Glacia, possibly the worst map in bf history? (or just misunderstood)

Comments

• jmgargoyle
    2354 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Loqtrall wrote: »
    jmgargoyle wrote: »

No. I went 20-9 yet I still didn't care for it.

That's why I said "most" people, Mr. Snowflake. You don't have to point out you're not one of them.

Now I'm a snowflake because I don't agree with you on map styles?
  • Loqtrall
    8371 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

That's why I said "most" people, Mr. Snowflake. You don't have to point out you're not one of them.

No, you're a snowflake because you individualized yourself in a situation that didn't require you to. I didn't say ALL people who disliked the map do so because they had bad games on it, I said MOST people who dislike the map do. But you still came out of nowhere and straight proclaimed I was wrong with a flat "No." because YOU did good in a match and still dislike the map.

There are literal examples in this thread of people who claimed the map was terrible, but then had better matches and now think the map is alright. Prime examples of my claims that most people more than likely hate the map because they got destroyed on it the first couple times they played it.
  • jmgargoyle
    2354 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

No, you're a snowflake because you individualized yourself in a situation that didn't require you to. I didn't say ALL people who disliked the map do so because they had bad games on it, I said MOST people who dislike the map do. But you still came out of nowhere and straight proclaimed I was wrong with a flat "No." because YOU did good in a match and still dislike the map.

There are literal examples in this thread of people who claimed the map was terrible, but then had better matches and now think the map is alright. Prime examples of my claims that most people more than likely hate the map because they got destroyed on it the first couple times they played it.

Sorry but I didn't "come out of nowhere" as I was one of the people that posted that I didn't like the map.... but your comment was basically people like me were "mad be cuz bad" in a sense and I chose to speak up against it. But nowhere was I condescending towards you and calling you stupid names was I?
  • LOLGotYerTags
    6203 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Moderator
    @Loqtrall
    72 hours for toxic and baiting posts.

You do not have to agree with other people's opinions but we expect you to respect their opinions and post amicably, You know.. like an adult.

• Loqtrall
    8371 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

Sorry but I didn't "come out of nowhere" as I was one of the people that posted that I didn't like the map.... but your comment was basically people like me were "mad be cuz bad" in a sense and I chose to speak up against it. But nowhere was I condescending towards you and calling you stupid names was I?

You did come out nowhere in response to me. My comment did not reference people like you at all. People like you are obviously people that did good in a match on Galicia and still didn't like it.

If I say MOST of the people claiming Galicia is horrible PROBABLY had a horrible match - that statement obviously wasn't referencing people like you.

Again, there are already examples in this thread of guys who claimed the map was bad and unplayable, who now say it's alright and that they may have just had a bad match or two.
  • M16a3_is_Haram
    42 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    It's definitely one of the worst for sure, luckily the playerbase has realised this and it always gets outvoted by a large margin on the vote next map option.
  • aseveredfoot
    1948 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited September 13
    Gforce81 wrote: »
    Ok, so I played it last night, and I couldn't decide if I loved or hated it. I honestly think both.

The feeling of utter exposure combined with occasionally poking your head out of cover to exchange fire was pretty intense, and the immersion from that kind of fighting is very good. I haven't had an FPS game instill that sense of 'fear' and stress in me since BC2, since half the time you have no idea when you're going to be fired upon or where it'll come from. So that part of it was honestly very cool.

But it did wear on me towards the end of a round when the other team mostly reverted to playing scout and the bullet cracks became nearly a constant, any time you moved from cover to cover.

I want to play it a few more times before making any real judgement, but I'd say it was an interesting challenge.

But I'd say purely from an aesthetic standpoint I kind of hate how it looks. It reminds me of going hiking in the plains and marshes in winter in Wisconsin when I was growing up and it feels so dreary and depressing :D

Colorado native here:

Plz explain how you go hiking in the plains?

Isn't that just walking?

Is this one of those "I live in a state that happens to contain mountains, so I am automatically more valid an outdoorsman" sort of comments?

No, just a general "I don't see how you can possibly hike in the plains" kind of comment.

No one is more or less valid, I'm just curious.

hike
    hīk/Submit
    noun
    a long walk, especially in the country or wilderness.
    synonyms: walk, trek, tramp, trudge, slog, footslog, march; ramble
    "a five-mile hike"
    a sharp increase, especially in price.
    "fears of a hike in interest rates"
    verb
    walk for a long distance, especially across country or in the woods.
    "we planned to hike another mile up a steep trail"
    synonyms: walk, trek, tramp, tromp, trudge, slog, footslog, march; ramble, rove, traipse; informalhoof it, leg it
    "they hiked across the island

Anything else you need to learn?

Whatever man. I was trying to make a friendly joke. Let's just drop it.

Hike in your pool for all I care

It's fine lol... Try hiking in a Southern Wisconsin plain or prairie in the dead of summer though, it's hell on earth. No escape from the sun, blackbirds dive bombing you... I've hiked Rainier, Diablo and in the Appalachians so I get it, but prairies/plains hikes can be pretty trying in their own way.

But anyway I've played Galicia a few more times, and although I want to hate it, I can't. You can avoid the snipers if you play carefully, and it honestly has my heart racing when I play there, just because you need to keep super vigilant all the time and stretch your gaze as far as you can.

Plus after a year playing, I finally learned how to do the full-on running dive to go prone, so I can use those craters to their max now.
  • jmgargoyle
    Ok, so I played it last night, and I couldn't decide if I loved or hated it. I honestly think both.

The feeling of utter exposure combined with occasionally poking your head out of cover to exchange fire was pretty intense, and the immersion from that kind of fighting is very good. I haven't had an FPS game instill that sense of 'fear' and stress in me since BC2, since half the time you have no idea when you're going to be fired upon or where it'll come from. So that part of it was honestly very cool.

But it did wear on me towards the end of a round when the other team mostly reverted to playing scout and the bullet cracks became nearly a constant, any time you moved from cover to cover.

I want to play it a few more times before making any real judgement, but I'd say it was an interesting challenge.

But I'd say purely from an aesthetic standpoint I kind of hate how it looks. It reminds me of going hiking in the plains and marshes in winter in Wisconsin when I was growing up and it feels so dreary and depressing :D

Colorado native here:

Isn't that just walking?

Is this one of those "I live in a state that happens to contain mountains, so I am automatically more valid an outdoorsman" sort of comments?

No, just a general "I don't see how you can possibly hike in the plains" kind of comment.

hike
    hīk/Submit
    noun
    "a five-mile hike"
    verb
    synonyms: walk, trek, tramp, tromp, trudge, slog, footslog, march; ramble, rove, traipse; informalhoof it, leg it

It's fine lol... Try hiking in a Southern Wisconsin plain or prairie in the dead of summer though, it's hell on earth. No escape from the sun, blackbirds dive bombing you... I've hiked Rainier, Diablo and in the Appalachians so I get it, but prairies/plains hikes can be pretty trying in their own way.

But anyway I've played Galicia a few more times, and although I want to hate it, I can't. You can avoid the snipers if you play carefully, and it honestly has my heart racing when I play there, just because you need to keep super vigilant all the time and stretch your gaze as far as you can.

Plus after a year playing, I finally learned how to do the full-on running dive to go prone, so I can use those craters to their max now.

A southern Wisconsin hike is he'll on earth in the summer? I bet you would really hate hiking where I live then!( Phoenix Arizona with average temperature 105+ in summer) as for the map, I've played it quite a bit but it's still last on my list. It's ok as far as the trenches go, but trying to traverse overland (where needed) from objective to objective just tends to pad sniper scores in my opinion....
  • aseveredfoot
    1948 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

Colorado native here:

Isn't that just walking?

hike
    hīk/Submit
    noun
    "a five-mile hike"
    verb

A southern Wisconsin hike is he'll on earth in the summer? I bet you would really hate hiking where I live then!( Phoenix Arizona with average temperature 105+ in summer) as for the map, I've played it quite a bit but it's still last on my list. It's ok as far as the trenches go, but trying to traverse overland (where needed) from objective to objective just tends to pad sniper scores in my opinion....

Eh, we get triple digit days in Wisco too, generally paired with 80%+ humidity.

And it's definitely least favorite of all the new maps, but it's not like the French DLC where I was bleh on most of it, apart from Prise and Soissons.
  • Khronikos
    865 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

There are many reasons people hate this map, and it isn't just because people are doing badly. These maps are almost all wide open maps. Me personally I think this DLC mostly sucks. It's okay for a break, but no way in hell is this going to be where I put my playtime. I can't name one map I truly love yet from the entire DLC. That is never a good sign.

I don't mind a couple of them, but 2 of them I completely despise. Galicia is just another random open field map. These maps are much easier to make than say Amiens and require almost no strategic research.

Seriously, this map is basically an open field lol. They have been crapping out way too many of this style with the DLC.
  • Khronikos
    865 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    It's definitely one of the worst for sure, luckily the playerbase has realised this and it always gets outvoted by a large margin on the vote next map option.

Honestly, you can almost guarantee after the OMG Russian snow thing wears off this DLC is not going to be all that popular except for snipers. IMO anyway. A lot of this DLC is just random open field gameplay. I can't stand it for the most part unless I am suiting up with a great squad. With randoms it's mostly useless.
  • Loqtrall
    Khronikos wrote: »
    I can't name one map I truly love yet from the entire DLC. That is never a good sign.

How is that never a good sign? It's entirely subjective.

I'm pretty sure the flat-ness of Galicia is a major selling point of the map for a lot of people. It's probably one of the most WW1 trench warfare esque/no-man's-land maps released thus far, which has obviously been something wanted by many in this community since day 1.

The fact that it's a map that requires more brainwork for maneuvering, that punishes people who try to mindlessly run around in circles out in the open from OBJ to OBJ like they do in other maps is a huge plus for me, and all I play is Medic.

There's plenty of cover on the map to utilize, it just forces you to actually move wisely and KNOW the areas of the map, instead of sprinting to objectives out in the open because there's not 14 trees and 7 buildings to hide behind on the way to the next obj.

Believe it or not, not every map layout has to be even similar - there were battlefields fought on in WW1 that were literally almost empty fields with foxholes and trenches, not every battle was fought in a city rife with buildings to hide in/behind, or townships with bridges, rolling hills, and barns.

Hell, not even all of the maps in this DLC are "wide open". How are Albion, Tsaritsyn, Volga, or Brusilov "wide open"? Brusilove has a township with buildings, a tower, and two bridges between two sides of the map, Tsaritsyn is separated by two parts of a city on either side of the map and a huge mosque in the middle, Albion is a chain of islands and the most "open" space it has is sniping from one island to another, and on Volga at any given obj you can only see one or two adjacent objectives at any time unless you're staring at C to G/F or C to B/A. You can't see from one side of the map to the other from spawn to spawn in any of those maps - hell, aside from the train-tracks side of Lupkow, it isn't even that "open" on the other half of the map (like a Sinai Desert situation).

People's reaction to disliking this map is just really overblown in some cases. It's not a horrible map, it's just not a map SOME people enjoy playing. Just like the 24/7 Siege of Shanghai guys in BF4 didn't like playing on Golmud, or the 24/7 Metro-Locker guys didn't like playing on literally anything else.

It's just a different type of map, catering to players who are more careful, pay more attention, and don't make stupid moves. The mere fact that people on day 1 of the DLC dropping were coming to the forum claiming that this map had NO cover at all is just evidence of the overreaction - people were judging this map before they had even figured out how to move around on it, let alone PTFO on it effectively.
  • M16a3_is_Haram
    42 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I can't name one map I truly love yet from the entire DLC. That is never a good sign.

I'm pretty sure the flat-ness of Galicia is a major selling point of the map for a lot of people. It's probably one of the most WW1 trench warfare esque/no-man's-land maps released thus far, which has obviously been something wanted by many in this community since day 1.

The fact that it's a map that requires more brainwork for maneuvering, that punishes people who try to mindlessly run around in circles out in the open from OBJ to OBJ like they do in other maps is a huge plus for me, and all I play is Medic.

There's plenty of cover on the map to utilize, it just forces you to actually move wisely and KNOW the areas of the map, instead of sprinting to objectives out in the open because there's not 14 trees and 7 buildings to hide behind on the way to the next obj.

Believe it or not, not every map layout has to be even similar - there were battlefields fought on in WW1 that were literally almost empty fields with foxholes and trenches, not every battle was fought in a city rife with buildings to hide in/behind, or townships with bridges, rolling hills, and barns.

Hell, not even all of the maps in this DLC are "wide open". How are Albion, Tsaritsyn, Volga, or Brusilov "wide open"? Brusilove has a township with buildings, a tower, and two bridges between two sides of the map, Tsaritsyn is separated by two parts of a city on either side of the map and a huge mosque in the middle, Albion is a chain of islands and the most "open" space it has is sniping from one island to another, and on Volga at any given obj you can only see one or two adjacent objectives at any time unless you're staring at C to G/F or C to B/A. You can't see from one side of the map to the other from spawn to spawn in any of those maps - hell, aside from the train-tracks side of Lupkow, it isn't even that "open" on the other half of the map (like a Sinai Desert situation).

People's reaction to disliking this map is just really overblown in some cases. It's not a horrible map, it's just not a map SOME people enjoy playing. Just like the 24/7 Siege of Shanghai guys in BF4 didn't like playing on Golmud, or the 24/7 Metro-Locker guys didn't like playing on literally anything else.

It's just a different type of map, catering to players who are more careful, pay more attention, and don't make stupid moves. The mere fact that people on day 1 of the DLC dropping were coming to the forum claiming that this map had NO cover at all is just evidence of the overreaction - people were judging this map before they had even figured out how to move around on it, let alone PTFO on it effectively.

You spend far too much time telling people they are wrong for not liking something.
  • bmatazz
    236 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Try the maps in operations you would be surprised how well they play
  • JediMastaWyn
    153 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I think it's a great map. Love the wide open space.
  • Loqtrall

You spend far too much time telling people they are wrong for not liking something.

And I'm guessing you spent an equal amount of time not reading what I actually said.

I didn't say anybody was "wrong" for disliking anything. I told the guy that not every map has to be one he personally likes, and claiming every map in the DLC is "wide open" is just not true at all.

At least read next time.
  • M16a3_is_Haram

And I'm guessing you spent an equal amount of time not reading what I actually said.

I didn't say anybody was "wrong" for disliking anything. I told the guy that not every map has to be one he personally likes, and claiming every map in the DLC is "wide open" is just not true at all.

At least read next time.

I spent even less time, you were already warned not to be salty because others don't like something. I suggest you watch it or you will be banned again.
  • The_Flngersmith
    145 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited September 14
    To be honest I'm seriously unimpressed by all the DLC we've gotten so far, in total.

New maps suck, half the new guns suck, and to top it all they make you jump through hoops to get your hands on the new sucky guns.

Played 3 minutes of Volga River on CQ and had to physically remove myself from the room lest I throw up all over my controller.
  • Loqtrall

I spent even less time, you were already warned not to be salty because others don't like something. I suggest you watch it or you will be banned again.

Lol as if, I got petty banned because I called a guy a name - nothing more. I suggest you actually read responses and comment on topic before this quote becomes ironic.
  • Khronikos
    edited September 14

Lol as if, I got petty banned because I called a guy a name - nothing more. I suggest you actually read responses and comment on topic before this quote becomes ironic.

You are acting like in a random match with random players that you can actually move well on these maps. Of course people in ELITE squads with an 85% win percentage are going to like everything they do. They never struggle, and mostly mop up noobs all day.

People that actually have to play with tankers that run away from your wrench and others that refuse to revive you are less fortunate.

I never once said that all the maps are terrible. I basically have said that without friends these maps are insanely hard to manage at times, and yes a few of them are actually terrible.

Tsaritsyn is purely garbage. You can try and defend a poor map all you want, but at this point no map is poor to you. You'll defend any and every map ever made. Congratulations at having no critical faculties. The whole game is the greatest thing, and Tsar is even greater than that! YAY, go cheerleader go!

I don't care that open fields are what WW1 was all about. That is BS anyway. Half the time that is NOT even the case as stalemates IN trenches were a big problem. In other places there was plenty of open combat in many different places. People were not just fighting in open fields with tanks coming at them all the time lol.

I don't mind a Tsar map now and then. But if it is not Volga well chances are I really don't even want to play it. Have not played Albion enough on decent teams to have any clue if it is fair and balanced. The rest are okay to mediocre to straight up bottom of the barrel.