Having trouble accessing the forums? Try logging out of the forums completely - clear cache, cookies, and temp files - then restart the browser and log in. Thanks!

Maxim SMG 08

Gforce81
1942 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
What are your thoughts on the new TSAR SMG? I'm definitely not an SMG guy at all, but I unlock it this weekend and thought I'd give it a try.

Its pretty decent I suppose, it has my favorite number as its mag size, so that is a plus. Fires real slow, I don't have the exact values in front of me, but its by far the slowest firing Assault weapon, even behind the Ribeye.

Feels like it might be a good flanking weapon. If you can sneak around a group of enemies, you get 81 rounds to churn out at em. And you won't have to wrangle the recoil in either, it's pretty stable for an SMG. Just don't expect to mow through a lot of guys in CQB. You're gonna get beat out by a lot of things. Tiny damage, combined with very slow ROF.

Its an interesting combination for an SMG. I doubt this one see's much use compared to the Automatico and HR, with the occasional Ribeye thrown in. Feels very much like a defensive type Assault weapon, kinda akin to the HR defensive.

I would guess the Optical variant might be a little better, that will be the next one to work towards. 50 Kills with the Automatico trench shouldn't be too bad. So far I like the Maxim SMG, its a bit of an oddball, in how it looks and operates.

Comments

• l_water_l
    980 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    It's a support LMG in the assault class so you have to play it like one.
  • HardAimedKid
    9865 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I've used it only a little, but I love it so far
  • ANGRYharold
    748 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    It's the coolest looking SMG in the game by far, especially with the Legendary skin, but it's really not that useful. It seems to fit the same niche that the Huot does in the Support class, which is accurate, mid-range capabilities. This comparison also draws attention to it's biggest problem, however, which is the spread of SMG's. If the Maxim had the same negative spread decrease (or is it increase?) that the LMG's do, it would be much better. The TTK is long at the range where it's supposed to excel, but sustained fire results in massive spread.

I think it needs a bit of tweaking to compete, but I love the idea of it.
  • grrlpurple
    415 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Play it at longer range than the other smgs and it's a great gun to run with :-)
  • Gforce81
    It's the coolest looking SMG in the game by far, especially with the Legendary skin, but it's really not that useful. It seems to fit the same niche that the Huot does in the Support class, which is accurate, mid-range capabilities. This comparison also draws attention to it's biggest problem, however, which is the spread of SMG's. If the Maxim had the same negative spread decrease (or is it increase?) that the LMG's do, it would be much better. The TTK is long at the range where it's supposed to excel, but sustained fire results in massive spread.

I think it needs a bit of tweaking to compete, but I love the idea of it.

I was noticing that too. I kept getting fooled that I did actually have an LMG, and kept expecting the negative recoil mechanic kick in. It never did of course being an SMG

I had a little better luck doing long clips of sustained fire, but giving it little breaks in between. Like 10-15 rounds, then ease off for a second or two before you begin again. I can definetley see the Huot similarities
  • Bossman1794
    870 postsMember, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    It's an interesting SMG,

Like some have said, it plays kind of like an LMG in that it has a high capacity, low recoil and fairly moderate spread. It definitely straddles close to medium range which is nice as the Assault doesn't have too many weapons like that. The Ribbey comes close but that has to be bipodded to get a decent effect.

I'll probably be using it quite a bit going forward to suss it out a little bit more.
  • gk9n6t7op
    77 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    When I look at the stats for this gun it really shouldn't be that good but...somehow I'm doing really well with it. The spread is really small so almost all the bullets are on target and that mag size is just great for an smg. I've killed so many players in the middle of a reload already. Makes me think I need to go check our the LMGs again as most have a large mag size and they just got a buff.
  • mihai2011rom
    674 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I already got 1 star for each. I prefer the optical. It's good for multikills if you have the element of surprise. You lose 1v 1 against automaticos and hellriegels. It's quite mediocre. Would not use again.
  • crabman169
    9652 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Got the service star for the factory last night; cool little smg (néed to stop reloading every 5 shots)

I belive its spread gets worse the longer you hold that trigger so tap firing or bursts seem better at range. It fires at 450 rpm with the mp18 at 550 and Hel at 650 and they all have the same damage model. Overheats at 45 rounds of continuous fire.

Stick with it; I do belive the optical is the better variant but I do like the irons (except that they are blurry and pixelated...)
  • robmcewen
    1289 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Wasnt in a rush to unlock it as I had tried it in the CTE and wasn't impressed with. In a previous thread which was asking where it belongs, I said in the bin but I take it back I'm loving it.

As you've said it's a great gun to catch the enemies flank got few nice squad wipes with it first time using it on Volga river map when playing conquest. Also, the legendary skin looks real nice on it.

P.S One of the unlocks requirement where it say's you have to kill 5 tanks with landmines, but I did find that artillery truck count toward unlocking it. Handy when most of the DLC maps don't have tanks on them.
  • PopsicleStealer
    292 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Still farming 10 kills with AT nade for it....
  • AaronTheZombie
    228 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    It's a solid gun. A midrange Assault weapon with a large ammo capacity fits a niche only covered by the Hellriegl Defensive so it has that going for it. But I prefer the Ribeyrolles overall for various reasons.
  • Gforce81
    Can I just say the Automatico trench is hot garbage??

Used it for the first time to unlock the Optical Maxim, never touched it before. That was the most frustrating grind so far.

Maybe my mistake was keeping it equipped through the new DLC maps, but I wanted to work on an unlock and play the new maps at the same time. Yuck.

I'll never touch that thing again.

Didn't get to use the Optical maxim very much before I had to call it a night
  • boutneus
    1426 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Feels like the madsen storm but with a huge clip
  • aseveredfoot
    1770 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I kinda like it. I'm still getting used to it, and it seems to have a real sweet spot for range. Too close and you get shredded, too far and you get taken out by SLRs and LMGs. Seems like a 20-60 meter-ish gun.

The Ribeye is still my choice if I want some range though, with the bipod and damage model it can compete with LMGs a bit, reminds me of a mini-Madsen without the big magazine on top.

Now if I could just stop compulsively reloading the SMG 08, I'd probably get more out of it.
  • dj4047
    132 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I was actually surprised by the gun. I briefly used it for maybe 2 minutes in the CTE and watched some youtube videos, didnt care for it much. Unlocked it and decided I would challenge myself and use it. I have started to really like it. Has almost no recoil which is a big factor in my weapon choice. This gun is definately not for close quarters but it is a fairly strong weapon. It doesnt take the place of the MP18 for me but its not bad at all.
  • GrizzGolf
    191 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I love it since I suck with the MP18
  • CS-2107
    336 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    It is kinda between Assault and Support right in the spot that noone needs. Sure it can be decent, but the others are generally speaking just better. I think it could use a damage buff at range and maybe a LMG characteristic by having increased accuracy after firing for a while.
  • OrionPherrit
    140 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Cute little thing. <3 Might not beat Beretta or a shotty at kniferange CQB, but still variety is the spice of life. I haven't had much time on the MiniMax8, as I have to grind away for other new guns. :# Gotta spread that love wide.