    "they hiked across the island


    Anything else you need to learn?

    Whatever man. I was trying to make a friendly joke. Let's just drop it.

    Hike in your pool for all I care
  • Skill4Reel
    298 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I disagree. This map is well made, and adds a different kind of battle environment. Map variety is what we should encourage developers to do. There is cover everywhere in the terrain. From the craters in the ground to the trenches. Very few building or tall objects to take cover behind puts a heavy emphasis on players using smoke to advance, and deter long range threats. I really like it.
  • RanzigeRidder2
    69 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    mortars already have smoke dude, it's on the dpad

    Thanks, I did not know this, and with me a lot of others I see from the reactions.
  • INCUBA3E-BF
    1931 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited September 2017
    so after reading some of posts I decided to replay this map and adjust, used nothing but the trenches and played more of a AA role with my lmg against planes, was actually pretty fun. also used the bipod a lot more on the sides of trenches to mow down enemies in no man's land

    map actually feels bit like verdun (if you've played that game) and more ww1 in style

    in short perhaps I was to quick to criticise, or perhaps the first 2 game's I had on this map were just awful, so I'll reserve judgement on this map
  • fisknyllet17
    1456 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I've played it 3 times and hate it. The maps do grow on me after a while though. I'll give it a fair shake after I'm done with the stupid assignments.
  • dcs500
    937 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I like it, it's a classic WW1 scenario. It's quite deceptive in the amount of cover there actually is, and I didn't feel snipers were a problem, in fact the whole DLC seems to have nerfed the Scout class. If anyone is benefiting from the openness of this map, it's the pilots.
  • Loqtrall
    10638 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited September 2017
    I have a feeling that most of the people who initially claim to hate the map went into it without thinking of how to traverse such a map first. For instance, I watched about 2-3 videos specifically about this map before I even played it (didn't get a chance to play the first day the DLC dropped), so I was aware of the river bed and the trench network, etc.

    I'm willing to bet most of the people claiming the map is trash hopped into a match and just started running around without paying attention to how they're SUPPOSED to traverse the map, and they got absolutely destroyed by people that were traversing the map like you're supposed to.

    I've seen people claim that it's "too open" and that results in a "sniper fest" and "if you're a sniper, you'll enjoy this map", but I've been killed by snipers probably the least of all classes on that map, if anything it's bipod LMGs taking me out the majority of the time.

    I'm almost absolutely certain that running around out in the open is a major contributing factor as to why some people think this map is trash.

    This map simply separates the sheep from the wolves. The people that have good map knowledge and awareness and that use the cover available are going to shred the people that don't care about map design and choose to run around out in the open anyway, and those people are going to think the map is trash solely because they don't want to switch up their run-n-gun playstyle and that results in them getting slayed.
  • ahxe45
    88 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Believe it or not every time this map came up for a vote at the end of a match it won by a longshot so it seems a lot of people must like it. I also was not a huge fan the first match i played on it but once I figured out the trench network it has started to grow on me. I have gotten some of my highest k/d ratios ever besides from using vehicles on this map just from picking people off that are running out in the open.
  • jmgargoyle
    2421 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Gforce81 wrote: »
    jmgargoyle wrote: »
    Gforce81 wrote: »
    Gforce81 wrote: »
    Ok, so I played it last night, and I couldn't decide if I loved or hated it. I honestly think both.

    The feeling of utter exposure combined with occasionally poking your head out of cover to exchange fire was pretty intense, and the immersion from that kind of fighting is very good. I haven't had an FPS game instill that sense of 'fear' and stress in me since BC2, since half the time you have no idea when you're going to be fired upon or where it'll come from. So that part of it was honestly very cool.

    But it did wear on me towards the end of a round when the other team mostly reverted to playing scout and the bullet cracks became nearly a constant, any time you moved from cover to cover.

    I want to play it a few more times before making any real judgement, but I'd say it was an interesting challenge.

    But I'd say purely from an aesthetic standpoint I kind of hate how it looks. It reminds me of going hiking in the plains and marshes in winter in Wisconsin when I was growing up and it feels so dreary and depressing :D

    Colorado native here:

    Plz explain how you go hiking in the plains?

    Isn't that just walking?

    Is this one of those "I live in a state that happens to contain mountains, so I am automatically more valid an outdoorsman" sort of comments?

    No, just a general "I don't see how you can possibly hike in the plains" kind of comment.

    No one is more or less valid, I'm just curious.

    hike
    hīk/Submit
    noun
    1.
    a long walk, especially in the country or wilderness.
    synonyms: walk, trek, tramp, trudge, slog, footslog, march; ramble
    "a five-mile hike"
    2.
    a sharp increase, especially in price.
    "fears of a hike in interest rates"
    verb
    1.
    walk for a long distance, especially across country or in the woods.
    "we planned to hike another mile up a steep trail"
    synonyms: walk, trek, tramp, tromp, trudge, slog, footslog, march; ramble, rove, traipse; informalhoof it, leg it
    "they hiked across the island


    Anything else you need to learn?

    Whatever man. I was trying to make a friendly joke. Let's just drop it.

    Hike in your pool for all I care

    I can hike in the mountains where I live also.
  • jmgargoyle
    2421 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Loqtrall wrote: »
    I have a feeling that most of the people who initially claim to hate the map went into it without thinking of how to traverse such a map first. For instance, I watched about 2-3 videos specifically about this map before I even played it (didn't get a chance to play the first day the DLC dropped), so I was aware of the river bed and the trench network, etc.

    I'm willing to bet most of the people claiming the map is trash hopped into a match and just started running around without paying attention to how they're SUPPOSED to traverse the map, and they got absolutely destroyed by people that were traversing the map like you're supposed to.

    I've seen people claim that it's "too open" and that results in a "sniper fest" and "if you're a sniper, you'll enjoy this map", but I've been killed by snipers probably the least of all classes on that map, if anything it's bipod LMGs taking me out the majority of the time.

    I'm almost absolutely certain that running around out in the open is a major contributing factor as to why some people think this map is trash.

    This map simply separates the sheep from the wolves. The people that have good map knowledge and awareness and that use the cover available are going to shred the people that don't care about map design and choose to run around out in the open anyway, and those people are going to think the map is trash solely because they don't want to switch up their run-n-gun playstyle and that results in them getting slayed.

    No. I went 20-9 yet I still didn't care for it.
  • GuN_sLiNgErXD15
    458 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Maybe I was wrong about this one, honestly I told everyone in chat this map sucked and then we had the best round with the other team back capping and breaking out after a strong start.

    The problem isn't really with the map at all but with the team balance, if your team is bad the spawn camping is brutal but with evenly matched sides it's a hoot.



  • chaotic_xXx_kiwi
    338 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I went into it thinking would be a snipers paradise going on what you've been saying. I got sniped once o actually thought was a fun map to play plenty of cover with trenches and craters to shelter in
  • jmgargoyle
    2421 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I went into it thinking would be a snipers paradise going on what you've been saying. I got sniped once o actually thought was a fun map to play plenty of cover with trenches and craters to shelter in

    If you like camping in one spot I guess..... even in the riverbed/trench I was getting sniped from a hill in the distance today....unless your in a plane/vehicle, it's a campers dream map...
  • Loqtrall
    10638 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    jmgargoyle wrote: »

    No. I went 20-9 yet I still didn't care for it.

    That's why I said "most" people, Mr. Snowflake. You don't have to point out you're not one of them.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!